Random Observations

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Postby DrFrag » 18 years ago

Originally posted by Astro forever@Sep 19 2005, 12:15 PM
Looks like Bora is in this episode:

Both Boras. The one on the left is from the 1980s series, the grey one next to it is the version used in the Manga (and 60s series I suppose).

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 18 years ago

Originally posted by Astro forever+Sep 18 2005, 10:50 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Astro forever @ Sep 18 2005, 10:50 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--jeffbert@Sep 18 2005, 10:43 PM
television uses a 5:4 (1.333) width to height ratio. This image is 360:270, which reduces to 1.25. That is not much of a difference, & in fact may be no difference at all, if the aspect ratio was not retained in the capture.

:unsure:

360 / 270 = 1.3333

But I wasn't speaking about the ratio. I believe the TV crops the sides of the screen a little bit, which would mean that I get to see the full image on my computer screen (as long as I'm not in full screen mode) but not on my TV.

DrFrag has written something about it here. It doesn't make much of a difference, but if we can't catch the Hyotantsugi's chin, he becomes almost invisible! [/b][/quote]
:D I got the two decimal values confused. What I meant to say is that TV uses a 5:4 (1.25) etc, while that image uses a 360:270 (1.33333333) etc. :P

Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 18 years ago

Originally posted by DrFrag+Sep 19 2005, 04:11 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (DrFrag @ Sep 19 2005, 04:11 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Both Boras. The one on the left is from the 1980s series, the grey one next to it is the version used in the Manga (and 60s series I suppose).[/b]

I had no idea! Cool! :D It would have been funny if Astro had fought the old Bora in this episode!

<!--QuoteBegin--jeffbert
@Sep 19 2005, 12:06 PM
:D I got the two decimal values confused. What I meant to say is that TV uses a 5:4 (1.25) etc, while that image uses a 360:270 (1.33333333) etc. :P [/quote]
I had always heard that a traditional TV uses a 4:3 ratio. Please don't tell me that all my screenshots have the wrong ratio! :o The big ones are all 640x480 (1.333).

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 18 years ago

Originally posted by Astro forever+Sep 19 2005, 12:49 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Astro forever @ Sep 19 2005, 12:49 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -DrFrag@Sep 19 2005, 04:11 AM
Both Boras.  The one on the left is from the 1980s series, the grey one next to it is the version used in the Manga (and 60s series I suppose).

I had no idea! Cool! :D It would have been funny if Astro had fought the old Bora in this episode!

<!--QuoteBegin--jeffbert
@Sep 19 2005, 12:06 PM
:D I got the two decimal values confused. What I meant to say is that TV uses a 5:4 (1.25) etc, while that image uses a 360:270 (1.33333333) etc. :P

I had always heard that a traditional TV uses a 4:3 ratio. Please don't tell me that all my screenshots have the wrong ratio! :o The big ones are all 640x480 (1.333).[/b][/quote]
I just took a measure of my 19 inch LCD screen, & it is indeed 15:12 inches, which reduces to 5:4 (1.25). The 640 x 480 size does not quite distribute the pixels with the same spacing between them from left to right as from top to bottom. With my PC, I can capture frames from either TV or DVD. I use the "maintain aspect ratio" option, & despite the fact that the screen seems 1.25, the native resolution of the frames is 720 x 480, (1.5)! Viewing these pics on MS photo editor, makes them rather wider than they ought to be. I believe that the human eye is more sensitive to detail in the horizontal direction (with respect to the eye), than the vertical. :lol:

Examine the animated gifs of Uranium flying & Atom being kissed:

Animated GIFs, page 2

The flying one was captured at the default DVD format, while the ones of the kissing scenes were probably captured at 640 x 480. Their aspect ratios are different, although they come from the same seies. :wahah:

Astro Forever
Administrator

Originally posted by jeffbert@Sep 19 2005, 01:54 PM
I just took a measure of my 19 inch LCD screen, & it is indeed 15:12 inches, which reduces to 5:4 (1.25). The 640 x 480 size does not quite distribute the pixels with the same spacing between them from left to right as from top to bottom. With my PC, I can capture frames from either TV or DVD. I use the "maintain aspect ratio" option, & despite the fact that the screen seems 1.25, the native resolution of the frames is 720 x 480, (1.5)! Viewing these pics on MS photo editor, makes them rather wider than they ought to be. I believe that the human eye is more sensitive to detail in the horizontal direction (with respect to the eye), than the vertical. :lol:

Examine the animated gifs of Uranium flying & Atom being kissed:

http://www.astroboy-online.com/forums/inde...2&p=17319&st=40

The flying one was captured at the default DVD format, while the ones of the kissing scenes were probably captured at 640 x 480. Their aspect ratios are different, although they come from the same seies. :wahah:

Your link doesn't work, I get a "Sorry, you do not have permission to edit that message" error message.

It's true that the pixels aren't evenly distributed, I noticed it too. When I take a screenshot, I do get a 720 x 480 picture. However, that pic is clearly distorted, and it isn't when I watch a DVD on my computer.

I just took a screenshot of my whole screen (which is at 1024 x 768, therefore 1.333) while playing the DVD (not full screen). Then I isolated the image of the DVD and got a 769 x 578 image. It might be 2 or 3 pixels off because I did it manually, on sight, with the pic reduced so it would fit in the picture software. But anyway, that gives me a 1.3304 ratio. I also mesured my screen (19") and got 36.7 x 27.3 cm, which gives me a 1.34 ratio (but then I'm probably off by a few millimeters! ;) . So I don't know what you see on your computer, but no matter how I check here, I always seem to get a 4:3 ratio. :huh:

Interestingly, I once mistakenly recorded a show on TV at LP speed instead of SP. I was surprised to find out that once I would play it on my computer, I was getting an image that was around 1:2 (yes, the height was about twice the width! ;) . Then I realized that's how the recording was compressed at LP! :D

Edited because I had written I had a 17" computer screen. But it's 19!

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Postby DrFrag » 18 years ago

DVDs can use an anamorphic picture, which means they get automatically resized as they're shown. That's why the screenshots can look distorted.
Regular TV and most computer resultions are 4:3, widescreen is 16:9.

Astro Forever
Administrator

Many of you probably already noticed it. It's so weird how the drawing style keeps changing in The Secret of the Mayas, right in the middle of the scenes. Talk about teamwork! :lol:

And finally:
Image I find it hard to find Astro cute in this one...

Strange Wings
Beyond the Stars

Postby Strange Wings » 18 years ago

...Hellloooo, log-in button! Remember me?? :cry:
「頼むから、仕事をさせてくれ」
- 手塚治虫先生の最後の言葉

Astro Forever
Administrator

Originally posted by Some absent-minded user who had forgotten to log in+Sep 23 2005, 03:20 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Some absent-minded user who had forgotten to log in @ Sep 23 2005, 03:20 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Yeah, I'm not very fond of the latter Astro-style either. I can't recall any other episode in which the change between styles was done so rough as shown in this one.
It almost seems to me as if an animator wasn't available and another one had to take over as substitute while making this ep. :wacko:

Perhaps they were pretty in a rush concerning deadlines and schedules. :unsure: [/b]

Yes. I also wondered if both artists made the drawings working side by side or if the second one just completed the episode afterwards.

<!--QuoteBegin--Strange Wings
@Sep 23 2005, 03:20 PM
...Hellloooo, log-in button! Remember me?? :cry: [/quote]
:lol:

I hope you won't mind my little joke in the previous quote! ;)

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”