Astro voice actor here

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Firelord Zuko
Kokoro Robot

Re: Astro voice actor here

Postby Firelord Zuko » 4 years ago

Speaking of dubs, someone has uploaded a few episodes of the 80s series Canadian dub.

Here's the second episode.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHTAbNAYTLg

Strange Wings
Beyond the Stars

Postby Strange Wings » 4 years ago

I recently kept visiting this page for making a list of who did which voices of the 80's series.
Many thanks Jay for all your effort of telling us the detailed cast for each episode, it's very much appreciated! :)

Although it sounds to me as Dr. Tenma/Boynton was voiced by Brian Perry instead of Del Lewis, but maybe it's just my hearing. Their voices are pretty much alike anyway.

Does someone still have the pictures of the cast? As all photobucket/imageshack-links seem to be broken...
Thanks in advance! :tenma:
「頼むから、仕事をさせてくれ」
- 手塚治虫先生の最後の言葉

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Postby DrFrag » 4 years ago

Strange Wings
Beyond the Stars

Postby Strange Wings » 4 years ago

Thank you so much, DrFrag! :D
It's good that we can always count on you here. :astro: :astro: :astro:
「頼むから、仕事をさせてくれ」

- 手塚治虫先生の最後の言葉

gokaiblue
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby gokaiblue » 4 years ago

DrFrag wrote:https://imgur.com/a/9VUxTjV

They all recorded at the same time!? That's unheard of in a dub nowadays.

Genshi-san
Metro City Citizen

Postby Genshi-san » 4 years ago

THIS IS AMAZING! ensemble recording, they all look like they had a blast!

jayrath
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby jayrath » 2 years ago

We did! But it was also work. Recording all together let us interact. Doing it track by track and/or in separated studios is fine, but in my experience it leads to a loss of chemistry, a loss of energy.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Re:

Postby jeffbert » 2 years ago

jayrath wrote:FYI, my name is Jay Rath. I wish I could tell you all the voices I did. One was Pucko the duck. Another was the fat banker on the lost spaceship episode. I was also the mad "Frankenstein" scientist in the amusement park episode. In the weeks and months ahead I will review the shows and let you know who I played.

Please ask me anything you like. It's hard for me to come up with memories without suggestion.

Mad "Frankenstein" scientist in the amusement park episode?

I am looking, but find nobody matching the description. :D Perhaps describe his actions.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Re:

jayrath wrote:"Astro Fights Aliens"

Yet another bad, literal title from the Japanese translators. How many times has Astro already fought aliens?

Paul Nelson is the first voice, as Prof. Moss. I never said it before, but he is such a gentle and kind man. Tall and slim, he towered over the rest of us. But he was always the first to laugh.

Lt. Blackstone is me. Sounded like Dave at first, but then you get my flat twang (ugh, sorry). The officer who finds the stowaway is Rich Ganoung. The Stowaway is Kahlei Slick.

HAH! Lt. Nelson mentioned in dialogue? That is the cast's Paul Nelson, of course, and a tribute to his friendliness and good humor.

The "luminous object" crewman is Greg Zerkle.

Wow, Blackstone sounds like Dave so much, but I know it's me. Uh, because it is bad in parts. Dave would do better.

Dave and I were kind of twins in the cast -- same age and experience. Between us, we took all the tiny parts. A very fine actor. He does musical theater, too, which I cannot. He is a marvelous man. He just got married and they are expecting their first child. As I noted above, only he and I were called back for the sequel series.

Ha! So disco! And get that Astro "Village People" suit!

No, now I think Blackstone is Dave. Rich Ganoung and I are the other crew, though, with Zerkle.

Wow, Kahlei has such a rich voice. She should have been used more. She was a really leggy, hugely buxom actress. Ahem. You had to be there :) Kahlei was so, so bright -- a very smart woman. After Patty (Astro), she is probably the best actress I have ever met; Debbie was a children's theater director and the oldest of us -- she must be in her 60s now.

Patty of course was our hero. Just always so good, and I so loved her -- still do. She was "Pattybear" to me. She is Pattybear to all of you now, too. She was pregnant in the pilot. I saw her daughter born, grow up, go to college, and then go on to lead her own rich life. Ugh, how did I get to be so old?

Yeah, Blackstone is Dave.

i AM LOOKING AT the subtitles on the frames I captured. I do not see "Blackstone" anywhere. I do see "Ketchup." Sorry, I am not as familiar with English dubbed names as I am with Japanese. But, I cannot imagine that the English - language edition would not use the dubbed names in the subtitles. ;)

jeffbert
Minister of Science

mY BAD! It seems obvious that the subs on the ELV do use the Japanese names.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”