I Jst Got the Astroboy 80's DVD Collection

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Mdlbigcat
Metro City Citizen

Postby Mdlbigcat » 18 years ago

So far, the only thing that has disappointed me was the fact that the opening and closing credits are in Japanese with English subtitles, however the opening and closing music is sung in English.

I jumped around the collection, watching random episodes, and found them to be quite well done, well written, but the voices could have been better. I still do not like this particular Astro voice [I prefer the 2003 voice first, with the 60's voice second].

The extras weren't anything to crow about, in fact, it would have been better without them.

Tommorow morning [Thanksgiving Day] I will watch the 80's episodes and the 2003 episodes back to back, and make any further comparisons, and I will post my critique of them later on on this board.

Danny
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Danny » 18 years ago

Hold on a sec..

Just to clarify, Are ALL the episodes in Japanees w/english Subtitles?
three and a half years.. for what?

Mdlbigcat
Metro City Citizen

Postby Mdlbigcat » 18 years ago

Originally posted by Danny@Nov 24 2005, 07:02 AM
Hold on a sec..

Just to clarify, Are ALL the episodes in Japanees w/english Subtitles?

The episodes are in English, however you can switch to the Japanese w/subtitles.

The opening and closing credits are in Japanese with English subtitles, but the music is sung in English.

Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 18 years ago

Originally posted by Shychick@Nov 23 2005, 01:23 AM
Anyways, I think the lack of the lack of this footage is just inexcusable! If Manga Entertainment included it on the Madman release, then why not the Anchor Bay release??

I thought Manga Entertainment was a totally different company than Madman? I first thought that this release was by Manga Entertainment, not by Anchor Bay... :unsure: Now I'm totally lost.

Is anyone able to check if there are scenes that were not included in the original English series (not the Canadian version)? Like the few seconds of Tornado's pieces falling that had been cut, professor Leopold getting electrocuted or Robio being injured?

If they were able to combine the English and Japanese tracks, they should have worked from the Japanese masters and just add subtitles where there were not English voices available. I would have gladly bought it! B)

Atoman
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Atoman » 18 years ago

Hey all,

Looks like you all beat me too it. I've had this set for a week or more, but I haven't had time to review it for you. It looks like you've already gone over most of the details, but here's my review:

First the bad news:

No Atlas Boy! :( That's right no Japanese episode 1 and 2 as in the Ausie box set. I don't know why they couldn't put it on extra's disc, so dissapointing <_< but at least I have the Japanese and Ausie box sets that have it.

Next the deleted scenes are not as much as the Ausie version, no Uran's song and dance about religion from Uran's Quest. :(

Ok now the good news:

First it has Japanese Audio with subs. :wahah: :lol: Though edited to fit the English dub. Each Japanese episode has the original Japanese begining and ending themes which used the Uran Chan theme when there was an episode staring her. :lol: Cuuute!

Speaking of Uran, in Uran's Quest, there's no Audio hic-up as in the Ausie box set, so the timing of her response to Dr. Elefun being her "God" and her saying "NO!" is perfect. :lol:

On a scale of 1 to 5 I give this a 4. This set may not be perfect, but if you live in the U.S. or Canada, buy this. It's the first time there's Japanese audio for Astro in region 1. That alone is a enough reason to buy it. I'd say more but again don't have time guest have arrived for Thanksgiving.

Bye

ChibiGoku
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby ChibiGoku » 18 years ago

Originally posted by Astro forever+Nov 24 2005, 08:46 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Astro forever @ Nov 24 2005, 08:46 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>I thought Manga Entertainment was a totally different company than Madman?  I first thought that this release was by Manga Entertainment, not by Anchor Bay...  :unsure:  Now I'm totally lost.[/b]

Anchor Bay and MAnga Entertainment are the same company. If I remember correctly, Manga is just a portion of Anchor Bay. Anchor Bay distributes majority of Manga's titles (with a few exceptions, one being GitS: SAC)

<!--QuoteBegin--Astro forever
@Nov 24 2005, 08:46 AM
If they were able to combine the English and Japanese tracks, they should have worked from the Japanese masters and just add subtitles where there were not English voices available.  I would have gladly bought it!  B)[/quote]

Actually, judging from what both madman and Manga did, they all worked form the japanese masters in order to remaster the video, in a sense. This is why the op/eds on the Manga release have japanese credits. (Also, Madman's small goofup with the japanese title appearing for a split second.)

Madman decided to try and recreated the opening of it using the textless Opening and Endings, which in the end, work out nice. I'm not sure if Madman tried to make the credits similar to the original english version. But I'm guessing yes.

