Atom in the 70s (Jetter Mars)

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 18 years ago

###**!! hosting site!! I removed the links becuase the addresses changed again!! :angry:

fafner
Cosmic Ranger

Postby fafner » 18 years ago

I say, there is some kind of feeling of deja vu :rolleyes:
The real sign that someone has become a fanatic is that he completely loses his sense of humor about some important facet of his life. When humor goes, it means he's lost his perspective.

Wedge Antilles
Star Wars - Exile

Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 18 years ago

What are you talking about? :P

It's still the cutest thing ever! :D As far as I'm concerned, they could have done it again in the 2003 Astro Boy, even if it would have been the 4th time! :lol:

fafner
Cosmic Ranger

Postby fafner » 18 years ago

Originally posted by Astro forever@Jan 5 2006, 07:26 PM
What are you talking about? :P

How do you know? :o Beware! Astro forever can read in people's mind from thousands of kilometers away :P
The real sign that someone has become a fanatic is that he completely loses his sense of humor about some important facet of his life. When humor goes, it means he's lost his perspective.

Wedge Antilles

Star Wars - Exile

Atoman
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Atoman » 18 years ago

:wahah: Thanks Jeffbert! Where did you get those pics? Are they from a video you watched online or a site with pics? That's our Astro alright :lol: , who cares if his name and costume is different. :P I have the begining and ending themes to Jetter Mars, but I still haven't seen an episode yet. I can't wait 'till this finally comes out on dvd.

Astro Forever
Administrator

It's on Anapan's server! ;) The file is Capitan Jet - 01 - E' Nato Un Robot.mpg, in the video episodes/other Tezuka folder (check the "A couple of new videos" thread in the General Discussion forum).

It's out on DVD in Italy, but not yet in Spanish. I don't know about Japanese or any other language.

Atoman
Rocket Ball Champion

:wahah: I just watched episode one, called "2015" in Japan I think. He's addorable and so is his robot sister. I noticed that he's called different names in this episode. The Dr. Tenma like man calls him Captain Jet, while the Ochinomizu like guy calls him Jetter Mars and then there was variations on them like Captain Mars or something like that. Come on guys, make up your mind. :P :lol:

Also, a while back, someone asked: "How does he fly?" Well this episode explains that. He just presses the yellow botton on his belt and presto, his scarf changes to a cape that acts as a jet wing plus jet somehow. ;) :lol: Ohh well, it's a cartoon after all. :lol:

I love this show, can't wait 'till a Japanese dvd release. I don't think they'll ever release this in region one though, because I don't think any Americans ever saw this, so there's no audience here that would look back on it with nostalgia, like with 60's or 80's Astro. So I'll be happy with the Japanese with no subs version.

Astro Forever
Administrator

I think that was me who asked how he could fly! I haven't seen any jets, but yes, that explains a little! :D As for the girl, I'm confused about whether she's a robot or not... She was crying at one point, and I've never seen a robot cry in Astro Boy. But then apparently Jetter Mars can grow, so maybe robots can cry in Jetter Mars' world. :P

I hadn't noticed the variations about his name, but here is what it says on Tezuka's website:

Unlike Astro Boy, who is a superhero robot with seven different powers, this is a story of a robot that has his worries and grows up just like a human child. Mars is a boy named after the god of war in Roman Mythology. Dr. Yamanoue, who created Mars's body, tries to use the robot in military affairs while Dr. Kawashimo, creator of Mars's artificial intelligence, strongly opposes that idea. So this is a story of an android that is torn between its "body for fighting" and "heart for loving." The concept of conflict between two different fundamentals within one person is one of Tezuka Osamu's prominent themes.

According to that same page, Dr. Yamanoue is the black-haired one, so it would make sense if he called him "Capitain Jet" while the other Dr. wouldn't hear of it.

Interestingly, the Italian title of this show is "Capitan Jet", while the Spanish version is "Jet Marte"! :lol:

Oh, and if you haven't seen it, there is also part of an episode in Spanish; the file is "FixedJet.marte.Cap.17.La.gruta.del.Samurai.avi". You can see Theodore, Higeoyagi (Daddy Walrus) and what might be Alvin.

Atoman
Rocket Ball Champion

Yes the sister is a robot. In fact in the first episode she volunteers to help Jetter stop the disaster, then the Tenma like guy asks the other doctor something like: "What can she do?, she's only human." Then the other doctor says: "Actually, she's a robot". Then the Tenma guy does a dubble take. :wacko: :lol: I don't speak italian, but I did here the word robot in their conversation.

As far as crying in the Astro world, you probably haven't seen any of the 60's episodes where Astro cries. Let me tell you, when he cries you feel it. Mari Shimizu put her soul into those cries. I don't remember what Billie Lou Watt sounds like doing a serious cry, but it's probably ok. Then there's Chi-tan(Astro's baby brother). When he cries, he can make glass break and other destruction. :lol: One time he was watching a western on tv and the bad buy made him cry, then the tv blew up and I think he then ate it. :wahah: :lol: "Bad Chi-tan, take that out of your mouth." :lol: Ohh don't forget Uran cried in the current version. So did Astro for that matter, but he went on top of a building to cry by himself, notice in the Japanese ending theme he always wipes his eyes before turning around and beeming a smile. Astro cries in the manga too. So yes the Tezuka robots have always had the abillity to cry.

Astro Forever
Administrator

Thank you! :lol:

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”