Astro Boy (1963) Coming Soon

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
sdp
Kokoro Robot

Postby sdp » 18 years ago

I would love to see the japanese only episodes as well but just getting all the english episodes released would be great, i never saw the 60s series but can't wait to check it out. I also like how in the end it is going to look gray box with black and white astro, red box with 80s syle astro and black box with the 03 astro :D

O2Destroyer
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby O2Destroyer » 18 years ago

I suppose this is turning into nostalgia interests versus the tezuka fans, but I'm starting to think it must be much harder to recreate the US edits and match english audio than it would be to just subtitle the original episodes and call it a day. Probably too many people that couldn't deal with a box set that was subtitled only, but the amount of work you folks and Madman are going to to re-create edited versions is just astonishing.

That said, the Kimba set is astounding, one of my best purchases of 2005.
Bombs vs. bombs, missiles vs. missiles and now a new super weapon to throw upon us all!

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 18 years ago

Astro forever wrote:Here is the topic I was talking about: Dark Horse previews of manga

Your link only goes to the forums. Here is the thread:
:D Dark horse manga previews
And to save you trouble, here is the Dark Horse page. :astro:

jeffbert
Minister of Science

TRSI announces release date for set #2

Here is a quote from the official Press release:
Astro Boy (1963) Ultra Collector’s Edition DVD Set 2
Pre-book date: 8/1/2006 - Street date: 8/29/2006
Approximately 1200 minutes, Mono, Black and White.
Genre: Adventure / Retro TV

Extras:
Bonus DVD content includes:
Deleted Scenes; “Behind the Scenes at Mushi Studios” Featurette; Part 2 of an interview with series producer Fred Ladd;
Original Japanese Episodes #34, #56, and #193 (with English subtitles); a Fred Ladd Tour Gallery;
an Original Character Art Gallery; a Merchandise Gallery; PLUS a Collector’s Booklet featuring “The Cinema of
Osamu Tezuka”, Original Astro Boy Advertisements, Line Art, an Episode Guide, and much more!

#34: "Midoro Marsh"
E: "Beast From 20 Fathoms" AKA, "The Lost Episode"
Because there is no description for this episode, I provide one for the manga:
19 . Midoro Swamp (Original title: the Case of Midoro Swamp)
A rumor spreads that monsters live in the swamp of Midoro. In an investigation of the swamp, Astro Boy finds intelligent dinosaurs breeding there. As it turns out, these dinosaurs have stowed away on a time machine from a prehistoric time. In contact with a poisonous liquid that the dinosaurs spit out, humans become obedient to the orders of the monsters. In an effort to kill all the dinosaurs, Astro Boy catches one, and brings it to Dr. Ochanomizu to have him discover the secret of its poison. In the meantime, other dinosaurs attack with a gigantic robot that they have ordered humans to make.
Astroboy Manga (TOW) :astro: Synopses (TOW)

#56: "Earth Defense Army"
E: #32 "The Moon Monsters"
Aliens planning to collect information about the Earth abduct Dr. Ochanomizu. Atom, on a mission to rescue the doctor, visits Earth Defense Base on the moon, but the aliens destroy the base.
(In color)
Astroboy 1963 (TOW) :astro: Synopses (TOW)
Will this will be in color or not? :hyo:

#193: "The Greatest Adventure on Earth"
As the temperature of the Earth rises due to the influence of a sunspot, all humans evacuate the Earth and head for space. Only robots are supposed to remain on the Earth, but there is one villain left, and he is trying to seize this chance to conquer the planet.
Astroboy 1963 (TOW) :astro: Synopses (TOW)
Last edited by jeffbert on Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

shawnek
Kokoro Robot

Postby shawnek » 18 years ago

>Extras:
>
>#34: "Midoro Marsh"
>E: "Beast From 20 Fathoms" AKA, "The Lost Episode"

This will be presented in Japanese with English subtitles with an additional Japanese commentary track. This episode was done by different animators - manga artists that are famous for other works now - and Dr. Tezuka was unhappy with the work. The Japanese print for this was "lost" - Right Stuf recovered an English print and returned it to Japan, where it was re-married to the soundtrack, which still existed.

>#56: "Earth Defense Army"
>E: #32 "The Moon Monsters"
>Will this will be in color or not? :hyo:

Yes, this episode is presented in color in the extras, and in B/W in the normal release, as it was presented here.

>#193: "The Greatest Adventure on Earth"

The final episode of the original series, presented in Japanese with English subtitles.

Hope this helps!

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Postby DrFrag » 18 years ago

Thanks Shawne!

Did you colaborate with Madman for the Australian release? I'm guessing quite a few resources were shared.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

shawnek wrote:>Extras:
>
>#34: "Midoro Marsh"
>E: "Beast From 20 Fathoms" AKA, "The Lost Episode"

This will be presented in Japanese with English subtitles with an additional Japanese commentary track. This episode was done by different animators - manga artists that are famous for other works now - and Dr. Tezuka was unhappy with the work. The Japanese print for this was "lost" - Right Stuf recovered an English print and returned it to Japan, where it was re-married to the soundtrack, which still existed.

>#56: "Earth Defense Army"
>E: #32 "The Moon Monsters"
>Will this will be in color or not? :hyo:

Yes, this episode is presented in color in the extras, and in B/W in the normal release, as it was presented here.

>#193: "The Greatest Adventure on Earth"

The final episode of the original series, presented in Japanese with English subtitles.

Hope this helps!

That is interesting about the "lost ep," because there are two others whose video has also been lost. 125th Episode: Find the Bacteria, has many crudley drawn images, and a few frames I presume are from its video, which has been lost.

:hyo:

127th Episode: The Experimental Robot's video has been completely lost, all that remains is audio, & as I understand very little Japanese, I cannot even begin to understand it. :hyo:

So why was #34 considered the lost episode, if these two were also lost?

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Postby DrFrag » 18 years ago

I think it's because the others were just considered missing, while "The Lost Episode" was known to have been deliberately destroyed.

When it was discovered, there were still half a dozen Japanese episodes still missing, but this one was given that particular label so I guess it stuck.

CommanderEVE
Beyond the Stars

Postby CommanderEVE » 18 years ago

so how meny episodes where lost all together?

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”