Astro voice actor here

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
jayrath
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby jayrath » 15 years ago

"Innocent_Eyes" wrote:Hi Jay, I must say, for me (and I'm guessing everyone else here as well), it is actually quite an honour to have a cast member on board! I wasn't around when you first posted, so for me this is just plain awesome. Sorry to hear about your computer, though. Can I ask, how exactly did you get your part for the show? Was their auditions held, or anything like that? I would love to get a career in animation or voice acting when I finish my degree.

BTW, you did an exellent job on Skunk!

I am the one who is honored. None of us were union performers. We get no residuals. But your attention, many years later, is the best sort of continuing payment. Let me also add again that our engineers -- our audio crew -- deserve huge credit.

No, as I think I said here or on another thread, I was not auditioned. I'd just come off performing a stage revue, Neil Simon's "The Good Doctor," and the Astro director spotted me. I did many voices in the play.

Of course, the pilot itself was an audition for all of us. It was not certain at all that we would get to do the series.

I was just a kid. I'd done some radio drama earlier, but this was a huge leap forward.

jayrath
Rocket Ball Champion

P.S. to Innocent Eyes -- having gone on to write, direct and produce radio drama, my humble recommendations to any hopeful voice actor are to study music. It's all pitch, timbre and rhythm (of course, we were locked into existing Japanese rhythm for Astro -- the results sometimes were unfortunate). I have always found that musicians make the best voice actors. Take ear training!

AstroBoyGF
On a Flight into Space

Postby AstroBoyGF » 15 years ago

WOW!! THATS COOL!

Legeremain99
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Legeremain99 » 15 years ago

:D Jayrath, I think having one of the 80's cast members on the forum is absolutely awesome. I have read each of your posts and find them all fascinating and quite interesting. Thank you so much for sharing your experiences with us. :D

-Legeremain99 :) :astro:

jayrath
Rocket Ball Champion

FYI, my name is Jay Rath. I wish I could tell you all the voices I did. One was Pucko the duck. Another was the fat banker on the lost spaceship episode. I was also the mad "Frankenstein" scientist in the amusement park episode. In the weeks and months ahead I will review the shows and let you know who I played.

Please ask me anything you like. It's hard for me to come up with memories without suggestion.

Fauna
Beyond the Stars

Postby Fauna » 15 years ago

I believe this is Puko/Pucko he means, from "Time Machine"...

Oh! By the way, which episode was your personal favorite (to act in, or just to watch)?

jayrath
Rocket Ball Champion

I loved being Skunk! Any episode where I got to be him is my favorite.

Yes, that's the duck. A small part, but fun.

Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 15 years ago

"jayrath" wrote:In the weeks and months ahead I will review the shows and let you know who I played.

I'm looking forward to it! :D

tonigirl1000
Banned

Postby tonigirl1000 » 15 years ago

Thanks for being here Jayrath and everyone else- hugs

PuppetMasterKuruku
Kokoro Robot

Postby PuppetMasterKuruku » 15 years ago

I've nothing to say at the moment, aside from that I very much enjoyed your work, and that it is an honor to actually speak to you.

Do enjoy your stay here.
[sigpic][/sigpic]

For one that served under Dracula, you seem much too weak.
It's been said that the devil forgemaster's power rivals that of Death. -Trevor Belmont

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”