What made you become a fan of Astro Boy?

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Dragonrider1227 » 14 years ago

"astro_mcfly" wrote:I became a fan when I was 13, while doing a search for books in my English class. Well, not THAT sudden, but I found an Astro Boy manga online, then went to buy it later that week. Read the beginning of it while standing up inside Borders, I got hooked. A week or so later, I ended up buying the next three. Sadly, after that, the manga went out of print (BOO. >:[ ) later on, I started watching the 2003 series online in Japanese. I guess things just went from there.

They got 'em pretty cheap at Amazon ;)

AprilSeven
Silent Song

It was a cold, dark winter night, in January of 1964...

Postby AprilSeven » 14 years ago

...my mother was at the hospital, delivering my youngest brother. My other brother and I were watching Channel 5 -- and saw the very first episode -- we were mesmerized!!!!!

At the first commercial break we were smashing a couple of Paul's toy cars into the fireplace hearth crying "It's the year 2000, and Astor Boynton's driving at supersonic speeds! Nothing can go wrong -- or CAN it??" [[EEEEK!! CRASH!!]]

The babysitter thought it was a riot.

Then we started imitating Astro Boy destroying things because he didn't know his own strength -- "Whoops!" "Whoops!" and THEN they showed how he could FLY!! Oh, that was it . . .we were hooked. When Dad came home to tell us we had a little brother -- all we could do was talk about ASTRO BOY. :astro: It was like the perfect storm of animation, adrenaline and fairy tale.
Image Sig artwork by Alittleacorn!

kelzianna
Kokoro Robot

Postby kelzianna » 14 years ago

The movie made me luv him! Then after that I watched the episodes and then I turned into an Astro Boy fan girl for life. Booya :astro: :rolleyes:

diehard67
On a Flight into Space

Postby diehard67 » 14 years ago

ok long story

I saw some of the 80s canadian verson when I was too yung to remember more then fragments now.
reasintly I saw an ad for the movie that revived the bits that were still intact, peacked me curosity so I had to see the movie. after that my vertualy insashable curiosity took over and I went googling, fount the 90s sieries on youtube wached them inside a week and was hooked.

LLM
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby LLM » 14 years ago

I saw it once on Adult Swim, then started watching what they had on there web sight. Did not do much after that but then I saw the movie and got hooked. Found the older versions on You Tube and I found this forum. I am happy I did.
My Astro Boy paper dolls, happily under my monitor.

Beyond the Stars

Postby avatargirl » 14 years ago

First time i seen ASTRO BOY flying on tv at my grandparent's home- i fell in love with him- i even have a screen name based on the series

karl0s
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby karl0s » 14 years ago

I first saw a couple of the 2003 series episodes here in Austraila a few years ago and loved it. I wasn't really obsessed until i saw the movie and was inspired to watch more of the old tv episodes, but now i'm obsessed.

[half way to being a senior member :) ]
Sig and avatar thanks to Alittleacorn :lol:

The Tawashi Bus Hat
Robot President

Postby The Tawashi Bus Hat » 14 years ago

My dad taped the b/w series while he was in Japan and would send them to us (they were in English with Japanese subs - go figure). When he was done with his service in the Air Force, he found some VHS tapes of the 80s series and bought them for us. He's still got them, but I don't think they are in good condition, considering how much we watched them, lawls.

Ahh, good memories...(I feel old...)
*dust*

TasZero
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby TasZero » 14 years ago

Love April's story.

My own story is much less interesting. Basically, I used to watch a lot of tv during the afternoon cartoons, one day in 2004 Astro happened to air and so I watched it. It became one of my favorite shows. Sadly, since it stopped airing that was it. I tried to watch reruns but they were on tv at 6 in the morning, before I would wake up. I eventually remember it sometime in 09 so I downloaded the 03 series which was a trick I only recently learned. I then proceeded to finally watch it many times, including the second 25 episodes which I had never seen.

Eventually I managed to buy them on dvd, and see the 80's series. Then I came on here.

You guys make me feel so young, I still haven't seen the 60's series and my parents weren't even born then. Guess that simply means little old Astro has stood the test of time. There aren't many others like that out there.
Lets back it up nice and slow now...

AprilSeven
Silent Song

Postby AprilSeven » 14 years ago

Isn't it interesting -- despite how much the movie was panned -- the number of people who are now "hooked" BECAUSE of the movie!! :-)
Image Sig artwork by Alittleacorn!

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”