The Canadian Dub IS ON THE WAY!

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Fauna
Beyond the Stars

The Canadian Dub IS ON THE WAY!

Postby Fauna » 15 years ago

Coming soon to YouTube: "The Robots Nobody Wanted" and "The Girl From Alsoar"!

Right now, I'm trying to record .WAV files of the audio and put them onto a higher-quality video of either episode. It's a little hard because I have to make certain cuts in order to work with the audio...in "The Robots Nobody Wanted", remember the huge battle with the robot guy in the giant robot legs? The battle is simplified drastically, and as soon as Astro throws the robot into the wall, no more is shown or said of the guy. (This means that were was no mourning scene, or flashback to the robot scrapper.)

I don't like ragging on the American dub anymore, ever since I got to talk to Jay Rath and hear how strict the dubbing process was. But I love all the voices in this version! The actors here are freer with their roles, and it's a lot goofier and happier in this version.

For now, see a super-low-quality version of the Canadian intro! They credited Tezuka as 'Tesuka'...

Sailor Kitty
Metro City Citizen

Postby Sailor Kitty » 15 years ago

Ah, I'd like to see that, :D

...Watching dubbs from diffrent places is fun, especially when several places with the same langeuge dubbs the same series.

Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 15 years ago

Thanks Fauna! I've always been curious.

Be glad you didn't have "Save the Carolina 3". You would have had *a lot* of fun synchronizing that one! :lol:

TasZero
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby TasZero » 15 years ago

looks like its going to be a big job for you. But I can't wait to see the episodes when they are done. From the sounds of it it promises to be quite different. Good luck with it :)

wildpegasus
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby wildpegasus » 15 years ago

Now I remember that starting!! Ty

Interestingly, my friend once told me how there was different footage shown for the exact same episode on two different channels before.

Maybe the French version or perhaps even a different English version if he was remembering correctly?

Wolf
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Wolf » 15 years ago

Oh yeah, that brought back some forgotten memories. I think the Canadian intro is better than the American version. Thanks, Fauna.

Fauna
Beyond the Stars

Astro Forever wrote:Thanks Fauna! I've always been curious.

Be glad you didn't have "Save the Carolina 3". You would have had *a lot* of fun synchronizing that one! :lol:

I wouldn't mind it; at least I'd get to hear what Skunk/Slippery sounded like. :) But having seen the French version, his gang was all "Hey guys, we're boarding your satellite and being totally non-threatening. Shoot you in the eye? No, noooo..."

ATTENTION!

I have finished the editing, and The Robots Nobody Wanted is being uploaded as I speak/type. Almost four minutes of footage was cut from the Canadian version, this being:

1. The battle between Astro and the robot guy in the giant robot legs (including one second of Astro falling on a rock)
2. The robot guy's death, and flashback to the scrapping depo
3. The island chief coming up to the robots, staring them over, then drooling over Becky. The chief's wife pinches him and he yells at her.
4. Astro's battle with the space station security
5. A part of the broken spaceport exploding...but it was okay to show it heating up.
6. The three robots passing out/dying after saving the spaceport, then news footage of robots being saved from the scrapping depo

If you guys think this is a lot, wait until you see how The Girl From Alsoar ends. :lol: In this version, it's made much more obvious that Becky's owner was trying to get Becky fired, which I feel was good to put in.

My opinion on the voices...while I like them all, my favorites are Astro (thank you, Steven Bednarski!), Dr. Elefun/Prof. Peabody, Becky and the Big Chief ("What am I going to doooo with a chaiiiin of warriors?!"). Peter's old owners sound a lot better too, as in the American version, they sounded like angry Muppets. In this one, they have faint Nova Scotian accents (also called "Canadian accents" by the rest of the world).

Fauna
Beyond the Stars

The episode is up! Just see my previous post for my opinion. :)

Part One
Part Two

YouTube really messed these up. It's soul-crushing to spend a week on this, instead of on my History essay, and have the Uploader ruin the sync... :d oh: The guy who commented on pt. 1 goes to my school and is a jerk, so I may have snapped at him too hard.

BUT ANYWAY! If anything, take a listen to the voices!

Wolf
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Wolf » 15 years ago

The Canadian dubbed for Astro Boy sounds so much better than the deadpan American dubbed.

TasZero
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby TasZero » 15 years ago

You should try uploading it somewhere other than youtube, that way it won't get removed, and everyone on the forum can see your hard work.
I think the voice actors do a much more convincing job than the other version. Its a pity they cut it all up so much, otherwise I could just do a dual audio track with the American verison.

Thanks for uploading :)

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”