Astro Boy (1963) Set 1 Release Date Set

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
O2Destroyer
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby O2Destroyer » 18 years ago

Originally posted by sdp@Jan 7 2006, 05:03 AM

I was spoiled with the 80s set, but still, i really can't justify spending that much money, specially counting it is not the entire series, it is not uncut, or include japanese track and that its an old series etc.

around 50$ price is what i would expect from a set like this, is it going to be majorly distributed?

and what are the differences between the Australian and American release this time?

between the 80s versions i gladly took the american version because even if it wasn't as good the price more than made up for it, but this time around they are both expensive i might just get the australian tin version.

It's the same with Kimba, the box set is too expensive for 52 episodes, i've gotten 5 of those public domain 1$ dvds that include two episodes (in english and spanish)..the quality is still decent.

The Right Stuf sets seem to be identical to the madman sets (the Kimba set was identical short of an improved box).

As far as the kimba set not being worth $80, I don't know what to say. It has been painstakingly restored, and as Fred Ladd has said, is the best the series has EVERY looked. It is also 11 DVDs. $80 is still pretty darn cheap (about $7 a disc.) I know if I put out this set, I wouldn't want to sell it for anything less.

I kinda agree on the editing thing, but it would come down to having to release two different versions since there are two different fan bases. Funny enough (as I've pointed out elsewhere), it would actually have been far easy to just release a region 1 version of the japanese discs with english subtitles; but I wouldn't be surprised if there hasn't been requests from those who own the rights in Japan to do no such thing. You can probably imagine how much cheaper these US sets are than the Japanese versions, and original language versions would no doubt encourage US imports undercutting the original Japanese releases.

I guess one can always go the route of HK imports--at least as far as kimbs is concerned I think there is a subtitled set out there, but I can guarantee it looks no where near as nice as the Kimba box (it is really hard not to be blown away with the vibrant colors in this series, something not transmitted by the ugly Rhino set).
Bombs vs. bombs, missiles vs. missiles and now a new super weapon to throw upon us all!

Atoman
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Atoman » 18 years ago

It's cool that the Right Stuf is using the pics from Japanese box sets 1 and 2 on their box set. I love the pic of Atom and Uran together.

sugarwolf
Kokoro Robot

Postby sugarwolf » 18 years ago

cool thanks B)

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”