Movie script changes?

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
dannavy85
Banned

Movie script changes?

Postby dannavy85 » 14 years ago

Are there any changes to the movie script that you might have wanted to propose to Imagi?

I would probably have handled Tobi finding out he was a robot with a little hillarity. Tenma comes home from work and when he can't find Tobi he asks the servant bot where he went to.

"Well Sir...he...he was playing all day outside and...well he got a little dirty so....."

Tenma's eyes bug out. "You didn't? He's not in..."

Suddenly there's a crashing sound. Tenma runs upstairs and into the bathroom where a geizer of water is spewing out of the tub and Tobi is all wrapped up on the floor in torn shower curtains.

"Tobi?" Tenma calls him. "Are you ok?"

Tobi pops up from the curtains with a look of horror on his face. "Dad! Dad! What's wrong with me?! I knew I didn't feel right!"

Tenma holds Tobi by his arms. "What are you talking about? You're fine, everything's ok."

Tobi sits up and gestures to his legs. "Fine?! I'm missing something important and that's fine?!"

Tobi stands up. "My underwear won't come off! At first I thought it was one of your crazy inventions or maybe you're playing a joke on me but...Dad?! I'm confused! Something happened to me!"

Tobi hangs onto Tenma as he walks backwards. "Dad please, tell me what's wrong with me! I'm scared dad...."

Flashback to the test room....

"Dad! Get me out of here! I'm scared Dad!"

Tenma bangs on the glass. "Be calm Son! I'll get you out!"

"Dad!"

A flash of light and Tenma is back with Tobi hanging on him.

"Dad....dad?!"

Tenma closes his eyes. "Go to your room Tobi."

"But Dad!"

Tenma slaps Tobi across the face. "I SAID GO TO YOUR ROOM NOW!"

TOBI runs to his room as Tenma stumbles downstairs and grabs his cell phone to call Elifun...

Tenma: Albert?...I need you over at my house as soon as you can get here.

Elifun: Bill? Bill what is it?"

Tenma: I've made a horrific mistake Albert...A terrible mistake...I need your help.

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Dragonrider1227 » 14 years ago

The underwear is a funny concept. I actually thought the same thing but with his boots XD

drakeshe
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby drakeshe » 14 years ago

There was a Bathroom scene in the movie?
New Astroboy Forum Design - Preview

Add me on MSN: drakeshe[at]hotmail.com

sgupta
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby sgupta » 14 years ago

General *SPOILERS* in this post if you haven't seen the movie yet!
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
I loved this movie and it was the perfect summer fun for me and got me to fall in love with Astro Boy altogether! It's the reason I'm here! That said, if I were director of the movie, here's the changes I would have personally made (and while some of them seem nitpicky, well, these are just what I would do - I love the movie as is but I think we can all think of things we'd do a bit differently):

* The biggest change would have been Toby's death. I think the movie did okay, but it was too quick and neat. I realize this is a movie meant to be accessible to children, and frankly I'm impressed they still had the death at all - I can see a lot of directors shying away from it or just having Astro being built and no real child involved at all. Anyways, in my version, I wouldn't have gone too over the top morbid/bloody, but I probably would have gone a bit crueler, possibly the original car accident scenario. Then a flash and Tenma could have been holding his hand and grieving as he slipped away at the hospital all bandaged up (no blood necessary). I think this would have been much more visceral and painful. This would also have made the memory transfer a bit more believable.

* I've noticed in the anime Astro Boys I've watched so far he has a "machine heart" instead of the receptical where the blue energy went in the movie. I think they perhaps felt this might be too over the top, but I would have probably incorporated a subtle nod. (IE, a visible semi-heart-shaped circuit on the inner side of his access panel door - something you'd have to look for a bit but visible in a few scenes). I might have also switched red and blue energy in the movie (that way, it would still be a red heart even though it's a ball). And red works for passion and heart (kokoro), while blue can work for coldness.

* I would have fleshed out Cora's storyline a bit more with some more drama along the way - I felt it was a bit rushed, especially at the end when it resolved in literally 2 seconds.

* I would have reworked the villain to be a bit less obvious. I'm not sure exactly how, yet, and he did work okay for me, but I felt he was slightly overly political (even though for the most part I agree with those politics) and they could have made him a bit more evil and subtle than they did. (Though I thought the Peacekeeper was awesome).

* This one will probably be hated by most here, but I actually think the "Let's Rocket!" is cute and might have included one of those in the movie. Don't hit me!

* I would have incorporated the original Astro Boy theme, at the very least in the end credits. And probably some sort of easter egg in the credits also since I always enjoy those. Maybe some black and white 60's Astro moments. Just a few thoughts. =)
Last edited by sgupta on Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ninjatron
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Ninjatron » 14 years ago

The main thing I would have done differently would have been the random bit at the end.

The alien invasion happening when it does just felt like a bit much. Like I said in my review of the film, perhaps the film could jumped to an in-session press conference happening a few days later, featuring new president Logan talking about what the future holds for the now-grounded Metro City, acknowledging Astro for saving the day, and ushering in a new era for robot civil rights. Then the alien shows up. It would have just given some space and let the audience breath a bit.

Sayonara.
Image Image
Image Image

Soul Rokkuman
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Soul Rokkuman » 14 years ago

The only thing I can say is: sgupta, we think the same way.

=/

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”