Questions need answering

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
stoogefreaky
Rocket Ball Champion

Questions need answering

Postby stoogefreaky » 18 years ago

This might sound stupid but... Why would Dr. Boyton make Astro with weapons on him when he's his son?

Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 18 years ago

Hi and welcome among us! :) It's not stupid at all, I'd actually say it's a very good question.

Maybe he wanted to create the best robot he could in memory of his son, and in his mind, to be the best robot, it had to have weapons? Or maybe the robot he was trying to create even before he decided to make it a robot child was designed that way?

astro_mcfly
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby astro_mcfly » 18 years ago

"Or maybe the robot he was trying to create even before he decided to make it a robot child was designed that way?"

I wrote something like that before in one of my stories! >o<
I guess I'm not that original!!

stoogefreaky
Rocket Ball Champion

Thanks for answering my question :) It took a load off my mind.

dannavy85
Banned

Postby dannavy85 » 18 years ago

I dunno...would Astro really consider what he has weapons or tools?

astro_mcfly
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby astro_mcfly » 18 years ago

Now that you say it... I don't think he would. n_n

Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 18 years ago

I wonder why, instead of asking Boynton to dismantle Astro, the minister didn't just ask for his powers to be turned off. Dr. Elefun did it in The Hijack Airship, so it could be done.

Okay, I know consistency isn't the main quality of this series... :p But sometimes I can't help it! :rolleyes:

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 18 years ago

stoogefreaky wrote:This might sound stupid but... Why would Dr. Boyton make Astro with weapons on him when he's his son?

I think Boynton went mad when Astor/Tobio died. At the very least, he lost it when planning to build a robot that would 'replace' Tobio. However, the answer to that question is dependant upon which version we are considering.

Ambassador Atom (manga volume 15) has Tenma drown his sorrows in liquor, and obviously in madness, he decides to create a robot that would serve as his son (131-132).

stoogefreaky
Rocket Ball Champion

Are the comics pretty much the same as the cartoons?

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 18 years ago

:rolleyes:
stoogefreaky wrote:Are the comics pretty much the same as the cartoons?

In the case of Ambassador Atom, there were two 1960s episodes that retold this tale. 7th Episode, "Captain Atom," & 183rd Episode, "Japanese People from Space." I do not remember any differences, but there usually are a few.

"The Melanin Tribe," (Vol. 20) was animated as the 185th Episode, "The Star of Africa." Nearly all the incidents in the manga were also in the anime; however, the sequence was changed. Atom & Uranium find the truck that was carrying the serum, then they find the Star, but the anime switched these parts around. Or was it the other way around? I forgot.

Then there are the stories that were featured in all 3 anime. "Greatest Robot on Earth" (vol. 3) was retold in the 1960s' 116th &117th Episodes "The Biggest Robot on Earth" (parts one & two), the 1980s' 24th & 25th Episodes "The Biggest Robot on Earth" (parts one & two), & the 2003 17th & 18th episodes, "Strongest Robot on Earth." All had the most essential elements of the story, but the 2003 had the fewest, while the 1960s had the most, & was very close to the manga.

Those that were retold in two of the anime also had differences. As an example, the manmade solar sphere featured Sherlock Holmes as a cyborg who could disguise himself. Kin Sankaku played the part of the bad guy in all. However, if we count the Jetter Mars version (making 3 anime versions), Sherlock Holmes was replaced by "Jam Bond," the sphere was a freezing sphere, rather than a solar sphere, and the organ or piano was replaced by a xylophone. :D :hyo: :astro: :tenma:

Artificial Sun,
The Artificial Sun Ball (Original title: Fire Jar Island)
volume 5.

14th Episode: The Artificial Sun
12. The Artificial Sun (English title & sequence)
39th Episode: The Stolen Sun
37. The Man-Made Solar Sphere (English title & sequence)

I think the Jetter Mars ep was #12, but cannot recall the title.
Last edited by jeffbert on Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”