Random Observations

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
astro_mcfly
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby astro_mcfly » 18 years ago

Lately I have been watching Blackjack 21 on video tapes from the grocery store. Lamp's hair looks different. I'll post a picture. I'll also post some of other familiar characters too.
Has anyone else seen the episode in the Blackjack episode with Dr. Tenma and Tobio? BUT... Tobio is called Asuto. :astro: Here are pictures of that. Sorry if I am off topic, but I thought that someone might find this interesting.

Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 18 years ago

Does Asuto die? :cry: In any case, thanks, it's cute to see Astro as a human! :D

astro_mcfly
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby astro_mcfly » 18 years ago

No. He lives, but as you see, he doesn't look too great. He has some strange life threatening disease. I didn't catch the name of it because I watched this episode in Japanese without subtitles, just the way it appeared on Japanese T.V. I know some Japanese.

Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 16 years ago

Didn't know where to put this, and I don't have a thread for that, but I've just heard a classical piece and thought "Hey, I heard that music in an Astroboy episode!" :w00t:

Remember "In the Hall of the Mountain King" playing in the 1980 Vikings episode? Well, the Japanese soundtrack uses another piece. I had always wondered what it was, and fortunately I could find the program of the TV show I was watching: it's from The Planets by Gustav Holst, and the particular piece is "Mars, the Bringer of War". How appropriate! :lol:

I wanted to list all the music selections of the 1980 series since it's so rich in that department. I remember DrFrag had wanted to put one on his website, but both him and his website are gone now and my wish has vanished with them. If anybody else is interested, I'd love to try to make one. :cool:

Strange Wings
Beyond the Stars

Postby Strange Wings » 16 years ago

"Astro Forever" wrote:Remember "In the Hall of the Mountain King" playing in the 1980 Vikings episode? Well, the Japanese soundtrack uses another piece. I had always wondered what it was, and fortunately I could find the program of the TV show I was watching: it's from The Planets by Gustav Holst, and the particular piece is "Mars, the Bringer of War". How appropriate! :lol:

That piece you mention I remember listening to years ago is very appropriate indeed for the scene with the Vikings going rampage. Isn't that particular piece the opening title of Holst's work 'The Planets'? I especially like its menacing beginning that ends up climaxing in that huge orchestral chord - a goosebumps-moment at its finest! :cool:

:) Your observation also reminds me on 'The Birth Of Astro Boy' featuring two different classical pieces to underline Astro's awakening (Franz List's 'Le Prélude' for the english/french versions; Richard Strauss' 'Thus Spoke Zarathustra' for the japanese one). I always found 'Le Prélude' to be way more fitting for Astro's power-up as it contains that big dynamic that is steadily increasing to the point where Astro's gaining consciousness, and eventually the music's temper will calm down to the string section's soft melodies as Astro's stepping towards his creator for a big hug. :wub:

Also, the musical dynamic's set-up of both "Mars - The Bringer Of War" and "Le Prélude" are very similar IMO. Increasing musical dynamics really do emphasize certain scenes' dramatic art.

I wanted to list all the music selections of the 1980 series since it's so rich in that department. I remember DrFrag had wanted to put one on his website, but both him and his website are gone now and my wish has vanished with them. If anybody else is interested, I'd love to try to make one. :cool:

I think it's a great idea! :rolleyes: Just yesterday I was watching 'The Red Cat' wich contains some excerpts from Camille Saint-Saëns' "Le carnaval des animaux" (so I think). A further exemple might be Robiette playing a piano sonata written by Ludwig Van Beethoven (in the ep 'Robio & Robiette').
Hints about Tezuka's classical music influences are to find across the whole 80's series, thus creating a topic about would make absolutely sense. :)

:unsure: Concerning the '03 series however I can't recall spotting any references of classical music apart from the opera aria they used for the ep 'A Robot Wants To Become Human'. This fact makes the 80's series standing out so much more. :D
「頼むから、仕事をさせてくれ」
- 手塚治虫先生の最後の言葉

