Your thoughts on the movie? (SPOILERS of course)

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Dragonrider1227 » 14 years ago

"dannavy85" wrote:
I didn't like the Blue/Red energy track, I didn't like the human bashing, anti-human, humans wiped out mother earth schick. To be honest, a bunch of people put their political propaganda into this film.

Dude, have you ever actually sat down and READ the Manga? That thing is chock full of human bashing. I often read it thinking "Wow, Tezuka doesn't think much of humanity, does he?" I can't blame him considering he was a Japanese man during WWII but that fact remains that the Manga had just as much bashing as the movie.
"dannavy85" wrote:And did anyone catch the banner on that building just before the Peacekeeper crashed through it and tapped on the podium?

"NOT THE TIME FOR CHANGE."

What was that all about?!

Yeah, like Tezuka NEVER used current events as an example for his messeges (coughVietnamcough)

Breakman
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Breakman » 14 years ago

Hello everybody! Remember me? : :grin: :

"dannavy85" wrote:To be honest, a bunch of people put their political propaganda into this film.

I second that and that is probably the biggest obstacle I had keeping me from fully enjoying the movie.

But I did love the 3D (although everyone got a strange makeover in one way or another) and the moments of cuteness sprinkled throughout the film (instant "aww" when I saw Dr Tenma carrying Astro away after booting him up).

The soundtrack wasn't memorable (I wanted a solid heroic theme for Astro) and the voice choices were iffy (I never like it when studios pick big name stars).

I also feel that there were opportunities missed. For example, they could have Atlas instead of the Peacekeeper and there was no Astro Girl. Granted, if they were to add Altas and Astro Girl, the movie would have been longer. I can see how the story of Atlas could have taken a good chunk of time to fully understand his character. I also found that the message of 'equal rights for robots' kinda weak in the movie. Other than Astro, Orrin, and probably Zog, none of the robots really showed any positive or thoughtful emotions. The R.R.F. was driven by anger (though in a comedic light) and the cleaning robots 'helped' only because of the Laws of Robotics. They could have had the junk robots laminate how they long to be useful again or unfair that humans can make things with emotions and then throw them away like trash. But opted to make them just mindless zombies stuck in what they were programed to do.

I actually loved the last minute of the movie. I wanted Astro to fight something outrageous such as aliens as he usually does in the older cartoons. I sorta, partly got my wish. ^^

I know I can say more about how I liked and disliked the movie, but at the moment, I'm blank. I'll probably watch it a third time next week or so. ^^;
Last edited by Breakman on Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

astro_mcfly
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby astro_mcfly » 14 years ago

"dannavy85" wrote:
I didn't like the Blue/Red energy track, I didn't like the human bashing, anti-human, humans wiped out mother earth schick. To be honest, a bunch of people put their political propaganda into this film.

I don't go to movies to get a two hour propaganda film like "The day after tomorrow" or the heavilly anti-industrial, pro-green trash that was Speed Racer. I go to movies like "Where the Wild Things Are." to escape the real world for a few nice moments.

And did anyone catch the banner on that building just before the Peacekeeper crashed through it and tapped on the podium?

I had to get this off my chest, I really loved the CGI and some of the moments but overall the whole film's background political schicks left me upset.

That was probably the most annoying thing about the film for me. I mean, it isn't like Astro Boy is new, he's a character who first appeared in 1950s JAPAN. I mean... Ugh. For real. I wanted to throw my food at the screen whenever anything about "wanting to get re-elected" was mentioned. and that's bad, given for once, I didn't sneak any food in! :O I... don't know. I could have lived with it toned down a LOT more. Just, EVERY. MOVIE. an american touches. NOWADAYS. (almost) has the same thing going on it. However, that rant aside, I really did enjoy the movie. I was glad they didn't trash it as bad as SPEED RACER gaaaah... : P

and did I see something about things in the film being similar to that of WALL-E? I agree. lol. And I must say, I liked THAT movie, but now, I swear, studios are beating a dead horse... well, I think it's dead. If it isn't for everyone else, it SHOULD BE. *rolls eyes*

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Postby DrFrag » 14 years ago

"dannavy85" wrote:Tezuka saw Atomic energy's better qualities and what better way than to put it into this powerful robot kid who could crush a car, rip apart a spaceship or blast away an asteroid.....

And yet he loves dogs?

I don't go to movies to get a two hour propaganda film like "The day after tomorrow" or the heavilly anti-industrial, pro-green trash that was Speed Racer. I go to movies like "Where the Wild Things Are." to escape the real world for a few nice moments.

And did anyone catch the banner on that building just before the Peacekeeper crashed through it and tapped on the podium?

I had to get this off my chest, I really loved the CGI and some of the moments but overall the whole film's background political schicks left me upset.

Um, are you familiar with Tezuka's message at all?

Osamu Tezuka wrote:What I try to appeal through my works is simple. The opinion is just a simple message that follows: "Love all the creatures! Love everything that has life"! I have been trying to express this message in every one of my works. Though it has taken the different forms like "the presentation of nature," "the blessing of life," "the suspicion of too much science-oriented civilisation," anti-war and so on.

