Astroboy the movie ( Sticky? )

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Laughing Dragon
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Laughing Dragon » 14 years ago

"Nora" wrote:[QUOTE=Dragonrider1227;94186]I think if you're doing it like those Italian Pixar rip-offs then yeah, it's cheaper. But something like what Imagi or Pixar does can cost a pretty penny

its still cheaper then a huge group of artists wasting paper, ink, coloring ink, using the computers to put them into a film and stuffs. Also its very eco-friendly.[/QUOTE]

Plus there's the fact that a lot of money spent on an animated film goes into development. Now that the first film is finished, Astro, Cora, the blue core, Metro City, etc., are all stored in computer memory and can be pulled out at a moment's notice. All the rigging and other configurations have been completed. So a sequel to an Astro film wouldn't be like a sequel to, say, Princess and the Frog, where fresh new drawings would have to be made because it's 2D. It's possible that a sequel to Astro would cost considerably less than the original, and lose very little in visual quality. It's scripting that would be the problem...the potential bane of many an unsatisfying sequel...

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 14 years ago

"Laughing Dragon" wrote:there's the fact that a lot of money spent on an animated film goes into development. Now that the first film is finished, Astro, Cora, the blue core, Metro City, etc., are all stored in computer memory and can be pulled out at a moment's notice. All the rigging and other configurations have been completed. So a sequel to an Astro film wouldn't be like a sequel to, say, Princess and the Frog, where fresh new drawings would have to be made because it's 2D. It's possible that a sequel to Astro would cost considerably less than the original, and lose very little in visual quality. It's scripting that would be the problem...the potential bane of many an unsatisfying sequel...

Tezuka & co came up with a "Bank system" in which animated sequences were saved & reused; & this would likely have been used to some extent, even in a feature film. Thus, the workload could be greatly reduced. Several books cover Tezuka's cost-cutting techniques: Natsu Onada Power's God of Comics (132, 133) cites Fred Schodt's Astro Boy Essays (71,-72). I have noted a few others that neither of these authors mentioned. :D

Breakman
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Breakman » 14 years ago

"Nora" wrote:Plus there's the fact that a lot of money spent on an animated film goes into development. Now that the first film is finished, Astro, Cora, the blue core, Metro City, etc., are all stored in computer memory and can be pulled out at a moment's notice. All the rigging and other configurations have been completed

Not necessarily. If Imagi is like any other computer animation company, they are constantly trying to evolve their technology. Something that could have worked in version 2.0 might not in version 3.0. Computer programs are funny that way.

Hikari Tail
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Hikari Tail » 14 years ago

Well as starter of this thread and having waiting for this movie since 2003, i finally am able to look into my thread without fearing of spoilers since i saw the movie a few days ago in a small theater with my girlfriend ( who btw became a Astro boy fan after watching the movie )

Now i finally like to give my small review or a piece of my mind on the film * sighs * i must say i had a bad feeling about this film, seeing all other adaptions of comic books and video games as well i thought Hollywood would not be able to put it off , it would be either okay or really bad, and seeing the movie critic reactions...

But it turned out to be pretty good, i really enjoyed it! the film is a nice add to the collection of the Astro boy world it deserves to be on the list of the other series/movie with Atom.

The differences between the original story of Astro boy isn''t that huge or much of a big deal the 2003 version was different as well. The movie death scene of Tobio was extra sad as Tobio died in front of Tenma's eyes not even leaving a corpse for his father to bury.

The extra kid characters were a nice ad Cora is a nice tomboy and far from a marry sue however i didn't sense any romantic connection to her and Astro so i only see them as friends. I do admit i missed Alejo and Kenichi it would have been real cute if they added them.

I was also very surprised to see Detective sh-i can't spell his name but to see his role as a teacher as his true roll in the original manga was really nice 'wink wink 'reference for those who read the manga. As well as unknown to him His life was really effected by Astro boy before knowing him that well ( if you see the movie you know what i mean :p )

I also liked Osamu Tezuka's cartoon role in the movie working together with Tenma and Elfun was a nice toch.

I do admit i wasn't a huge fan of the villain he isn't as interesting as Tenma Atlas Drake Duke Red ect his role was more comedic and i was kind of surprised no one scoled him for you know being responsible for the death of a young child.

Anyway as a huge 2003 Tenma fan i was again disappointed not to see :tenma: going of his knochers and wearing his dark rain coat while stalking Astro Boy with his speeches how Astro boy has to become the king of robots and take over the world- but his role wasn't that bad in the movie with the exception of the horrible most lame first name they have given him.

The ending is a classic refrence to Astro boy again and it makes me want to see the movie getting a sequel , it makes me sad that chance might be small. I think every Astro boy fan should give this movie a chance and bring their friends over who knows it might get them into Atom it worked for my girlfriend who even said she liked the movie more then Princess and the Frog.

classic scenes :

Astro: I got machine guns in my..But?!

--------------

Astro boy saving a Metro city cop from a danger fall while his system is showing he is losing 'fluids' when he brings him to safety from another building only to be surrounded with other cops/macines Astro being irritated the Metro cop responds with i love you before jumping into his death with Astro looking rather uncaring.

-------------------------------

When the movie villain and Elfun are debating over the posetive/negative core Elfun tries to explain how the red - negative engry is unstable and would not have a good effect, the bad guy then responds how Negative energy always wins from positive using himself as an example with Elfun going: That's what i mean.
Last edited by Hikari Tail on Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Like art? like water coloring? like pointless rants ?
http://hikaritail.deviantart.com/
Visit my DA account!

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”