Astro voice actor here

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
jayrath
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby jayrath » 14 years ago

Yes, for a few years I've wanted to do a reunion show. If it happens, it will likely be a live-action DVD, showing all of us whom I can round up in person. With perhaps a phone call from Daddy Walrus? You and Brian (Dr. Elefun) were the hardest ones to find.

The plot for the show will be that Astro finally gets the program that allowed his brother, Atlas, to grow up. And so our little boy will grow. The feature, incidentally, pretty much shows Astro as a teen, not the child we "knew." Just a character design thing.

Alittleacorn
On a Flight into Space

Postby Alittleacorn » 14 years ago

Jay, if you're having trouble rounding up the original cast why don't you try a radio drama?

That way, if not everyone can meet up in person, they can still supply their voice through a mic, and then you could add in sounds effects in the background to portray where you all are. I've heard some animes do it over in Japan and they're really good. :)

Good idea on Astro being teenager. I always felt sad for the boy robot that he couldn't grow up. :cry:

Laughing Dragon
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Laughing Dragon » 14 years ago

I liked that he couldn't grow up. That's a major part of his charm. What's sad about it?

jayrath
Rocket Ball Champion

Yes, if it happens it will likely be as a radio drama.
The story idea is only that -- an idea. It would be nice to have it be a truly significant story of some sort, though. But Astro's saved the world so many times . . . where do you go from there?

Alittleacorn
On a Flight into Space

Postby Alittleacorn » 14 years ago

"Laughing Dragon" wrote:I liked that he couldn't grow up. That's a major part of his charm. What's sad about it?

Well, think about Dragon. Imagine having eternal life as a child. Though Astro's mental age may mature, physically he wouldn’t have aged at all. He’d be like an adult trapped in a child’s body. All his school friends would grow up around him and he’d be left behind. The same could well be said for Uran too.

But, depending on the different adaptations of Astro in anime and movie, how Astro could feel about remaining a child might differ. If it were the movie version Astro, I think he’d want to grow up than stay a boy.

That’s why find it sad, more so that unlike humans, Astro could live forever unless he got destroyed. Imagine having to watch every human you cared about pass away. That’s a sad life to live.

"jayrath" wrote:Yes, if it happens it will likely be as a radio drama.
The story idea is only that -- an idea. It would be nice to have it be a truly significant story of some sort, though. But Astro's saved the world so many times . . . where do you go from there?

It shouldn’t be too hard! I’ve never written script work before but I’d assume it to be very much the same as writing a story. You just have to capture the whole essence of the show.

For a storyline it doesn’t have to be dramatic as saving the world, you could just have it follow an ordinary day in Astro’s life. From him getting up having…(do robots have breakfast?) while talking with his family, to going to school, seeing Daddy Walrus, or visiting Dr Elefun at the Ministry of Science.

Who says Astro has to be the main lead, maybe it could follow a number of characters’ views with Astro popping in. Depending on who or how many you get on board, you could work around the plot so each character gets a role.

If you want there to be some form of crisis have something simple, like Jump is missing or Skunk up to no good, or better yet he’s taking a break in crime and is working at a hotdog stand. Get quirky humour in there and you could create something amazing. Make a joke how Uran never got to sing in the English dub, Astro running out of energy at the worst of times, or have those little pig chibi’s that always appeared in Tezuka’s work overthrowing humanity! :hyo: :hyo: :hyo: :hyo:

Although, if you’re looking for a significant idea like you said, I’d suggest something serious with Dr Boynton/Tenma. It always struck me how Astro gets these robots parents, and yet Boynton is written out of the series, like he never meant anything to Astro’s life.

If Astro is a boy with thoughts and feelings, wouldn’t he miss his Father? The show never depicted Astro being torn by the absence of Boynton, nor that he was replaced with robot parents. Even if Astro was happy in his new life, eventually, sooner or later, wouldn’t Astro want to seek Boynton out, like an adopted child wanting to meet its biological parent?

If you created a storyline with an emotional driven plot, you could probably make people cry. But, if it is action you’re looking for, just throw in a giant robot or two. That always seem to do the trick in the show lol!

jayrath
Rocket Ball Champion

There are a lot of hurdles, frankly having to do with sales. I'm not sure there's even much of an audience for a reunion, and it's going to cost a lot to make happen. So it needs to be a very special story. Also, in scripting, I'm going to have to steer around possible trademark and copyright violations.

"Doctor Who" and "Star Trek" fans have done so successfully, by nodding and winking at established names. We'll likely have to do it as "Astr*b*y" or something, and then keep names to a minimum in the production.

But I've tested the waters here before. There are some fans who want it, but I'm not sure we'd earn back even the cost of studio time.

CommanderEVE
Beyond the Stars

Postby CommanderEVE » 14 years ago

I'm so glad you have returned. It's good to see you again! :D

AprilSeven
Silent Song

Postby AprilSeven » 14 years ago

Because Tezuka allowed Atom/Astro's to take so many different "alternate routes" - it actually opens up more flexibility. A kind of "teaser" or "short" could be created to "test the waters."

I tend to agree with Alittleacorn's comments about Dr. Boynton/Tenma's relationship with Astro, and growing up, but it's obvious that people truly enjoy Astro in all his various incarnations/names/storylines - so I think it's certainly something that could "happen." We'd all need to work together to protect the copyrighted elements, and make sure people's talents are respected and compensated for. Maybe some research in how other people have done things like this would be a good place to start...

I'm really thrilled to have the Astro Actors on the board, and will start my study of the 80's series right away! :lol:

jayrath
Rocket Ball Champion

"Sparx" wrote:I'm so glad you have returned. It's good to see you again! :D

Well, I try always to be around. Without questions, I don't have much to say!

jayrath
Rocket Ball Champion

"AprilSeven" wrote:Because Tezuka allowed Atom/Astro's to take so many different "alternate routes" - it actually opens up more flexibility. A kind of "teaser" or "short" could be created to "test the waters."

I could easily be wrong, but I don't think Tezuka allowed much. We were all absolutely nailed to the wall as to what we could and could not do! Song lyrics, changes to dialogue -- they all had to be cleared, and the Nippon TV execs visited in person for a week. That was a pretty huge deal.

It did seem to loosen up after he died -- but I like to think we were the last to carry out his vision and intent.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”