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 16 years ago

"Strange Wings" wrote:Hints about Tezuka's classical music influences are to find across the whole 80's series, thus creating a topic about would make absolutely sense. :)

Bofore I read Schodt's "Astroboy Essays," I would have been wondering the same thing; however, Fred says that Tezuka had very little to do with the 1980s series. :D

Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 16 years ago

"jeffbert" wrote:Bofore I read Schodt's "Astroboy Essays," I would have been wondering the same thing; however, Fred says that Tezuka had very little to do with the 1980s series. :D

In any case, the choices were very appropriate, so I still find them extremely interesting. :D

"Strange Wings" wrote:That piece you mention I remember listening to years ago is very appropriate indeed for the scene with the Vikings going rampage. Isn't that particular piece the opening title of Holst's work 'The Planets'? I especially like its menacing beginning that ends up climaxing in that huge orchestral chord - a goosebumps-moment at its finest! :cool:

Funny, I had no clue you knew it. I'd have asked earlier! :lol: I hadn't even heard of Holst before... :blush: And yes, this piece is the opening.

:) Your observation also reminds me on 'The Birth Of Astro Boy' featuring two different classical pieces to underline Astro's awakening (Franz List's 'Le Prélude' for the english/french versions; Richard Strauss' 'Thus Spoke Zarathustra' for the japanese one). I always found 'Le Prélude' to be way more fitting for Astro's power-up as it contains that big dynamic that is steadily increasing to the point where Astro's gaining consciousness, and eventually the music's temper will calm down to the string section's soft melodies as Astro's stepping towards his creator for a big hug. :wub:

I agree, I also prefer the French/English piece.

I think it's a great idea! :rolleyes: Just yesterday I was watching 'The Red Cat' wich contains some excerpts from Camille Saint-Saëns' "Le carnaval des animaux" (so I think). A further exemple might be Robiette playing a piano sonata written by Ludwig Van Beethoven (in the ep 'Robio & Robiette').

I had no clue it was from Beethoven.

:unsure: Concerning the '03 series however I can't recall spotting any references of classical music apart from the opera aria they used for the ep 'A Robot Wants To Become Human'. This fact makes the 80's series standing out so much more. :D

Yes, it'd be hard to make such a thread for the 2003 series since it seems that everything was made especially for the series, not to mention that I don't even like the music we were given in the French/English version to begin with. :shifty:

Strange Wings
Beyond the Stars

Postby Strange Wings » 16 years ago

"Astro Forever" wrote:
A further exemple might be Robiette playing a piano sonata written by Ludwig Van Beethoven (in the ep 'Robio & Robiette').

I had no clue it was from Beethoven.

I hit on it by coincidence (though I don't believe in them ;) ) when I heard a tune on the radio similar to what Robiette was playing.
The announcer told about it being Piano Sonata No.?? by Beethoven. It's a shame I can't recall the Sonata's number anymore - it's one among my favourite tunes written by that composer (surprise, surprise). :D
「頼むから、仕事をさせてくれ」

- 手塚治虫先生の最後の言葉

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 16 years ago

I was trying to find the name of a piece that was used nearly every time an old cartoon showed mechanical things. I vividly recall this tune from "Honey, I Shrank the Kids" in the scene with the shrinker ray going haywire. I suppose that is the most recent occurance I can name. I likewise remember a Popeye cartoon with Sweetpea inside a mechanized factory & the same tune playing. :lol:

Ataru Moroboshi
Robot President
Location: L'Hospitalet de Llobregat, Barcelona province, Autonomous Community of Catalonia, Spain, Europe.

Postby Ataru Moroboshi » 16 years ago

"jeffbert" wrote:I was trying to find the name of a piece that was used nearly every time an old cartoon showed mechanical things. I vividly recall this tune from "Honey, I Shrank the Kids" in the scene with the shrinker ray going haywire. I suppose that is the most recent occurance I can name. I likewise remember a Popeye cartoon with Sweetpea inside a mechanized factory & the same tune playing. :lol:

And in the Simspons, when Homer wants to know how the skittles are put back in place.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”