Astro voice actor here

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Laughing Dragon
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Laughing Dragon » 14 years ago

Well, speaking for myself here, I'd love it if I could stay a kid. I know I'll always be a kid at heart. I have lost people - including siblings - but my desire to remain a kid hasn't wavered. If anything, it's gotten stronger.

I think Astro is at his most appealing as a kid. He was aged slightly for the movie - he's thirteen there, as opposed to nine years old in the animes - and his voice is deeper, and that's about as old as I want him to ever get. A robot boy is more likable than a robot teenager IMO. But that's just my take.

I would love to see a continuation - even as a radio play - of the Astro story from the movie. Of course, that's not possible. But that's what I'd like most of all.

Beyond the Stars

Postby avatargirl » 14 years ago

HI- WHY NOT POSSIBLE? Better then most stuff on tv and the radio- thanks

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 14 years ago

I suggest you contact TRSI or ANCHOR BAY ENTERPRISES, as the latter distributed the 1980s series DVD, & should know whether there is any $ to be made in this. TRSI, likewise has an interest in Astroboy. You might even be able to contact Shawn Kleckner by PM; though he has only posted when things were released, he might answer:

shawnek

:p

I would think that, if anyone has any chance, Jay would.

Laughing Dragon
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Laughing Dragon » 14 years ago

"avatargirl" wrote:HI- WHY NOT POSSIBLE? Better then most stuff on tv and the radio- thanks

Not possible because of legal issues, for one. Imagi or Summit probably have some ownership of the images and characters created for the movie. And then there's the voice talent. Would they be available for a new production? Sound-alikes could probably be substituted, it's true, but it's hard for me to imagine someone doing as good a job as Freddie Highmore in the role of Astro. And then there's the money; who's going to pay for it? And would the result be profitable?

That's the real world for you; it spoils a lot of plans. :)

jayrath
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby jayrath » 14 years ago

This would be an 80s cast reunion. We could weasel around trademark and copyright.

My only question is: how many here would pay around $20 for a DVD? From my past head counts, I get maybe four people, despite all the love.

AprilSeven
Silent Song

Postby AprilSeven » 14 years ago

count me in!

TasZero
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby TasZero » 14 years ago

Sadly yes, only a few people would be interested. Perhaps you ought to consider something along the lines of a documentary.

Interviews, audio recordings etc. If you took this sort of approach you don't have to worry about any copyright problems. I know everyone on here would love to see any tiny piece of information you guys can present, opinions, scripts, photos etc. It doesn't have to be a highly formal thing with expensive studios etc. All you need is a decent microphone for the radio drama idea and a camera if there is going to be any kind of get together.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do, I hope you enjoy organizing it all and meeting the people you haven't seen in quite some time.

Bob Gonzalez
Kokoro Robot

Postby Bob Gonzalez » 14 years ago

"TasZero" wrote:Sadly yes, only a few people would be interested. Perhaps you ought to consider something along the lines of a documentary.

Interviews, audio recordings etc. If you took this sort of approach you don't have to worry about any copyright problems. I know everyone on here would love to see any tiny piece of information you guys can present, opinions, scripts, photos etc. It doesn't have to be a highly formal thing with expensive studios etc. All you need is a decent microphone for the radio drama idea and a camera if there is going to be any kind of get together.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do, I hope you enjoy organizing it all and meeting the people you haven't seen in quite some time.

TasZero, the idea of a documentary is exactly what I have been thinking of. I agree, too, that it doesn't have to be so formal and could be done on a shoestring. I think the cast would love to reminisce about the experience. I know I would. So stay tuned and see what we come up with.

Thanks for bringing this up. Check out my post about it on the "Hooray, I found the 1980s Daddy Walrus" thread. I'm looking forward to what Jay thinks.

Bob Gonzalez
Kokoro Robot

Postby Bob Gonzalez » 14 years ago

By the way, is there any Astro Boy activity and presence at ComicCon?

TasZero
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby TasZero » 14 years ago

"Bob Gonzalez" wrote:TasZero, the idea of a documentary is exactly what I have been thinking of. I agree, too, that it doesn't have to be so formal and could be done on a shoestring. I think the cast would love to reminisce about the experience. I know I would. So stay tuned and see what we come up with.

Thanks for bringing this up. Check out my post about it on the "Hooray, I found the 1980s Daddy Walrus" thread. I'm looking forward to what Jay thinks.

Yes, I had a look and saw you made the very same suggestion. I guess that means it is a good idea. The other good thing about making a documentary is there are very few restrictions. It doesn't even have to be official. I've seen a couple of fan made documentaries for other franchises but this is the first time I've seen the cast as the ones trying to organize it. Its great that we have someone like Jay working on putting it all together. I do look forward to hearing about anything thats comes of this. I'll stay tuned.

"Bob Gonzalez" wrote:By the way, is there any Astro Boy activity and presence at ComicCon?

Not that I am aware of, of course I have never been to one. It might be interesting to look into it and see if anything had been done about Astroboy. Maybe someone else on the site might know about it. Regardless however I think it would be a very small presense as the Astroboy fanbase is rather small. I think most of the "fans" aren't part of an active fanbase, like this one. Instead being adults who grew up with Astroboy and have long forgotten all the details.

Also, kind of unrelated, but I think it is an interesting question none the less.
How much did you know about Astroboy before going into recording. And since the recording did you see any of the new Astroboy works, and what did you think of them.

And out of curiosity, do you think you can still do the voice like you did in the show?

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”