If that upsets you, you're in the wrong fandom.

cybotron
Robot Revolutionary

The Blue and Red Core issue

Postby cybotron » 14 years ago

Ok....
I decided that due to the squawk I'll have to talk about Blue core and Red core just once. :unsure:
IMAGI is a film and cultural fountain of learning and Cyber artistry. It is also located in Hong Kong....
Astro is the vanguard of entire new film production "Mecca!"
Hundreds of new and delicious film makers and the IMAGI studio is out in front!
Behind the Bambo curtain. If you really have to ask about or complain about this element of the film, :whistling:
you indeed need to Google the Phrase "Red Power" and study the history of East Asia going back no more than 45years should do it....
:w00t: :astro:
[sigpic]http://www.astroboy-online.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=200&dateline=1323970671[/sigpic]Safe :ninja:

munquibyte
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby munquibyte » 14 years ago

"jayrath" wrote:I thought Toby was annoying. And I did not like that Astro's naivete was lost. Part of the fun early on in the 1980s show was that he was a complete innocent, having to learn everything for the first time.

He's also more Astroteen in the movie. And it's great that his dad took him back, but now what about Astro's robot family?
I didn't like him older either. The nine year old model would have worked fine. I always thought of Toby as a slightly spoiled, alienated, but empathetic kid, not some cocky honor student who just shrugs off the fact that Dad yanked him out of school. (What, he doesn't have any freinds?)
I'm torn on Astro having Toby's memories. It diminishes Astro's charming naivitee', but it also justifies Tenma's delusion that he can just hit the 'restart' button.

I really did not like to Robot Liberation Front -- it was a nearly direct lift from Monty Python's "Life of Brian."

Oh -- and no Skunk! :)
Yeah, it was important to bring up the Robot Law politik, but it should have been with something more potent, and it wouldn't require something as full blown as Blue Knight, just something to suggest that the sentient machines really do want a better life.

And Skunk would have wooped Stone's keister into next week. :)

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Dragonrider1227 » 14 years ago

"munquibyte" wrote: I always thought of Toby as a slightly spoiled, alienated, but empathetic kid, not some cocky honor student who just shrugs off the fact that Dad yanked him out of school. (What, he doesn't have any freinds?)

Considering as he left the class, a kid nearly threw a book at him, I get the feeling his brilliance made him an outcast and not very popular
"munquibyte" wrote:I'm torn on Astro having Toby's memories. It diminishes Astro's charming naivitee', but it also justifies Tenma's delusion that he can just hit the 'restart' button.

An interesting point but I felt giving Astro Toby's memories boosted the identity problem. He has Toby's memories, but isn't Toby. I found it to be an interesting approach.

"munquibyte" wrote:Yeah, it was important to bring up the Robot Law politik, but it should have been with something more potent, and it wouldn't require something as full blown as Blue Knight, just something to suggest that the sentient machines really do want a better life.

To add that would've given the audience too much on their plate at once. This is more meant to be about Astro and his struggle. Not the struggle of the other robots. That sounds more like Sequel material to me.
"munquibyte" wrote:And Skunk would have wooped Stone's keister into next week. :)

I can't argue with that one :lol: I'd totally pay to see that fight
Last edited by Dragonrider1227 on Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

munquibyte
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby munquibyte » 14 years ago

"Dragonrider1227" wrote:[QUOTE=munquibyte;93037]Yeah, it was important to bring up the Robot Law politik, but it should have been with something more potent, and it wouldn't require something as full blown as Blue Knight, just something to suggest that the sentient machines really do want a better life.

To add that would've given the audience too much on their plate at once. This is more meant to be about Astro and his struggle. Not the struggle of the other robots. That sounds more like Sequel material to me. [/QUOTE] Not rilly, no huge elaboration would be necessary, just establish that sentient machines are second class citizens are ther are those in that camp who'd like to change that. It certainly would have eaten up less screen time than the RRF. Heck, Tezuka pulled it off in the first episode.

NekoChika
Kokoro Robot

Postby NekoChika » 14 years ago

I absolutely loved the movie ^__^ I thought it was very well done, the message was great, and the animation was awesome. but I kept picturing Cage when Tenma was speaking and kept laughing... ^^;

Anyway, I thought they added a lot of really good emotion into the story, and it wasn't just a 3D remake of the old series. And I liked how Toby died, because I feel like it gave Tenma a more believable guilt trip, and it was something different than past shows. It also simultaneously introduced the Peace Maker and showed its power, foreshadowed the ending, and set the movie into motion.

I dunno about the whole politics things, though (i'm only 15 and don't care much about that yet) but it didn't bother anyone who I saw seeing it with. I thought the "not time for change" part was something about Obama though...to show how much of a dystopia Metro City was, like as a contrast to the US...? Heheh, I guess I'm not good at looking at those kinda messages XD

There were some things that could have been better, but I thought it was a great film. And didn't they have a very short amount of time to finish it, too? Now THAT'S impressive! ^__^

Big Astro Fan
Robot President

Postby Big Astro Fan » 14 years ago

I thought the part where the Peacekeeper crashed through the wall and then tapped the microphone and asked "Is this thing on?" was funny. lol

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”