In regards to the Astro Boy 1980 Boxset

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
ChibiGoku
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby ChibiGoku » 18 years ago

The compony, Manga Entertainment, released a press released recently, (or probably more then recently, a bit ago) about what the the DVD will contain. The DVD specs state that the 1980's boxset will feature English AND japanese audio. Further more, sites have reported the set will be billingual, such as RightStuffInternational, Animeondvd, and AnimeNewsnetwork. This also goes for misc. Anime magazines.

The press release is located here.

I also would like to state, yes I am a new member to the site. And, I do hope I enjoy my stay.

EDIT: I apologize, as I did not notice this site was intended for people outside of the US, judging from the news posted. But for any importers, you may be welcome to this.

Double Edit: And it seems the news is already posted in an older thread. I feel like an idiot posting this. I do apologize.

Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 18 years ago

Hi and welcome! :) We are from all over the world here and many of us aren't afraid of importing anyway.

I believe we've seen this press release, but it's written "all 51 episodes". Since there were 52 episodes in Japanese and only 51 in English, we were wondering if only the first two episodes were going to be in Japanese (since they had been heavily cut and reunited as one English episode), as it was in the Australian Madman Entertainment release. Furthermore, Manga Entertainment's extras list looks suspiciously exactly like Madman's, so one has to wonder if they'll release the exact same thing, except in NTSC region 1... :wacko: So we'll be skeptical about it until it's finally released, I guess! ;)

Who's planning to buy it? I won't, unless somehow there is the entire uncut Japanese series, but given the price, I doubt it will.

Astro Forever
Administrator

Originally posted by ChibiGoku@Oct 19 2005, 12:52 AM
Double Edit: And it seems the news is already posted in an older thread. I feel like an idiot posting this. I do apologize.

:lol: Don't worry!

ChibiGoku
Rocket Ball Champion

Originally posted by Astro forever@Oct 19 2005, 03:07 PM
Hi and welcome! :) We are from all over the world here and many of us aren't afraid of importing anyway.

I believe we've seen this press release, but it's written "all 51 episodes". Since there were 52 episodes in Japanese and only 51 in English, we were wondering if only the first two episodes were going to be in Japanese (since they had been heavily cut and reunited as one English episode), as it was in the Australian Madman Entertainment release. Furthermore, Manga Entertainment's extras list looks suspiciously exactly like Madman's, so one has to wonder if they'll release the exact same thing, except in NTSC region 1... :wacko: So we'll be skeptical about it until it's finally released, I guess! ;)

Who's planning to buy it? I won't, unless somehow there is the entire uncut Japanese series, but given the price, I doubt it will.

I do have to wonder, however the DVD extra's are actually that of the first two "black and white" episodes, which are included in japanese. This is noted on TRSI page. Then again, this could be a new dub produced by Manga Entertainment. But like you said, that 51 makes yah wonder. :huh:

:lol: Don't worry!

Though it does make me feel like an idiot without checking out the forum. But thankyou for your greeting.

Astro Forever
Administrator

Originally posted by ChibiGoku+Oct 19 2005, 01:14 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ChibiGoku @ Oct 19 2005, 01:14 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>I do have to wonder, however the DVD extra's are actually that of the first two "black and white" episodes, which are included in japanese. This is noted on TRSI page. Then again, this could be a new dub produced by Manga Entertainment. But like you said, that 51 makes yah wonder. :huh: [/b]

Two black and white episodes? Where is that TRSI page? :unsure:

<!--QuoteBegin--ChibiGoku
@Oct 19 2005, 01:14 AM
Though it does make me feel like an idiot without checking out the forum. But thankyou for your greeting.[/quote]
Oh, I keep misunderstanding everybody here these days. :rolleyes: I know the feeling! :lol:

ChibiGoku
Rocket Ball Champion

Originally posted by Astro forever+Oct 19 2005, 03:22 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Astro forever @ Oct 19 2005, 03:22 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--ChibiGoku@Oct 19 2005, 01:14 AM
I do have to wonder, however the DVD extra's are actually that of the first two "black and white" episodes, which are included in japanese. This is noted on TRSI page. Then again, this could be a new dub produced by Manga Entertainment. But like you said, that 51 makes yah wonder.  :huh: 

Two black and white episodes? Where is that TRSI page? :unsure: [/b][/quote]
http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalogmg...tem/66578/4/0/0

Here's what it originally said:

Contains 51 episodes.

DVD Features: First two episodes of Original [b](1960s)
Astro Boy in Japanese with English Subtitles, Storyboard Sequences, Original Art and Manga Galleries, Deleted Scenes, Character Profiles, 24-page Collector's Booklet.[/b]

Though it no longer lists those two extra's, it was indeed, when first announced, the first two b/w episodes. (Several sources, which I'll dig up later, point to this).

Astro Forever
Administrator

I see. Another strange thing in the first link you posted is the "1983" year. It was 1982... :unsure:

It would make sense if it was the first two 1980 episodes, though. Madman's release has also the 1st 1963 English episode. Other than that, the extra's list is identical. Will you buy it, ChibiGoku?

By the way, Madman's Character Profiles is exactly what is in the "Other Characters" section of this site! :P And this site existed before the release. :)

ChibiGoku
Rocket Ball Champion

Originally posted by Astro forever@Oct 19 2005, 03:35 PM
I see. Another strange thing in the first link you posted is the "1983" year. It was 1982... :unsure:

It would make sense if it was the first two [b]1980
episodes, though. Madman's release has also the 1st 1963 English episode. Other than that, the extra's list is identical. Will you buy it, ChibiGoku?

By the way, Madman's Character Profiles is exactly what is in the "Other Characters" section of this site! :P And this site existed before the release. :) [/b]

I may, though I've been trying to stick my faces away from edited only releases. (Personal belief everything should be released billingual, and uncut)

Astro Forever
Administrator

Originally posted by ChibiGoku@Oct 19 2005, 01:44 AM
I may, though I've been trying to stick my faces away from edited only releases. (Personal belief everything should be released billingual, and uncut)

Well, with many deleted scenes included in the extras, I believe not much remains missing, maybe just a few seconds here and there. Does anybody know if there are any more dialogs missing? I know of Astro wishing good year in a kimono (which can be seen in cybotron's signature), Astro about to get into his car in Robio and Robiette, and are there any other? :huh:

I know that for most of the deleted scenes included in the extras, I was thinking "oh, that was all? That is nothing!". Those I knew of and badly wanted to see were included.

But then I might not be the most picky one: I grew up with the French version, which was missing 4 minutes out of 21 in every episode! :lol: So to me, this release seems complete! :D

O2Destroyer
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby O2Destroyer » 18 years ago

Here's betting it is exactly the same (or the same minus some of the frills) as the madman box.

Although it would be great to believe the whole thing is bilingual, let's remember that the english versions are slightly different/edited. This and a dozen other tv anime would require an English and Japanese version of each episode to be present since there is neither a japanese language track for the edited us version, nor an english track for the unedited/original Japanese version.

If the new box is bilingual, that can only mean that Manga has redubbed all those Astroboy episodes--and that truly is highly unlikely.

Oh, and a great example of this is Gatchaman, where they are in fact redubbing every episode since Gatchaman has never been released before in an English speaking country unedited.
Bombs vs. bombs, missiles vs. missiles and now a new super weapon to throw upon us all!

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”