Can you help this poor French-speaking fan? :(

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 19 years ago

I just watched again all the 1980 series! :D It was great! I understand English very well so I understood 99.9999% of everything but of course, there is something I can't understand in one of my favorite scenes... <_<

In the Hijacked Airship, Astro tries skydiving from the roof of the school and crashes. :lol: Then Daddy Walrus yells at him, saying "Well if you're going to be a human, I don't want you pulling anymore irresponsible stunts or...." ????????????? I'm just curious about the end of that sentence, because I understand from the next "And don't forget..." sentence.

And while I am at it, it's not really important but when Alvin goes to Daddy Walrus just before that, he said Astro has gone "........". Has gone what...? :unsure: Seems like a word I've never heard before...

I remember having recorded that episode and watched it many times many years ago so I remembered it really well and believe it or not, this whole scene was cut out of the French version. WHY!!!!!!?????? :angry:

Strange Wings
Beyond the Stars

Postby Strange Wings » 19 years ago

Originally posted by Astro forever+Apr 15 2005, 07:55 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Astro forever @ Apr 15 2005, 07:55 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> In the Hijacked Airship, Astro tries skydiving from the roof of the school and crashes. :lol: Then Daddy Walrus yells at him, saying "Well if you're going to be a human, I don't want you pulling anymore irresponsible stunts or...." ????????????? I'm just curious about the end of that sentence, because I understand from the next "And don't forget..." sentence.
[/b]

I think I can help here:
"Well if you're going to be a human, I don't want you pulling anymore irresponsible stunts or you'll wreck us up for sure!"
:lol:

Originally posted by -Astro forever@Apr 15 2005, 07:55 AM
And while I am at it, it's not really important but when Alvin goes to Daddy Walrus just before that, he said Astro has gone "........". Has gone what...? :unsure:  Seems like a word I've never heard before...

The word is haywire, equivalent to terms like 'totally messed up', 'gone crazy' or 'gone broken'. I too have had a hard time to eventually understand this word's meaning.

There are a few spoken sentences throughout the 80's version on which I also have trouble to understand. I'll post them here sometime, maybe someone can help me too ;) .

<!--QuoteBegin--Astro forever
@Apr 15 2005, 07:55 AM
I remember having recorded that episode and watched it many times many years ago so I remembered it really well and believe it or not, this whole scene was cut out of the French version. WHY!!!!!!??????  :angry: [/quote]

AFAIK all eps of the french version were edited down, though I still don't know the exact reason. The 'protecting kids from violent scenes' clearly falls away as they had scenes deleted which aren't violent at all :angry: .
Another possible reason I thought about is that they had removed certain scenes because of time schedule reasons. Remember this competition game at every episode's end? Maybe that had taken some time away for showing all of the unedited scenes.
「頼むから、仕事をさせてくれ」
- 手塚治虫先生の最後の言葉

Astro Forever
Administrator

Thank you very much, Strange Wings! :) "Wreck up" isn't even in my dictionnary but if it is related to "wreck" I guess I understand the meaning. "Haywire" is but I couldn't spell it so I didn't find it. Hey, at least I learned something from watching all this! :wahah:

There are a few spoken sentences throughout the 80's version on which I also have trouble to understand. I'll post them here sometime, maybe someone can help me too ;) .

That would be a good idea. Overall I thought the pronounciation was great though. :)

AFAIK all eps of the french version were edited down, though I still don't know the exact reason. The 'protecting kids from violent scenes' clearly falls away as they had scenes deleted which aren't violent at all :angry: .
Another possible reason I thought about is that they had removed certain scenes because of time schedule reasons. Remember this competition game at every episode's end? Maybe that had taken some time away for showing all of the unedited scenes.

