I saw the new astroboy movie!

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 14 years ago

"Four mighty starships; toys to be crushed!" :lol:

If Atom is indeed depicted as an adolescent, it would seem indicative of the screenwriters' lack of background into Atom's manga history. In his preface to Egyptian conspirators, Tezuka wrote that when he depicted Atom as older, the series' popularity dropped. In fact, the popularity seemed to vary inversely with Atom's age (to a point, anyway). Both Goku & Arale are strong as titans, but their creator Akira Toriyama makes them as cute as they can be. :lol: I think with this film the idea was that little kids would not appeal to American kids who are in a hurry to grow up as much as older ones would. :astro:

Latu
On a Flight into Space

Postby Latu » 14 years ago

"jeffbert" wrote:"Four mighty starships; toys to be crushed!" :lol:

If Atom is indeed depicted as an adolescent, it would seem indicative of the screenwriters' lack of background into Atom's manga history. In his preface to Egyptian conspirators, Tezuka wrote that when he depicted Atom as older, the series' popularity dropped. In fact, the popularity seemed to vary inversely with Atom's age (to a point, anyway). Both Goku & Arale are strong as titans, but their creator Akira Toriyama makes them as cute as they can be. :lol: I think with this film the idea was that little kids would not appeal to American kids who are in a hurry to grow up as much as older ones would. :astro:

Too true!

But dang, I remember hearing word about the movie probably about 2 years back throughout the forums, and we all kept asking questions about when it would be coming out, etc.. It kept getting changed and what not and now look... It's practically here! Only 2 more days until it's American release... I can't wait! :w00t:

Maybe it's time to pull out the ol' Omega Factor for the Gameboy Advanced... :astro:
"Astro, you must exceed the limitations that humans cannot!
You must be go beyond nationality, ethnicity,
pilosophy, and religion,
starvation and poverty,
and war!
Exceed these limitations created by man!
You must fly high! Higher than any human has ever flown before!
To reach for the future that no human has been able to so far!"
:tenma: :astro:

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Which of the classic characters are in it? If anyone has images of them, please share.

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Postby DrFrag » 14 years ago

Just what can already been seen in various trailers and previews found on the Internet. Dr Tenma, Dr Elefun, Toby, Astro, Moustachio, Tezuka, Hyoutantsugi, and Hamegg. They all have talking roles, except for Hyoutantsugi of course.

There's also the man-made solar sphere, if you want to count that as a character.

No doubt better pictures will surface once it's released on DVD/Bluray.

Latu
On a Flight into Space

Postby Latu » 14 years ago

Looks awesome!
"Astro, you must exceed the limitations that humans cannot!
You must be go beyond nationality, ethnicity,
pilosophy, and religion,
starvation and poverty,
and war!
Exceed these limitations created by man!
You must fly high! Higher than any human has ever flown before!
To reach for the future that no human has been able to so far!"
:tenma: :astro:

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Thanks, Doc! I suppose I could have saved you the trouble by PRTSCRNing while viewing the trailers myself, so I am sorry for not thinking of that earlier. :hyo:

ASTROBUDDY
Robot President

Postby ASTROBUDDY » 14 years ago

"jeffbert" wrote:"Four mighty starships; toys to be crushed!" :lol: If Atom is indeed depicted as an adolescent, it would seem indicative of the screenwriters' lack of background into Atom's manga history. In his preface to Egyptian conspirators, Tezuka wrote that when he depicted Atom as older, the series' popularity dropped. In fact, the popularity seemed to vary inversely with Atom's age (to a point, anyway). Both Goku & Arale are strong as titans, but their creator Akira Toriyama makes them as cute as they can be. :lol: I think with this film the idea was that little kids would not appeal to American kids who are in a hurry to grow up as much as older ones would. :astro:
Having seen the movie at an advanced screening a week before its scheduled U.S. premiere, I am pretty sure he is depicted as a prepubescent boy and I believe Tezuka was speaking more for Tetsuwan Atom's popularity in Japan! [Although depending on the time period (yours and Astro Boy's) you first discovered Astro Boy, some outside of Japan might prefer the younger Astro Boy!] I enjoyed the film and I believe it is in the spirit of Tezuka, if not the letter! At the special screening I met the director, David Bowers and he told the audience in a question and answer, after the screening of "Astro Boy", that he researched the manga version and used that as his template! (Although those familiar with the the TetsuWan Atom multiverse will recognize different inspirations not just from the manga!) I am hoping that you all enjoy the film, as I did, for what is--"Astro Boy" in great state-of-the art CGI animation. (One last thing, I believe they designed him to appear close to the age he was in the original anime, while still keeping elements of "Shin Tetsuwan Atom"!)
Last edited by ASTROBUDDY on Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Meeshell
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Meeshell » 14 years ago

awww dang
i wanna kno what happens in the last 10 seconds

drakeshe
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby drakeshe » 14 years ago

"Meeshell" wrote:awww dang
i wanna kno what happens in the last 10 seconds

The big monster appears randomly and starts shooting the city.
New Astroboy Forum Design - Preview

Add me on MSN: drakeshe[at]hotmail.com

jeffbert
Minister of Science

I do not know why, but this Tenma reminds me of Wallace (& Gromit). :lol:

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”