Astro voice actor here

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Fauna
Beyond the Stars

Postby Fauna » 15 years ago

Whoa, this is so cool! :w00t:

I never actually thought so many people worked on the voices in the 80's series! (sad thing is, I thought there were only two or three actors...) But really, this is some cool stuff to read. I've grown up with both the American and Canadian versions, and thank you for making Skunk so wonderfully creepy!

P.S.: What was the "two-hour pilot"?

fafner
Cosmic Ranger

Postby fafner » 15 years ago

"Fauna" wrote:P.S.: What was the "two-hour pilot"?

I think it was the famous "slaughtered first episode".
The real sign that someone has become a fanatic is that he completely loses his sense of humor about some important facet of his life. When humor goes, it means he's lost his perspective.

Wedge Antilles
Star Wars - Exile

jayrath
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby jayrath » 15 years ago

[QUOTE=Astro Forever;83741]Very glad to hear from you again, welcome back! :)

Technical question: there's a scene with Alvin speaking with Astro's dad. If I recall correctly, both voices were from the same actor. Did the actor quickly switched voices or did he record one character and then the other one?
QUOTE]

Yes, both were voiced by Richard Ganoung. I can't recall that specific scene. I imagine that one voice was done, and then the other was a pick-up, but it was not unusual for us to switch within the same scene.

jayrath
Rocket Ball Champion

"crazyd2000" wrote:jay-- remember mike demark from the show? if you want his email, I have it. PM me if you want it (I'm his son. He told me about you.)

Edit: this might be a good time to resurface this thread: http://astroboy-online.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3079

Mike Demark was our primary engineer, and I would like to make absolutely clear that he and others spent many, many months after the cast was done, making us sound good. I dropped by once to see him editing, going back and forth, back and forth, marrying tiny magnetic-tape audio clips to video.

Mike is some sort of sound wizard, and he should get his own cast credit. He was the performers' best friend.

jayrath
Rocket Ball Champion

"tonigirl1000" wrote:HI- HUGS AND THANKS SO MUCH JAY- HOPE WE BECOME FRIENDS

We already are friends!

jayrath
Rocket Ball Champion

Some follow-ups to the questions above:

The pilot was very long, and spelled out much, much more the death of Astro's human counterpart, and his father's grief. Skunk was introduced soon afterward. I mispoke -- the pilot must only have been an hour.

There is a Canadian color version of the show? I'm suprised! We knew of the b&w series. Besides being an actor, I'm also a cartoonist. I knew very well of Tezuka's importance, and I shared articles about him with the cast and crew.

You may be curious as to how we did the show. Each episode was divided up into very small clips, perhaps 30 seconds each. Each clip required many "takes," sometimes as few as three, sometimes many, many more. Matching lip movements was a real struggle, and sometimes we had to do rewrites on the spot.

We called matching the consonants "falafelling." Falafel was a new exotic food here at the time. I don't know how we hit on that as a term.

I recall some humorous moments. The Japanese translations often were too direct. For example, "hippo" was given to us in scripts as "water horse."

Another time, on break for lunch, we all went to a nearby McDonald's fast food restaurant. We ordered in character, doing our accents, etc. We thought it was pretty funny, but the servers didn't even blink!
Last edited by jayrath on Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crazyd2000
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby crazyd2000 » 15 years ago

Ill email this thread to my dad. He is i denver right now, working on the DNC.
Last edited by crazyd2000 on Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jayrath
Rocket Ball Champion

"jayrath" wrote:[QUOTE=crazyd2000;83745]

Edit: this might be a good time to resurface this thread: http://astroboy-online.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3079

The photo of the man editing is Mike. I took it myself. I will apply names to all the others in the other photo in that thread. I obviously did not take it, but it was taken on my camera.

crazyd2000
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby crazyd2000 » 15 years ago

he works for this now

fafner
Cosmic Ranger

Postby fafner » 15 years ago

"jayrath" wrote:Another time, on break for lunch, we all went to a nearby McDonald's fast food restaurant. We ordered in character, doing our accents, etc. We thought it was pretty funny, but the servers didn't even blink!

I imagine Skunk ordering, ending with his famous laugh :rolleyes:
The real sign that someone has become a fanatic is that he completely loses his sense of humor about some important facet of his life. When humor goes, it means he's lost his perspective.

Wedge Antilles

Star Wars - Exile

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”