Which Dub is Which?

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Ashura
Kokoro Robot

Which Dub is Which?

Postby Ashura » 18 years ago

I've got a question, which I can only hope hasn't been answered clearly yet (as I don't want to be the sort who asks a question that's already been answered too many times).
I grew up watching Astroboy on TV in Canada, and have particular memories of the version I watched. I'de love to aquire the series (perhaps on DVD, if it's reasonably priced), but I also know that at least two English Dubs are in existence.
I don't know who the voice actors are, but I'm used to Prof. Ochanomizu being called Prof. Peabody, and Uran being called Sarah, for example. I've seen some episodes of the dub where Prof. Ochanomizu is called Dr. Elefun, and the voices don't sound quite right, and it doesn't feel as nostalgic for me.
I have yet to discover whether or not either of the DVD releases I know about (Madman and Manga/Anchor Bay) are of the dub which I am used to. I've read a few comparisons between them, but haven't learned anything beyond the fact that one has more cut scenes as well as the missing episode(s) of Atlas.
Can anyone enlighten me in my search? Thank you!

Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 18 years ago

Hi and welcome! :)

As far as we know, the English Canadian dub isn't available on DVD. Both the Australian and the American releases you are referring to are the US dub.

I don't know how well you remember the episodes, but this thread might interest you. I've listed the differences between all the versions I've seen, including the French version I've seen as a kid, that has the same edits than the version you saw. I haven't done many episodes yet, but you'll see that the version we saw is very different from what it was really supposed to be. Therefore, in my opinion, it's really worth it to buy Manga's set, which, aside from being a lot cheaper than the Australian release, includes the Japanese dub, so you are not stuck with the US dub if you don't like it. Then you may download the two missing episodes.

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Postby DrFrag » 18 years ago

Does anyone know who owns the rights to this version? And have any similar titles been released on DVD in Canada?

Ashura
Kokoro Robot

Postby Ashura » 18 years ago

Thanks for the info, as well as the recommendation. I'de browsed that thread a bit before, but was still hoping that the Canadian dub was somehow available. Good to know it does have the Japanese with subs, though. They're likely to be less cut than the version I'm used to, too.

Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 18 years ago

DrFrag wrote:Does anyone know who owns the rights to this version? And have any similar titles been released on DVD in Canada?
I don't know about the rights. My first idea is that the network itself must be the owner. Anybody wants me to ask them? :D

Yes, similar titles have been released on DVD in Canada (and part that Astroboy version itself has been released on VHS a long time ago). My jaw dropped when I saw "Princesse Saphir" out on DVD recently. Is it worth it, BTW? Apparently it ran on TV here in the 70s, but that was too early for me! :)

gamera
Kokoro Robot

Postby gamera » 11 years ago

"Astro Forever" wrote:
DrFrag wrote:Does anyone know who owns the rights to this version? And have any similar titles been released on DVD in Canada?
I don't know about the rights. My first idea is that the network itself must be the owner. Anybody wants me to ask them? :D

Yes, similar titles have been released on DVD in Canada (and part that Astroboy version itself has been released on VHS a long time ago). My jaw dropped when I saw "Princesse Saphir" out on DVD recently. Is it worth it, BTW? Apparently it ran on TV here in the 70s, but that was too early for me! :)

Do you know what version of the vhs astro boy releases used the canadian dub?
Was it the Manga Entertainment VHS version?

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”