J Boxed Sets (1960s) 1 & 2 of 2

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Atoman
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Atoman » 18 years ago

Yes there was some editing done to the English dubs. Not as bad as in the 80's dubs, but take the episode The Amless Dam. There was a seen in which Hamegg bullies Astro and says "Remember when you were in the circus?" Then he whips poor defencless Astro several times, none to gently, untill Astro cries: "ITTAI!"(OUCH! ;) :o #$@*# that Hamegg :angry: Don't worry, Astro later takes care of Hamegg. Anyway, that whiping seen was cut in the dub version, making it look like Astro stoped Hemegg from whiping him.

Other than that, most of the American tampering came from skipping half the 193 episodes and only translating 104. :( I'm dissapointed that the rest of the series, that's only availible in Japan(which I have), will never be given English subs or dubs. There's plenty of bilingual anime out there. I just bought a new remake of Tetsujin 28(Gigantor) and it's biligual, so is Sailor Moon, Giant Robo, Samuri Troopers, Gatchaman, etc. So why not our hero? it's not fair. <_< Ohh well, if enough of us complain about this, maybe they'll release Astro in bilingual form someday. That's why they came out with Sailor Moon in this form. So maybe we should start complaining about it. ;)

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 18 years ago

I just ordered set #1, there is an estimated 2-4 week wait for shipment. My #2 set has reached New Jersey, I expect it by Tuesday. :lol:

jeffbert
Minister of Science

It came today. It has 6 transparent DVD cases (3 discs each), which are without labels. I assume that the discs are identical to the ones in the limited edition release, because the menus seem to be the same. There are 3 small booklets that each have information about the episodes (in Japanese), drawings of the characters, & other details. :lol:

Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 18 years ago

Oh great! Enjoy yourself! B)

ozfiz
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby ozfiz » 18 years ago

http://dstore.com.au/?action=view&id=736152

saw this one on dstore today . im guessing its all in english i also saw it for pre-order on ebay. does anyone know anything else about this set?

Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 18 years ago

Originally posted by ozfiz@Oct 30 2005, 02:08 AM
http://dstore.com.au/?action=view&id=736152

saw this one on dstore today . im guessing its all in english i also saw it for pre-order on ebay. does anyone know anything else about this set?

It's Madman's! :)

Astro Boy (1960) Deluxe DVD Collection 1

jeffbert
Minister of Science

:huh: set 1 came today, it only shipped Saturday. Talk about fast! :D

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”