J Boxed Sets (1960s) 1 & 2 of 2

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 18 years ago

I have just ordered my copy of the 2nd boxed set, and am eagerly awaiting shipment & delivery. With the shipping that I chose & the current exchange rate, I expect My Visa to be debited $221 when it ships.

I have one of my three DVD drives configured for region # 2, but have downloaded & installed the trial version of DVD Idle Pro, that did enable my drives to play other region DVDs. It did not work with Power DVD at first, but did work with my ATI DVD player. By sheer oversight, I left it enabled when I went to play a disc on Power DVD, & did not even realize that it was working until the 15 minute trial expired (even with that limitation, one can view more than 15 minutes by merely restarting Power DVD). Just to be sure that it was indeed working, I put a region #1 disc in my region #2 drive & it worked just fine.

I did read some unsatisfactory user reviews of this product, but have no way of knowing these people's PCs' specifications. I have 1 GB of 400 Mhz DDR & a 2.8 GHz P4 with 1 MB cache, so I suspect these users' problems may be attributable to slower systems. At any rate, the trial version is free, & it is full-featured. Its only limitation is the 15 minute serssion length.

:D

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Postby DrFrag » 18 years ago

Where is this available? The boxset, I mean.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Postby DrFrag » 18 years ago

Sounds good. B)

Can you let us know what extra features they have? Like if it's identical to Atoman's collection?

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Why, certainly. :lol:

O2Destroyer
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby O2Destroyer » 18 years ago

Unless I'm missing something I don't see any english subtitles on there...

I was just waiting for the madman sets to come out, though they'll be the edited/altered US versions without an original language track.
Bombs vs. bombs, missiles vs. missiles and now a new super weapon to throw upon us all!

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Originally posted by O2Destroyer@Oct 17 2005, 06:25 AM
Unless I'm missing something I don't see any english subtitles on there...

I was just waiting for the madman sets to come out, though they'll be the edited/altered US versions without an original language track.

There are no subtitles; however, the stories are usually easy to follow, especailly those that were based upon the manga. :lol:

jeffbert
Minister of Science

#*##! The wait for this product just went from 3-7 days to 2-4 weeks. :huh: Nevertheless, the wait for my order did not change. I expect that it should ship by week's end, but who knows?

I intend to order the first set next week (hopefully before the wait becomes longer). :P

In re to the set itself, Atoman got a few similar boxed sets of other series. They were bare-bones packages, with the containers being transparent, but including big books about Tezuka (with one page in English). The discs themselves seemed to be identical to those in the older more expensive packages, but I am not certain about the universality of this. :lol:

O2Destroyer
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby O2Destroyer » 18 years ago

Do you know how radically the US version was changed from the original Japanese?
Bombs vs. bombs, missiles vs. missiles and now a new super weapon to throw upon us all!

jeffbert
Minister of Science

There were some episodes that were not among the 90 or so that were dubbed in English. Other than that, I cannot say anything about censoring at this time. :lol:

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”