how tall is astro?

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 15 years ago

I do not think solar cells would even provide a drop in the bucket compared to the energy (hard 'g') demands of any worthwhile robot. However, I might be greatly underestimating the area occupied by skin; I am aware the the skin is the largest of all organs (except on living Skeletons such as the ones in the old fantasy Ray Harryhausen films about Jason & the Argonauts, etc!). But if I wanted a child-sized robot, I would want one soft, warm, & cuddly, rather than cold and hard. :lol:

True, it might be cool to have GORT as a friend, just think of the advantages:

1. you would never lack for a vacant parking space
  2. You would never need to wait in line or in the queue, people would be happy to give you 'frontsies.'
  3. No matter your age, they would always give you the senior discount!

Just try that with a cute little "child-alike robot!" :d evil:

TasZero
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby TasZero » 15 years ago

Well, it brings us back to the Astroboy timeline of robotic development. First came the huge things that didn't even look like people, then they became more humanoid, then they had upgrades to look like humans by replacing the skin, and finally they came up with the tech to make Astro, in the manga that process took about 30+ years, in real life it would take a lot lot longer.

Solar cells may not completely power the robot, but I imagine it could up the battery life somewhat, given the robot were designed to be as power hungry as the human body, as the robot tech went from giant round thing to humanoid shaped the tech would improve... and Japan would be quickly trying to make robots like what they have seen in their anime..... and there would be a lot of them, thats why I expect many robots to be designed in Japan.

I admit that having GORT as a friend would have advantages, however having a child robot would be incredibly cute to the masses... and I think robot animals would be useful and cute at the same time, we have seen robot assistants in Astroboy afterall.

clashing claws
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby clashing claws » 14 years ago

To me he looks like he is as tall as a teenager.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 14 years ago

Welcome to the forums, clashing claws! I assume your comment refers to the 2009 movie version.

clashing claws
Rocket Ball Champion

Sorta

clashing claws
Rocket Ball Champion

I've been shy lately and embarrassed cause of my username clashing claws. I'm trying to get a new username.

Big Astro Fan
Robot President

Postby Big Astro Fan » 14 years ago

I think that's a cool name. What does it stand for?

clashing claws
Rocket Ball Champion

Are u talking to me or somebody else????????????????? And thx about my username if your talking to me :D

dannavy85
Banned

Human things astro might try, then regret.

Postby dannavy85 » 14 years ago

So if Astro wants to feel more human, what are some of the things he might try but later regret?
---------
1) Programed headaches.

Astro: Hold on!

Atlas: Why? Why are you holding your head like that?

Astro: I got a migraine and it's a whopper! You got any aspirin? Boy this was a dumb idea....ouch!
----------

2) Scrapped knee and ankle pain.

Reno: You ok?

(Astro holds shin like Peter Griffen)

Astro: Pssssssssssss.....ahhhhhhh.....pssssssss.....ahhhhhh......

Reno: Bad program idea huh?

Astro: You said it! Psssssssss....ahhhhhhh
"You guys have some serious Mommy issues."

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 11 years ago

In the "Astro Cat" manga Atom's height was stated as 123cm (not including hair spikes), which is almost EXACTLY 4 feet tall. In one of the anime or manga episodes his weight was stated as 67 lbs. I wonder if anybody ever took a tape measure to his statue at the Tezuka Manga Museum in Japan?

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”