what is the best 1980's DVD box set?

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
CommanderEVE
Beyond the Stars

what is the best 1980's DVD box set?

Postby CommanderEVE » 17 years ago

i'm new to this but, i realy, realy what to get a 1980's astro boy DVD box set. but i don't know witch one to get :( i need some help picking one
well for first's i live in the UK london, so it probably be harder to get it.
can you get complete DVD collection of the 1980's?
Last edited by CommanderEVE on Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 17 years ago

It's probably Manga Entertainment's boxset. You will be missing half of Japanese episodes #1 and 2, but it's 3 or 4 times less costly than Madman's set. (You can then download these on the Internet. ;) ). On the other hand, they put back more missing scenes than Madman and you have the Japanese audio with subtitles. (I love watching it in English with English subtitles: I get it all, the original script translation and I still understand even if I don't read! :p )

However, I don't know if you can buy it in the UK. I know the "Greatest adventures" is available on the UK version of their site, but I haven't seen the full series. And if you import it from the US, then you'll have to make sure your DVD player can read NTSC and region 1 disc. If you choose Madman's boxset, then you'll have to be able to read region 4.

zeo
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby zeo » 17 years ago

Astro Forever wrote:It's probably Manga Entertainment's boxset. You will be missing half of Japanese episodes #1 and 2, but it's 3 or 4 times less costly than Madman's set. (You can then download these on the Internet. ;) ). On the other hand, they put back more missing scenes than Madman and you have the Japanese audio with subtitles. (I love watching it in English with English subtitles: I get it all, the original script translation and I still understand even if I don't read! :p )

However, I don't know if you can buy it in the UK. I know the "Greatest adventures" is available on the UK version of their site, but I haven't seen the full series. And if you import it from the US, then you'll have to make sure your DVD player can read NTSC and region 1 disc. If you choose Madman's boxset, then you'll have to be able to read region 4.

...well...thats great =/ i just hope i can find downloads that work.because as far as i know,PAL PS2's wont play anything other then reigon 2.great...i wish i lived in austrailia now,the land without reigon lock.

well...i guess its time for me to scrounge the internet for other episodes now...*opens up firefox*

its a bumber,i know,sparx,but still,seven episodes is better then nothing =)
yeah,i too have a deviant art acount ^.^ pop in some time to enjoy the fine art of rubishness!
as aproved by astro boy!
http://firelancess78.deviantart.com/
as aproved by astro boy!
ImageImageImage...what?

8-Bit Star
Kokoro Robot

Postby 8-Bit Star » 17 years ago

You can get cheap DVD players ($40 or less) that will do regionless as well as NTSC-to-PAL conversion and vice-versa.

At least, I know this is true in the US, but I would imagine its true in the UK as well.

Also, PC DVD-ROM drives can have their region changed and computers can display any type of video signal.

CommanderEVE
Beyond the Stars

ok, so the best to use for DVD's is a PC. i'm going to go to HMV store near my house and ask for Astro boy DVD's and i'll see that they got ;)

zeo
Rocket Ball Champion

Sparx wrote:ok, so the best to use for DVD's is a PC. i'm going to go to HMV store near my house and ask for Astro boy DVD's and i'll see that they got ;)

well,i got mine off amazon.so thats the bst place to go...
yeah,i too have a deviant art acount ^.^ pop in some time to enjoy the fine art of rubishness!

as aproved by astro boy!

as aproved by astro boy!

ImageImageImage...what?

CommanderEVE
Beyond the Stars

i can't buy things off the enternet :(

zeo
Rocket Ball Champion

ah,right.welli
,i hope the HMV near you has a "manga" section...i have top go to watford if i want to get manga without internet ordering ¬.¬ the nearest HMV to me dose'nt have one :d oh:

as aproved by astro boy!

as aproved by astro boy!

ImageImageImage...what?

8-Bit Star
Kokoro Robot

Postby 8-Bit Star » 17 years ago

To answer the topic question, here's the pros and cons of both sets:

The R1 set by Manga:

PRO: Every episode can be watched either in English or in Japanese with English subtitles. Any footage missing from these episodes is in the deleted scenes on the last disc. Can be gotten for less than $30 (in some cases, less than $20)
CON: The original first two episodes ("Birth of Astroboy" and "Astro vs. Atlas") are combined into one thirty-minute episode that deletes the first appearance of many major characters, including Skunk, Walper Guiss, and Atlas. The uncut version of these episodes ARE NOT available in this set.

The R4 set by Madman:

PRO: Comes with the uncut version of the first two episodes.
CON: Outside of those two episodes, the set is English language only, some of the other episodes are editted and I seem to recall hearing that the missing footage is not always included in the deleted scenes. It's also usually quite expensive, running for more than $80 at most places.

Personally, I'd say the ideal option is to buy the Manga set, then find out if anyone is willing to make a copy of the uncut pilot eps from the Madman set for you. Though in all honesty, the missing episodes isn't a major deal since just about everything that happens in them is recapped in later episodes anyhow.

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Postby DrFrag » 17 years ago

Yeah, I recommend the Manga set. It's much cheaper and you get dual audio.

The Madman set has a nice metal box, but how often do you watch the box? :D

Note that the UK picture standard is PAL, and the Manga DVDs are NTSC. It's a different resolution, so playing them on a native PAL television will resize them and give an inferior quality picture (I've tested this). However, it will look fine on a computer screen. In fact it will look better than the Madman set.
Last edited by DrFrag on Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”