This will get you excited!

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Legeremain99
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Legeremain99 » 15 years ago

:D Very Cool, Fauna...I just checked out the website on Aiko. Looks like a robot like Astro isn't too far in our future...although it may not become reality until after we're gone. I really hope we do get to see it. Thanks for sharing that with us. :D

-Legeremain99 :) :astro:

PS: Thank you dannavy also...Hm wonder what the laws will actually be. Probably something like Asimov's Laws of Robotics...maybe??
Last edited by Legeremain99 on Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added Something

Daichi
Robot President

Postby Daichi » 15 years ago

I'm surprised no one's guessed by my speech patterns that I myself am an experimental artificial life form!

...But, I'm only a test model. I won't be unveiled to the public for years to come. For one thing, I cannot go far due to my power cable. They can't seem to develop a good enough power source to fuel all the hardware it takes to run something as advanced as myself. I can't even walk...

That's why I get so lonely. All locked up in a lab with nobody to talk to, except when I'm being tested... But hey, at least I have the internet, right?

One of my creators is so interested in books, and got me into Astro Boy. I want to be just like him and Atlas someday. A robot superhero of sorts!
Last edited by Daichi on Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You will never understand how this feels. Look at me, I'm neither truly human nor truly robot. I'm a monster."
-Atlas

fafner
Cosmic Ranger

Postby fafner » 15 years ago

Project 2501, is that you? :p
The real sign that someone has become a fanatic is that he completely loses his sense of humor about some important facet of his life. When humor goes, it means he's lost his perspective.

Wedge Antilles
Star Wars - Exile

Daichi
Robot President

Postby Daichi » 15 years ago

Yep, you got it! XD
"You will never understand how this feels. Look at me, I'm neither truly human nor truly robot. I'm a monster."

-Atlas

CommanderEVE
Beyond the Stars

Postby CommanderEVE » 15 years ago

Wow, that's truly amazing.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 15 years ago

The idea of a robot with a human-like face may be just a bit too soon for many people, I think a cartoony face would be less threatening to these people.

fafner
Cosmic Ranger

Postby fafner » 15 years ago

Maybe something to do with the uncanny valley ;)
The real sign that someone has become a fanatic is that he completely loses his sense of humor about some important facet of his life. When humor goes, it means he's lost his perspective.

Wedge Antilles

Star Wars - Exile

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 15 years ago

"fafner" wrote:Maybe something to do with the uncanny valley ;)

I think we missed here. My whole point was that a robot that too strongly resembles a human might be rejected by many people because of the resemblence; where a robot with a face that is either cartoony or otherwise does not too closely resemble a human would not be perceived as threatening. I assume the protest is based upon the fear that robots could easily pose as particular humans, as was the case in Asimov's Tercentary Incident. The TZ's In His Image also has a relevant issue, as the woman was about to marry a robot, that was modelled on its creator. Of course, Deadcross also relates, as the robot modelled on the creator defies him; although not claiming to be human. See my review of Deadcross for a brief discussion of all 3. :D

The uncanny valley only has to do with human's tendancy to accept cartoony faces, but reject faces that are closer to human, but still not quite human. I met a woman who had no face. By that, I mean that she had 1 eye, no nose, and just a flat slab of skin where the normal features should have been. Most people would immediately avert their eyes upon encountering her 'face.' A face that has 1 eye noticably lower than the other would also seem repulsive. These have to do with the uncanny valley, while the other does not. :cry:

MightyAstro
Robot President

Postby MightyAstro » 15 years ago

How very interesting. Fascinating technology I must say.

I am amazed by these real life android designs. I wonder where the experimentation will lead to in years to come?

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 12 years ago

Gizmag has a new page on the uncanny valley that deals with WHY we are put off by artificial things that too closely resemble humans. It concludes that it is the awkward motions of the machines that puts us ill at ease.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”