Talk about all things Astro Boy!
CommanderEVE
Beyond the Stars

Postby CommanderEVE » 17 years ago

:) it was cool.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 17 years ago

For what it is worth, the new TRSI catalog has a few pages on TRSI's history. According to this the company started out in 1989 selling nothing but 4 different Astroboy VHS tapes. "Fortunately, Astroboy proved popular & sales were brisk" (Spring 2007 catalog).

If the trend to make movies about old TV shows says anything, it says that film makers think people will want to see these shows again. Hasbro has for some years been making classic GI Joes, & if the expanding variety says anything, it says that men at least like to revisit their childhoods. In reference to the Astroboy TV series that failed here, it may have done better if it had been marketed as family entertainment, rather than a Saturday morning kids' show.

Moreover, somebody thought there was $$ in Astroboy, because the 80s was not only released on DVD, but the set included a decent amount of extras. SK wass already working on the 60s series, but the Australian Co seems to have contributed at least as much to the 60s DVD sets as TRSI.

I hope that the movie is marketed as a family thing, if so, it may fare better than the series did on TV. However, I think Turner Co. was looking for something that would immediately attract a large audience, & failing that, quickly tried something else. :astro:

astro_mcfly
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby astro_mcfly » 17 years ago

I think it's rather interesting how many people I really don't know that well from school recognize Astro and mention him to me in a positive way. ( I have an iron-on of Astro and Uran on my bag) And (I think someone asked this) I have friends who are Astro Boy fans who are not on the internet. =D

stoogefreaky
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby stoogefreaky » 17 years ago

Lucky! I wish I did. I have friends who hate it or don't even care for it or don't even know what Astro Boy is.

fading-memories
Kokoro Robot

Postby fading-memories » 17 years ago

*sigh* i notice this a lot, too.
Whenever Astroboy is brought up in conversation for some reason, I take a deep breath and get ready to say something like, "Oh! I love that show!" or, "Man, Astroboy is awesome!", but then a person next to me blurts out, "Ugh! I hate that show. It's so dumb!"
I try to explain it to them, but they never really listen. They've got they're mind set that all the show is about is a boy, who wears nothing but underwear, flies around and saves people. What's really annoying is that most of the people who've said comments like that haven't even watched the show...
I guess they just don't see in it what we see.

CommanderEVE
Beyond the Stars

Postby CommanderEVE » 17 years ago

Yeah I get that too Fading-memories :( the people in my school don't even know hat name is o.O it's quite odd, there is long 3 people in the school what know what anime is, and make that 4 when I’m involved. people ask me "what is you’re favorite shows" I say "I like anime" they say "hats that!" with a rude looking face, then after they look me up and down and call me a nerd after I told what it is.

Over where I’m they think Astro boy is gay. Because he wears only pants. I say “there is noting wrong with that, there is a man down my street that wears only pants in the summer and sits out said his front door"
And they still don't listing. And then I have meet an artist before and she drew Anime characters, I was really over the moon, she was rented my school to draw a load of anime cartoons at the back wall of the school that in witch case was bear. But the school had to vote out of two artists, the young one was the anime artist, and there was a much older one that drew stuff for little kids (that solo sucks) and they voted of the older one because the kids in the school thought the yonder one was crap, but really they didn't like anime.

And in the end the once bear wall was a big mess of colors with all books flying and kids plying the football pitch, the year 7’s painted it. The color was out of place and every thing.

Any way about the Astro boy thing. I said “oh, lets have Astro boy on the wall” every one started to shout at me saying stuff like “OH! Astro boys is a big gay cry baby”

That’s stereotyping, I hate it.

That did sound a bit off topic but it was some thing I wanted to shear with all the Astro boy fans, but I tell you there was one point here we could of put a little 3 foot Astro boy on the wall. But every one vote for the older one. And some one said to draw Dragon ball Z on there, because half of my school is big dragon ball Z fans. I was a huge fan not so long ago

Innocent_Eyes
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Innocent_Eyes » 17 years ago

Well, here in Australia Astro seems to be pretty well known. I don't know about Sydney or Brisbane or any other states around Australia, but I have seen a fair few Astro fans around here. Every time I go into the city I always see somebody with an Astro bag, and I mean always lol! They're everywhere! Even at the local plaza I see people with the same bag. I've seen a fair number of people with Astro shirts as well, and some of these people are not even kids. At work yesterday a girl about my age came into the store wearing a top with a big picture of Astro on the front, which I could not stop staring at while serving fries lol! Even my boss likes Astro because she has a bag and purse! There is also this red car that I usually see at this place called the Highbury Tavern which has a picture of Astro on the back of it. (I presume the person works there as I see the car there all the time.)

On the subject of Astro at school, there is one girl who I see that has a picture of Astro on her folder, but then again she may just like Astro as an anime/manga icon cuz she has other pictures on her folder of different anime shows. I don't think many of the girls at my school are really into Astro though as they're more into fashion, boys etc. My friends don't really like him, but they don't hate him - they're just not really interested. They know how much I love Astro and I'm glad that they respect me for it. They got me an Astro clock for my birthday :D My best friend likes Astro though. She actually asked me to watch one of the episodes one time and then when she slept over one time we watched a few episodes of the 80's series, so yeah.
Astro gets around! :D
Last edited by Innocent_Eyes on Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Postby DrFrag » 17 years ago

Most of the Astroboy stuff I've seen in Adelaide was in Ikeguchi near Hindmarsh Square. I know Sydney has way more, every time I go I get a list of anime stores and go to as many as I can buying up posters and whatever else I can find. :D

Innocent_Eyes
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Innocent_Eyes » 17 years ago

"DrFrag" wrote:Most of the Astroboy stuff I've seen in Adelaide was in Ikeguchi near Hindmarsh Square. I know Sydney has way more, every time I go I get a list of anime stores and go to as many as I can buying up posters and whatever else I can find. :D

Is Ikeguchi the store thats a little down from the Hungry Jacks on the corner? I had a look in there once but the stuff in there was too expensive for me. You should visit Shin Tokyo in Rundle Mall Plaza. They have a small range of Astro items and they also have the Dark Horse Manga novels.

I'm going to Sydney on Saturday to see the Tezuka: The Marvel of Manga exhibition in the NSW Art Gallery. I can't wait! I really wanna go back to the Paddy Markets and get more Astro collectibles! They have stacks of Astro merchandise in Sydney :D :astro: :heart:

stoogefreaky
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby stoogefreaky » 17 years ago

I only know one place out of the entire city of Austin that carries only little of Astro Boy merchandice. A small hidden place that used to been a house which is now a collectible store.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”