Astroboy the movie ( Sticky? )

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Fauna
Beyond the Stars

Postby Fauna » 14 years ago

Looking back, the movie needed less Nicolas Cage.

Ugh, it's losing to Saw?! The sad thing is that there's more people interested in seeing how badly that Saw incarnation will do, rather than going to check on the Astro Boy movie. Was this just a bad time for the movie to come out, or is the American public a little less trusting in films these days? (I say that because Astro Boy's doing very well in this country.)
ImageImageImageImage
Dr. Tenma lover and aficionado since 2006!
Now featuring the Sad Old Dad Squad (The S.O.D.S.)

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Dragonrider1227 » 14 years ago

Ah man...This is so dishearteningly to hear. I heard Astro Boy didn't go so well in Japan either. Its really frustrating to see bad movies like Saw IV getting rewarded while this is undeserving ignore. What gives?![/QUOTE]
Really? I heard it WAS received well in Japan
Stupid Saw. Saw needs to die :mad:
Mind you, I didn't expect instant success with this. We should keep an eye on how well Astro does in Rentals
Last edited by Dragonrider1227 on Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ninjatron
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Ninjatron » 14 years ago

There is a lot of competition this month. I've never really known October being a big month for movies but this year there were some heavy hitters.

But, don't be disheartened. Just the fact that there is a movie ensures the character's place in the world for another generation. I'll speak more about this later on ABW.

Sayonara
Image Image
Image Image

Nora
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Nora » 14 years ago

"Fauna" wrote:Looking back, the movie needed less Nicolas Cage.

Ugh, it's losing to Saw?! The sad thing is that there's more people interested in seeing how badly that Saw incarnation will do, rather than going to check on the Astro Boy movie. Was this just a bad time for the movie to come out, or is the American public a little less trusting in films these days? (I say that because Astro Boy's doing very well in this country.)

They decided to release the movie a week before payday :D
I'm a Literary Artist...not the Doctor!

http://shadowedinnocents.deviantart.com/

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Dragonrider1227 » 14 years ago

"Ninjatron" wrote:There is a lot of competition this month. I've never really known October being a big month for movies but this year there were some heavy hitters.

But, don't be disheartened. Just the fact that there is a movie ensures the character's place in the world for another generation. I'll speak more about this later on ABW.

Sayonara

A good point. Some of the biggest films in Cinema history started as Box Office bombs. Wizard of Oz anyone? So if Astro Boy doesn't fly in theaters, there's always home video and the hope that it can grow into a "cult classic." Kinda like The Iron Giant or Cats don't Dance
Just the same however, I just drew this and thought you all might find it amusing
http://dragonrider1227.deviantart.com/art/Saw-must-die-141377592
Last edited by Dragonrider1227 on Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wolf
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Wolf » 14 years ago

I'm still bum out to hear that Astro Boy didn't reach a wider audience. The fate it received is such a crying shame. :(

I sincerely hope it will at the very least make back its money. There are other countries where it hasn't open yet. My deepest sympathy goes out to the studio which hangs in the balance. They really don't deserve this.

Ninjatron
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Ninjatron » 14 years ago

A good point. Some of the biggest films in Cinema history started as Box Office bombs. Wizard of Oz anyone? So if Astro Boy doesn't fly in theaters, there's always home video and the hope that it can grow into a "cult classic." Kinda like The Iron Giant or Cats don't Dance

Exactly. The Iron Giant is really a great parallel with this film. Both were movies about robots that had a deeper message. Iron Giant ranked #8 in its opening weekend. I was there! It became one of my favorite movies ever and I was so disappointed that it didn't make more money at that time. Then it came out on home video, advertised via a bizarre commercial featuring skateboarding kids in a crude attempt to appeal to youngsters watching Saturday morning programming. All hope seemed lost. People just didn't get what to do with that movie. But now, all these years later, you can go just about anywhere, mention The Iron Giant, and get a positive reaction. It took awhile but that movie has gotten its due.
So while I am slightly disappointed, I'm not too concerned. Time will reveal the truth.
I still need to write my review for ABW! This I am slightly more concerned about! I just haven't had the time yet.

Sayonara.
Image Image
Image Image

Wolf
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Wolf » 14 years ago

Astro Boy Happy Meal TV Commericial:
http://www.happymeal.com/en_US/#Video_Page_Boy

Astro Boy official store is open:
http://www.astroboystore.com/

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary