Is Epsilon a Boy?

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
fafner
Cosmic Ranger

Postby fafner » 17 years ago

"crystal" wrote:im an Astroboy '03 expert here. Epsilon is a female robot who controls the weather

Is it so both in the Japanese and English dubs? I think there are differences with Denkou for example...
The real sign that someone has become a fanatic is that he completely loses his sense of humor about some important facet of his life. When humor goes, it means he's lost his perspective.

Wedge Antilles
Star Wars - Exile

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 17 years ago

"DrFrag" wrote:The 1980 version was male (Photar). I haven't seen the 1963 version, but Jeffbert might know. The manga ... I can't remember and I don't have them on hand to check.

I know the 2003 version looked female. Was she changed to male in the dub? I don't know what episodes she was in.

Epsilon was indeed a male in the previous versions including the manga & the 1963 series. I suspect that along with Kenichi's race-change, & perhaps a few other changes, the creators of the 2003 series wanted to be more inclusive of women & minorities. In keeping with this, the English-language version made the good doctor Irish. But then, Fred Ladd & Co. had long ago made Inspector Nakamura Irish, although that was for a different reason. :astro:

Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 17 years ago

"jeffbert" wrote:But then, Fred Ladd & Co. had long ago made Inspector Nakamura Irish, although that was for a different reason. :astro:
What do you mean? :eek:

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Postby DrFrag » 17 years ago

"jeffbert" wrote:In keeping with this, the English-language version made the good doctor Irish.

I had wondered if O'Shay just made it easier to pronounce Ocha, short for Ochanomizu. :unsure:

jeffbert
Minister of Science

"Astro Forever" wrote:What do you mean? :eek:

Nearly all cartoons esp. Bugs Bunny (Warner Bros.) made use of cops with thick Irish accents. I guess it was to parody movies. Perhaps Irish were stereotyped in that role.

Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 17 years ago

"DrFrag" wrote:I had wondered if O'Shay just made it easier to pronounce Ocha, short for Ochanomizu. :unsure:
That had always been my thinking.

"jeffbert" wrote:Nearly all cartoons esp. Bugs Bunny (Warner Bros.) made use of cops with thick Irish accents. I guess it was to parody movies. Perhaps Irish were stereotyped in that role.
I see. That was lost in translation over here! ;)

Hikari Tail
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Hikari Tail » 17 years ago

in the Manga series i got ( Dutch translated ) Espilon is refered to as ` Male` despite this he looks very fennmine, and out of all the Robots ( it was the Pluto Chapter) he did not want to fight and was a teacher/babysiter? ,

i gues he`s a old example of Japense `Bishonen`
Like art? like water coloring? like pointless rants ?
http://hikaritail.deviantart.com/
Visit my DA account!

jeffbert
Minister of Science

"Hikari Tail" wrote:in the Manga series i got ( Dutch translated ) Espilon is refered to as ` Male` despite this he looks very fennmine, and out of all the Robots ( it was the Pluto Chapter) he did not want to fight and was a teacher/babysiter? ,

i gues he`s a old example of Japense `Bishonen`

Hmm, perhaps it is no wonder that of all Pluto's victims, only Epsilon wanted to team with another target Heracles rejected the idea, because it was contrary to his pride. However, Epsilon did have his duty toward the orphans, & perhaps that accounts this and his wanting to leave Pluto buried in silt.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”