something i'd like to point out...

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Kaileocomial
Metro City Citizen

Postby Kaileocomial » 17 years ago

Sparx wrote:thats that about *confused*

I think that violence & death in a kids show is not necessarily a bad thing if the consequences are shown... for example, a character dies & everyone around him is sad & misses him... therefore teaching kids that killing is a bad, sad thing. But it seems like most american networks don't care much about the violence just so long as it doesn't 'upset' the children... so they're more likely to put on a show with lots of 'glossed over' death & violence (ie, character dies, is never seen or heard of again) than a show which actually shows the real sadness of death.

So when translating a show like astro boy from another language, they seem more likely to cut out the 'emotion' which I believe gives the violence a purpose, and leave in the actual violence, which by itself is meaningless & potentially harmful to a young child.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 17 years ago

jeffbert wrote:[QUOTE=zeo]apparently,acording to a good friend of mine on DA (LuckyWinters) a friend of hers who was watching the japenese episodes says that the 2003 version dub was HORRIABLY cut down and bucherd.so it only leaves us to wonder...just what was the japenese version like?

It had a good bit more content that was not particularly aimed at 8-12 year old boys. Scenes with warmth were generally but not universally cut. Episode 20 (28 in the E vers) was about Peter Pan or actually a modernized version of it; but it was cut entirely, not only from the English version, but the Korean as well. :astro:

It had a good bit more content that was not particularly aimed at 8-12 year old boys. Scenes with warmth were generally but not universally cut. Episode 20 (28 in the E vers) was about Peter Pan or actually a modernized version of it; but it was cut entirely, not only from the English version, but the Korean as well. :astro: [/QUOTE]For perspective, check 1963 set #1. it has 001 in J w/ subtitles. I think the only to get an E subtitled uncut version of the '80s series is to get a copy of the pirated set. :astro:

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”