Astro Forever
Administrator

Originally posted by ChibiGoku+Nov 26 2005, 02:03 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ChibiGoku @ Nov 26 2005, 02:03 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>

Anchor Bay and MAnga Entertainment are the same company. If I remember correctly, Manga is just a portion of Anchor Bay. Anchor Bay distributes majority of Manga's titles (with a few exceptions, one being GitS: SAC) [/b]

Oh okay, now I understand. Thanks.

Actually, judging from what both madman and Manga did, they all worked form the japanese masters in order to remaster the video, in a sense. This is why the op/eds on the Manga release have japanese credits. (Also, Madman's small goofup with the japanese title appearing for a split second.)

Wow, you remember that post! :o I would have liked a totally uncut version, of course. Although now that I think of it, how is the Japanese audio? Are there some big differences with the English translation? Other than that, I don't see any reason to buy it.

<!--QuoteBegin--ChibiGoku
@Nov 26 2005, 02:03 AM
Madman decided to try and recreated the opening of it using the textless Opening and Endings, which in the end, work out nice. I'm not sure if Madman tried to make the credits similar to the original english version. But I'm guessing yes.[/quote]
I agree, it looks really nice.

O2Destroyer
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby O2Destroyer » 18 years ago

Great...now I need to own both...

Can you buy the extras disc from Madman independently? (not that I don't already own the whole set...) Seems like the best of both worlds.
Bombs vs. bombs, missiles vs. missiles and now a new super weapon to throw upon us all!

sdp
Kokoro Robot

Postby sdp » 18 years ago

I am very confused, here are the extras amazon lists

* Available Audio Tracks: English (Dolby Digital 2.0)
* 51 Half Hour Episodes in English
* Two Original Japanese Episodes with English Subtitles
* Alternative Angle Opening Storyboard Sequence
* Original Character Art Gallery
* Textless Opening & Closing Sequences featuring Song Subtitles & Original Japanese Songs
* Orignal Manga Cover Artwork Gallery
* Merchandise Gallery
* Japanese vs. English Episode Comparisons (Deleted Scenes) featuring Exclusive Footage from the Original Japanese Episodes with English Subtitles
* Character Profiles
* Exclusive 24 Page Booklet

they dont' mention japanese audio but they mention two original japanesee episodes which i assumed were the first two episodes...
so it is not uncut? how much footage is misshg?

i'll still get it, i just hate not having a complete version :cry: btw its only 30$ in walmart!

Astro Forever
Administrator

Originally posted by sdp@Nov 29 2005, 01:45 PM
I am very confused, here are the extras amazon lists

[b] * Available Audio Tracks: English (Dolby Digital 2.0)
* Two Original Japanese Episodes with English Subtitles
* Textless Opening & Closing Sequences featuring Song Subtitles & Original Japanese Songs
* Orignal Manga Cover Artwork Gallery
* Merchandise Gallery
* Japanese vs. English Episode Comparisons (Deleted Scenes) featuring Exclusive Footage from the Original Japanese Episodes with English Subtitles
* Character Profiles
* Exclusive 24 Page Booklet

they dont' mention japanese audio but they mention two original japanesee episodes which i assumed were the first two episodes...
so it is not uncut? how much footage is misshg?

i'll still get it, i just hate not having a complete version :cry: btw its only 30$ in walmart![/b]

We've had conflicting information about the extras and the Japanese audio. I think I've seen about two or three different lists. It seems like some website just copied Madman's extras list, which is exactly the you posted above.

Apart from the first two Japanese episodes, I have watched only a few Japanese episodes, but from what I've seen on Madman's set and what I read here, most of the missing scenes are very short, like Astro saying good year in a Kimono (in Cybotron's signature, not included on either set) or a character getting electrocuted/hurt/burned for a few more seconds. Those that were the most important in my opinion were Daddy Walrus yelling at Astro for not bringing his sister in "Uran the Tomboy" (I don't know if it's included on Manga Entertainment's set, but it doesn't look like it judging from jeffbert's post), Tezuka himself presenting "Astro's First Love" (included) and Uran signing with her twin (included).

Oddly, Manga Entertainment's own website doesn't mention the Japanese audio track in its own website:

DVD SPECIAL FEATURES

* Textless Opening & Closing Sequences Featuring Song Subtitles & Original Japanese Songs
* Original Manga Cover Artwork Gallery
* Merchandise Gallery
* Japanese vs. English Episode Comparisons (Deleted Scenes) Featuring Exclusive Footage From the Original Japanese Episodes with English Subtitles
* Character Profiles
* PLUS an Exclusive 24 Page Booklet!

http://www.manga.com/index.php?id=82

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”