Yes, ALL the episodes I have on tape or remember well have some missing scenes. Many of them are touching or funny scenes; there was no reason to cut them, as you said. And in Canada, commercials are forbidden during children's programs so even with the game at the end it could have easily fit in 25 minutes. I wonder if the decision was taken in France or in Canada since I think we all saw the same version.

fafner
Cosmic Ranger

Postby fafner » 19 years ago

Originally posted by Strange Wings+Apr 15 2005, 08:37 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Strange Wings @ Apr 15 2005, 08:37 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Another possible reason I thought about is that they had removed certain scenes because of time schedule reasons. Remember this competition game at every episode's end? Maybe that had taken some time away for showing all of the unedited scenes.[/b]

If this is the reason, I would prefer them not to slaughter the episodes even if that means no competition game at the end of the episode <_< My 2 cents...
<!--QuoteBegin--Astro forever
@Apr 15 2005, 09:19 AM
That would be a good idea. Overall I thought the pronounciation was great though. :) [/quote]
So far, the English version of the 1980 and 2000 Astroboy episodes are the only serie I know that I can understand at almost 100%, the only one where I can understand several consecutive minutes without any disruption at all. For comparison, the Simpsons are far behind with barely 90% of understanding :D
The real sign that someone has become a fanatic is that he completely loses his sense of humor about some important facet of his life. When humor goes, it means he's lost his perspective.

Wedge Antilles
Star Wars - Exile

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Postby DrFrag » 19 years ago

Originally posted by Astro forever@Apr 15 2005, 06:19 PM
And in Canada, commercials are forbidden during children's programs so even with the game at the end it could have easily fit in 25 minutes.

Commercials are forbidden? That's cool. B)

The only full French episode I've seen is Deux par Deux / Uran's Twin. They've cut out about 6 minutes of footage, then inserted another 3 minutes at the end with the competition game and scenes of Astro flying around.
The English version had about 1 minute cut, then a bit added at the end of Astro flying around.

If they cut nothing and still added the competition game, it would have run to about 27 minutes.

I noticed a brief shot of another programme before the French version started of what looked like The Laff-a-Bits. We were subject to this in Australia too. :D

I think I can help here:
"Well if you're going to be a human, I don't want you pulling anymore irresponsible stunts or you'll wreck us up for sure!"

I think it's:
"Well if you're going to be a human, I don't want you pulling anymore irresponsible stunts or you'll wreck yourself for sure!"

Strange Wings
Beyond the Stars

Originally posted by DrFrag@Apr 15 2005, 08:18 PM
I think it's:
"Well if you're going to be a human, I don't want you pulling anymore irresponsible stunts or you'll wreck yourself for sure!"

Duh! Of course!
:unsure: Why should Daddy Walrus and his class wreck up themselves. Well, another exemple of misunderstanding speeches.

Thanks for the correction :) .
「頼むから、仕事をさせてくれ」

- 手塚治虫先生の最後の言葉

Astro Forever
Administrator

Originally posted by Strange Wings+Apr 15 2005, 02:49 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Strange Wings @ Apr 15 2005, 02:49 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--DrFrag@Apr 15 2005, 08:18 PM
I think it's:

Duh! Of course!
:unsure: Why should Daddy Walrus and his class wreck up themselves. Well, another exemple of misunderstanding speeches.

Thanks for the correction :) . [/b][/quote]
Well since Daddy Walrus had just said he almost had a cardiac arrest, seeing Astro doing it again might have killed him! ;)

It would have been cool if Astro had at least tried a few twists and sommersaults in his dive though! :wahah:

Strange Wings
Beyond the Stars

「頼むから、仕事をさせてくれ」

- 手塚治虫先生の最後の言葉

Astro Forever
Administrator

Another one... :huh: It's not a crucial one but it bugs me each time I hear it. ;)

In Robot Land, when Astro is fighting Devil King, as Astro is holding to the ball and chain coming out of Devil King's body, Devil King says I'll make you.............?, to which Astro answers Oh no, you won't!

Anybody knows what Devil King says?

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Postby DrFrag » 19 years ago

Originally posted by Astro forever@Jun 3 2005, 12:47 PM
In Robot Land, when Astro is fighting Devil King, as Astro is holding to the ball and chain coming out of Devil King's body, Devil King says [b]I'll make you.............?, to which Astro answers Oh no, you won't!

Anybody knows what Devil King says? [/b]

"I'll make you suffer for this!"

(isn't that Atlas's voice?)

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”