Talk about all things Astro Boy!
drakeshe
Rocket Ball Champion

OMG OMG OMG

Postby drakeshe » 14 years ago

Read and weep!
Astroboy the Sequal in discussion!
Click Here to read full article

Imagi must be pleased with the response their $65 million, star-studded Astro Boy feature film is getting in Japan--they're already talking about a sequel. Set for stateside release on October 23, the new film is an update of Osamu Tesuka's popular manga and animated series about a robot boy who battles the forces of evil. The Hollywood Reporter goes into some specifics of Imagi's business model, wherein they hire former Disney and Dreamworks animators to conceptualize the story, then send the film to China for animation. It's all part of a deal with Chinese investors that helped stabilize Imagi after the lukewarm response to their debut film, 2007's TMNT.

Now that Imagi is facing a more secure financial future, they're in a good position to become a major player in the animation scene. They'll follow up Astro Boy with another beloved anime adaptation, a 3-D version of Gatchaman (aka Battle of the Planets aka G-Force. No relation to the Bruckheimer gerbil movie.) Imagi's currently seeking a project with a Chinese setting (that worked out great for Kung Fu Panda) to follow up Gatchaman. They're committed to releasing one film a year in the Astro Boy price range, and THR seems certain that Astro Boy 2 will be one of these upcoming features.

Astro Boy faces some stiff competition when it opens. It's up against The Nightmare Before Christmas 3D and The Vampire's Assistant for the kid crowd that weekend (and that's not even taking Toy Story and Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs, both of which are still playing well, into consideration). I hope word from the Japanese premiere holds true, and Astro Boy is a fun and faithful tribute to Tesuka's classic creation, and not just another nostalgia cash-in.
Last edited by drakeshe on Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:56 am, edited 5 times in total.
New Astroboy Forum Design - Preview

Add me on MSN: drakeshe[at]hotmail.com

cybotron
Robot Revolutionary

Postby cybotron » 14 years ago

:w00t: :lol: :p :ninja: :tenma:
[sigpic]http://www.astroboy-online.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=200&dateline=1323970671[/sigpic]Safe :ninja:

drakeshe
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby drakeshe » 14 years ago

Excited?
New Astroboy Forum Design - Preview

Add me on MSN: drakeshe[at]hotmail.com

cybotron
Robot Revolutionary

"drakeshe" wrote:Excited?

OOOOOHHHHH yeah!!!! :w00t: :astro:
[sigpic]http://www.astroboy-online.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=200&dateline=1323970671[/sigpic]Safe :ninja:

Meeshell
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Meeshell » 14 years ago

OMG they better include Uran or I LOSE ALL RESPECT

Wolf
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Wolf » 14 years ago

Sorry to rain on your parade but the article was dated before the Astro Boy release and based on the numbers it produced at the box office this past weekend, the chances of a sequel getting made seems unlikely. Its really disappointing but this is the reality of it.

cybotron
Robot Revolutionary

"Wolf" wrote:Sorry to rain on your parade but the article was dated before the Astro Boy release and based on the numbers it produced at the box office this past weekend, the chances of a sequel getting made seems unlikely. Its really disappointing but this is the reality of it.

wrong....
There are a great many people would kill to get a #6 on the hollywood movie chart.
And the plan to make a sequel was made before the US open box office... :D :w00t: :astro: :ninja:

Wolf
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Wolf » 14 years ago

Let me first say that I'm the biggest supporter of Astro Boy but even I have to acknowledge 6th place isn't good, as much as I hate to admit it. What really frustrate me the most is that its way better than other animated films that undeserving earn much more than it. Whats wrong with these people!?

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Dragonrider1227 » 14 years ago

I've seen worse performing movies get sequels. (Fantastic 4, Hulk, Baby Genius') Like I said before, DRAGONBALL is getting a sequel. So anything is possible

Soul Rokkuman
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Soul Rokkuman » 14 years ago

The sequal was too obvious to coming out.............!!!!

LOL. :heart:

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”