How did you discover Astro Boy?

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
CommanderEVE
Beyond the Stars

Postby CommanderEVE » 17 years ago

Yeah, I know what you mean, I knew Astro boy before I became a fan.

But, I don't really have any facts on Astro boy; I just like watching it, the same as all the other Anime I watch.

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Postby DrFrag » 17 years ago

"Innocent_Eyes" wrote:Are you serious that the voice of Uran came on here? When? I so wish that I could have been here! Did Patricia Kugler Whiteley ever come on here? That would have been so awesome. Astro on the forum lol! How cool!

Some time ago I tried to track down all the voice actors. Patricia Kugler Whiteley was working for a theatre company in Wisconsin. She confirmed to me that she did the voice of Astroboy, but didn't seem interested in talking about it. The whole cast were straight out of the local university where it was recorded, so I suppose it would have been their first professional jobs. Greg Zerkle has been in tons of big name stuff and I probably would have had to go through an agent to contact him. Richard Ganoung's done some movies too, I know he was in Billy's Hollywood Screen Kiss. I found contact details for Carl Battaglia, but got no response. Jay Rath was the only other one I had success in contacting, and it turned out he was the most passionate about the project at the time. He kept all the memorobilia and scripts, and came to the forum to talk about it. He said he would get around to digging up his box of Astroboy stuff sometime, but I never heard back from him.
Becke Wilenski found the forums of her own accord, I think, but I'm not sure she actually registered. She did the voice of Uran.
William Kevin Anderson, who did the music for the 2003 dub, also came along and said hello. We didn't have much conversation for him though, the series was so new I'm not sure it had even started showing yet. I have to admit I thought his music was no where near as good as the Japanese music. I have no idea why they changed it.

I hope I've got all that right. I'm going from memory but I have the information saved on my hard drive. I should put it on my Ministry of Science web site, because Jay Rath gave us the name of an uncredited voice actor and we also know Crazyd2000's dad was in the production crew. People tell me the site's comprehensive but it could be more so. :D

Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 17 years ago

"DrFrag" wrote:William Kevin Anderson, who did the music for the 2003 dub, also came along and said hello. We didn't have much conversation for him though, the series was so new I'm not sure it had even started showing yet. I have to admit I thought his music was no where near as good as the Japanese music. I have no idea why they changed it.

I agree, but then William Kevin Anderson may have done a very good job considering what was asked from him. I doubt that he was the one who decided to go for a techno music. :shifty:

InfernotheHedgehog
Kokoro Robot

Postby InfernotheHedgehog » 17 years ago

I discovered Astro when I was a bit younger. I saw a bit of the newer Astro Boy anime on kids WB and wasn't that interested. But, when I got my hands on Astro Boy: Omega Factor, I was hooked. I now have Astro Boy on the PS2 and i've seen about 5 or 6 episodes of the original Astro Boy franchise. I want to see the entire series, though it'll be in japanese because the english voice acting and names for the characters are rediculous. I also want to get my hands on the newer Astro Boy anime. As far as I'm concerned, Astro Boy is an amazing character.
Go, go, GO ASTRO BOY!

Visit my website at http://www.freewebs.com/sonicherojames ! :astro: :tenma:

CommanderEVE
Beyond the Stars

Postby CommanderEVE » 17 years ago

Cool! Welcome Inerno.

Stikibunn
Kokoro Robot

Postby Stikibunn » 17 years ago

I've never watched astroboy in japanese. It'd ruin my childhood in the same way watching Pokemon in japanese would.
Tezuka Roleplay: Niki!
[sigpic][/sigpic]
http://www.astroboy-online.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3605

richardthebrave
Kokoro Robot

Postby richardthebrave » 17 years ago

hmm, well there is a local channel here in the Philippines known as RPN 9.

in the early 80s (notably 1980-84) they showed a lot of US cartoons in that channel, specifically Superfriends, Space Ghost, Blackstar, He-Man etc.
That entire lineup of cartoons was dubbed by the channel as "Saturday Fun Machine"

when me and my family moved to another house, Channel 9 changed their line of cartoon shows and started showing Astroboy. I wasn't able to watch the pilot episode including the origin of Atlas at first. But soon after they finished the entire series, they restarted the entire series again.

the show would start around 9 or 930am every saturday morning. if i remember correctly they moved it to 10 or 11am during the first or second run of the series. it was fun watching the series of astroboy, i really anticipated every upcoming episode. i would get upset if my parents make an attempt to stop me from watching hehehe

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 17 years ago

Welcome to the forum, richardthebrave. Which series are you talking about?

Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 17 years ago

Welcome richardthebrave! :)

He's talking about the 80s, so I assume it's about the first color series. My favorite too! :D

richardthebrave
Kokoro Robot

Postby richardthebrave » 17 years ago

"jeffbert" wrote:Welcome to the forum, richardthebrave. Which series are you talking about?

hi! yeah, astroforever was right. it's the 80s series that i was able to watch. the 60s version wasn't aired here. but it would be cool if the channels here would start appreciating old animes and cartoons.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”