How did you discover Astro Boy?

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Latu
On a Flight into Space

Postby Latu » 18 years ago

Oh no, i missed Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex on Saturday!
:(

Wait a sec....i can watch the rerun on Thursday :D
"Astro, you must exceed the limitations that humans cannot!
You must be go beyond nationality, ethnicity,
pilosophy, and religion,
starvation and poverty,
and war!
Exceed these limitations created by man!
You must fly high! Higher than any human has ever flown before!
To reach for the future that no human has been able to so far!"
:tenma: :astro:

LarryPCross
Kokoro Robot

My Astro story

Postby LarryPCross » 18 years ago

I was born in 1959 and was lucky enough to have seen the shows when they first aired during the 60s in the Cleveland, OH area. So I'm 46 now and love him just as much. I introduced him to my two young sons, who really like him too. Just when I found out the latest 200? series was on regular (non-cable) TV and started catching the episodes, the show was moved to cable, then disappeared completely. From the few episodes I did get to see, the quality of the animation and the story was very very good. I just got the B&W DVD box set, and although the animation is much simpler, the show retains just as much, if not more magic.

I've never seen the '80s series. But I will be checking it out. Maybe I'm a little "out there" for someone my age to be watching Astroboy and playing Pokemon TCG with my boys. I guess I'm still a just a kid myself.

:astro:

Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 18 years ago

LarryPCross wrote:I've never seen the '80s series. But I will be checking it out. Maybe I'm a little "out there" for someone my age to be watching Astroboy and playing Pokemon TCG with my boys. I guess I'm still a just a kid myself.

:astro:
When I first saw the 2003 series last year, by accident after having seen "Astro Boy" in my TV guide, I didn't really care. Then I started watching an episode once in a while when I didn't have anything special to do and the show would be on. Then I saw the last episodes and really liked them, which made me decide to record the show. Not living alone, I was a little embarassed (hey, where is the embarrassed smilie? :cry: ), being my age, recording a kids' show... :unsure: But I've come to terms with it now: this forum was a good cure! :p

astro_mcfly
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby astro_mcfly » 18 years ago

I think mine is pretty weird. Oh, and I do believe I have wrote this before...
AUGUST, 2004
It was my first year of middle school, and at the end of the day, I was in for a surprise in Mrs. Martzolf's advanced english class! "We're going to the computer lab." That's what my teacher told me, and we were off. The actual purpose of this trip was to find and make a list of 20 books we wanted to read throughout the year. I was already a fan of manga, and after cramming my list with bestselling novels (some of which sounded rather boring.) I was on my way to find something new. A name popped up on a list of manga artists. "Osamu Tezuka?" I browzed through this neverending list and I kept seeing his name. I do think I shouted, "Seriously! How many books can one person make?" causing many people to look at me funny, and overall, changing their first impression of me. >o< Astro Boy was what had came up when I clicked on Dr. Tezuka's name. Well, a whole lot did, but I had known something of him already (Astro, that is!) by seeing an article in a toy collector's book. I read what it had to say, and honestly... I laughed. Actually, I seriously only think I did that because some people were looking at my screen all confused-like. Then came the two weeks it had taken to convince my mother to take me to the book store. Finally, the day came (Somewhere around the 15th of September I think) and I had finally gotten to see the book in person. I stared at it, and opened the front cover. Now, my mom was kind of cautious (and confused) to see a boy in "underwear" flying on the cover (where as I didn't care n_n). "Let me look inside, you know your father won't let you buy anything inapropriate." I handed her the book and laughed. "Fine," she told me, "You can get it." I was cheering in my mind (just picture Image and that was what it was like) and that night I had stayed up late to read the whole thing. I had almost instantly fallen in love! (HA) In October, I bought the video game (PS2) and started my Astro figure collection. In December, I watched my first episode, 2003's first episode in Japanese. And from then to now, I have watched the 2003 (Some Japanese, all English) 80's (in Japanese) and I have various other items in my collections, including the mini plushies.
OKAY... I think I wrote too much. PLEASE DON'T GET MAD AT ME!!! =(
That's my story... Look forward to hearing some more of yours!

gentleman92576
Kokoro Robot

Postby gentleman92576 » 18 years ago

I first saw Astroboy as part of an 80s cartoon line-up that consisted of STAR BLAZERS, TRANZOR Z, VOLTRON and ASTROBOY.

I enjoyed all of the cartoons. Astroboy always interested me. I used to draw Astro on my text book covers in grade school. When I teachers asked me who he was I would say, "Astroboy! Defender of mankind."

Ahhh, memories.... :D
"I'll name you Atlas...
Dictator of the Earth."

- Count Walpur Guiss
The Birth of Astroboy (J)

Ray_the_canadian
Metro City Citizen

Postby Ray_the_canadian » 18 years ago

Back in 88/89 I was just a little guy and I can remember watching it on tv. In 2004 i was just channel surfing and I spotted the new episodes and was shocked to see they brought astro back, from there on I bought the 2003/and 80's dvd sets.

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Postby DrFrag » 18 years ago

Hi Ray, haven't seen you for a while! :)

Ray_the_canadian
Metro City Citizen

Postby Ray_the_canadian » 18 years ago

DrFrag wrote:Hi Ray, haven't seen you for a while! :)

haha ya it has been a while, I see the site gotta new make over, very nice! And finally 100x100 avatars! :) I missed ya guys!

zeo
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby zeo » 17 years ago

me? well,it happend earlier this year...
i was flicking through the chanels on sky+,when suddenly i saw astro boy on CBBC.i decided to watch it.and guess what? i liked it! i got into astro boy for a while,and recorded a few eps of it onto my sky+ box.then,like lots of stuff,it fadded away to make room for another fandom,and it would'nt resurface until september 20th...
i decided to watch an astro boy episode,just for the hell of it,and it got me back into it.eventualy,i was led here by wikipeida,and the story tells itself from ther e=) and ive also learent to love different things at one one time,so i doubt i will be leaving here for a long time to come.
yeah,i too have a deviant art acount ^.^ pop in some time to enjoy the fine art of rubishness!
as aproved by astro boy!
http://firelancess78.deviantart.com/
as aproved by astro boy!
ImageImageImage...what?

Ataru Moroboshi
Robot President
Location: L'Hospitalet de Llobregat, Barcelona province, Autonomous Community of Catalonia, Spain, Europe.

Postby Ataru Moroboshi » 17 years ago

In 1992, reading an article about the early times of manga in one of the first issues of the first Dragon Ball Catalan edition. It had an illustration of a page from the "Salomon's Jewel" episode.

I actually thought it was an horrible manga... But about 1997 or so, I readed a Spanish-translated version of the manga published in a fanzine an I thought "Hey, this dialogues are quite funny". And then, about 2002 I started reading Buddha... And now I'm a Tezuka hardcore fan and merchandise collector!

Moral: It was worth to grow into an adult. I didn't discover Tezuka's incredible talent until I was 18... And I'm 22!
Last edited by Ataru Moroboshi on Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”