World wide gross?

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
dannavy85
Banned

Postby dannavy85 » 14 years ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73d4sQfzWXc

The 2009 SD Comic con trailer. We'll see how and where they take the movie.

BBally
Metro City Citizen

Postby BBally » 14 years ago

Why hasn't any site posted the movie's foreign box office numbers yet?
Badre El Amir Bally

sgupta
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby sgupta » 14 years ago

I dunno - showing blank for worldwide still. I'm guessing the numbers just aren't in yet.

For the US, we're currently up to $12,210,677.00.

sgupta
Rocket Ball Champion

I did find this:

http://www.variety.com/index.asp?layout=dept_main&dept=international

If you scroll down to the little tab thing and click the HKG, tab, it'll show you China's numbers, which are reading, for the week of October 29th to November 4th, Astro Boy in 7th place with a gross (these numbers *in millions*) of $64,048 and a total of $340,753.

I'm assuming this can't possibly be millions US, so:

$340,753,000 Chinese Yuan Renmibi = $49,908,166.55 USD

If I'm calculating right (can anybody verify?), with the $12,484,701.00 estimated US (went up since yesterday), that brings our total to:

$62,392,867.55 for US + China combined so far.

Which isn't bad - they're close to breaking even as I've read the budget was $65,000,000.00.

If you think about it, that's not counting Europe or Japan or Australia or anywhere else, nor is it counting money earned since the 4th in China, and if you figure DVD/Blu-Ray/game and merchandise sales, etc., it may do well enough to merit a sequel. Let's hope. I don't know how profitable a film realistically has to be for a studio to want to do a sequel badly enough.

sgupta
Rocket Ball Champion

We're up to over $15,000,000.00 domestic so far - still no new International numbers.

dannavy85
Banned

They easily made back their bank from the looks of it.

Fauna
Beyond the Stars

Postby Fauna » 14 years ago

We've risen $3M in five days? Well, there are still people going to the movie - albeit slowly - so there's always hope that it'll rise.

It's really frustrating that America's numbers are the only ones getting any notice from the critics...it did perfectly well here and all over Asia, so what's going on? America isn't the one deciding force in the world.
ImageImageImageImage
Dr. Tenma lover and aficionado since 2006!
Now featuring the Sad Old Dad Squad (The S.O.D.S.)

dannavy85
Banned

America isn't the one deciding force in the world.

It is when you're selling stupid vampire movies, slasher fics and other brainless matter Hollywood can dream up. I'm sick of all the Twilight mania, the only way I'll ever visit Forks Washington now is if the town is obliterated by a tornado.

Besides Astro, Planet 51 will be a wonderful reprieve from the lameness of tinsletown antics.

sgupta
Rocket Ball Champion

I'm making my mom go (my second time; her first) this afternoon! ;)

I know around here it's out of theaters at the end of this week.

LOL. I thought I was the only one who didn't like Twilight (no offense to anyone who did). I kept hearing how awesomely amazing Twilight was, so eventually I rented the first one, and I was completely underwhelmed. It just didn't seem like there was anything overly new or fun about it, and I like vampire movies, but prefer some of the classic fun ones (The Lost Boys for example).

It's just sad when Saw VI is doing better than most everything else. And I saw and thought the first Saw was decent as I can occasionally enjoy a good thriller/slasher with the rest of 'em, but really? VI?? America (both TV and movies) seems to be losing its sense of good storytelling and becoming all action and gore based with no soul, heart, or real story. That's why I was pleased with Astro Boy - in my opinion, it *had* all these aspects in spade and did quite well with them (to my great surprise as I was quite afraid they'd be sorely lacking).

Just my opinion of course, but I'm finding more and more most of what I watch and really enjoy either is from the BBC or Japan... Not all, but an increasing share...

At any rate, it sounds like they've made their money back and hopefully will make some profit, especially come DVD/Blu-Ray time. ^.^

astro_mcfly
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby astro_mcfly » 14 years ago

"Dragonrider1227" wrote:I also know even though Cars didn't perform as well as they wanted in Theaters, it's getting a sequel due to it's merchandise sales.
SO EVERYONE BUY LOTS OF ASTRO BOY CRAP! XD

I TOLD YOU THAT! hahaha :blush: and it is true, it was Pixar's lowest grossing film, but because of merchandise sales and the like, I suppose Disney kicked Pixar to get them to start milking the cash cow.
And since my dad was in town this past sunday, we both saw the Astro Boy movie... Much to my surprise, the theater was more than half full!

[EDIT] Proud to say I'm a female youth of the US who has not fallen victim to twilight! also, I heard that as much as other movies may be making at the moment, that the box office overall is doing poorly. [/EDIT]
Last edited by astro_mcfly on Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”