What made you become a fan of Astro Boy?

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Ysabella_15
Metro City Citizen

Postby Ysabella_15 » 14 years ago

:w00t: :heart: :w00t:

Anime Girl
On a Flight into Space

Postby Anime Girl » 14 years ago

"Anime Girl 14" wrote:How did I become a fan of Astro Boy? Well it all started back when I was, oh my God, I think I was about six. Anyways, I was minding my own buisness one day, watching something on Nickelodian, munching on an apple, (I remember because I almost ate a worm that was inside it, EWWW!), when Daddy, all of the sudden, put in a cassette in the VCR. I wanted to tell him that I wanted to finish my show, but earlier that day, he told me that he would like to watch something he wants too once in a while, and that he always has to work, and blah, blah, blah, boring, boring, boring stuff that kids are tired of hearing thier parents complane about. Anyways, at first I wasn't sure to leave the room or not, in case he was watching something not for kids, but Dad didn't shoo me out or nothing, so I stayed in the living room with him. Then finally, after the endless previews that are always on VHS tapes, I saw something that grabbed my attention. It was a little flying superhero kid, with spikey hair, and red boot with jets in them. I listened to the catchy, 80's style, theme song, singing about a kid named Astro Boy. I instantly got curious to see what this show was about. I remember I was so saddened at how poor Toby got killed in a car crash. This was the first time that I saw a death on a kid's show. Daddy held my hand, and told me that Toby went to heaven. Then I saw Dr. Tenma (at the time I only knew him as Dr. Boyten), put together this robot, but he looked like a little boy only a couple of years older than me. All at once I knew that, even though he was at first called Toby, that he was truley the one named Astro Boy. I giggled at how Toby was learning to talk and walk and everything. He was just too cute. I was a bit scared when his eyes started blinking. Then I was amazed when he saved all of those people from the malfuntioning army tank or whatever it was. Then I got so sad when Dr. Tenma disowned Toby after a few mistakes at the cruiseship. I was also ticked off at Tenma, because for that reason, he was a bad father. I also felt a bit of suspetion when HamEgg wanted Toby to perform at the Robot Circus because, (1) My parents always said never go anywhere with strangers, and (2) After watching a whole bunch of cartoons, I was able to spot a greedy money maker, the way a cat spots a mouse in a field. Then at the end when Toby was being stuffed in a crate, and Tenma was calling him, I realized that maybe he didn't mean to say that to Toby, and that he wanted him back. Maybe he's not that much of a bad guy after all, I thought. Then the show ended with Toby calling his Dad, but then he ran out of energy and fell asleep, never to see his Dad again. The show was so emotional, and tear-jerking, and sometimes even a bit funny, and I could never forget about it. And one thing was for sure, I definatley wanted to see what happened next. The funny thing is that I had no idea, untill about last year, that the first episode of the 80's series, was really the fisrt two Japanese episodes pieced together. But since that day, I had always loved Astro Boy, and I have watched all three anime series, currently reading the manga series (so far I'm, on book 14), and I was so excited to see the movie. Last year I was reading the pamplet that came with the 80's series box set, and after reading about Osamu Tezuka, and all his other works, I got interested in watching a great deal of his animes, and reading his mangas. But the 80's Astro Boy series will always be in a special place in my heart. I guess some things never change! LOL! I have always thought that Astro Boy was so brave, and so cool, and of course, very cute! Another reason I liked it was because his little sis Uran, always remined me of my little sister, who is a cute tomboy. And the episode when Astro had trouble fitting in at his school, in a way, I could always relate to that. I always had trouble fitting in, due to my tall hight, and my obsession with cartoons. To me, Astro Boy is almost like a really good friend.

Oh my god! I have the longest post of anybody in this forum! LOL! :lol:
You're not a joke, you fit right in!
So shake it off, and give a grin. Don't be afraid to stand your ground! Crazy, noisy BIZARRE Town!

alexcat
Metro City Citizen

Postby alexcat » 14 years ago

The first story of the first volume of original Astro Boy Manga. It was amazing and being an artist, the art inspired me as well. From then on I researched Tezuka and began to watch and love his works!
Check out my comics:
http://www.drunkduck.com/user/alexcat321/

here's my deviant art: http://alexcat321.deviantart.com/ add me!

Beyond the Stars

Postby avatargirl » 14 years ago

Thanks- love your reason for becoming a fan Anime Girl 14- what you wrote was so sweet and also serious too

Anime Girl
On a Flight into Space

"avatargirl" wrote:Thanks- love your reason for becoming a fan Anime Girl 14- what you wrote was so sweet and also serious too

Thank you. It was kinda like I was telling a story, wasn't it?
So shake it off, and give a grin. Don't be afraid to stand your ground! Crazy, noisy BIZARRE Town!

Bakabits
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Bakabits » 14 years ago

well my story for liking astro boy is a weird one. Last year i saw several times on tv the trailer for the astro boy movie. I thought every time i saw it "i heard that name before" but i could never remember where. One day in October last year my dad was putting netflix on the xbox 360. he then called me down to check it out. there was something that caught my eye on the netflix movie list. A cute kid with horns on a red box cover. I then said out loud "Thats the robot from the movie!" then i realized it was an anime not the movie. i watched it anyway but then realized somthing. it was the 1980s astro boy! The one i watched when i was 2 or 3 years old! the one i remembered watching a while ago. i ended up watching the whole thing through christmas eve. it was a sad show. :( For christmas i got the complete astro boy 2003 box set on dvd. I then finished that. recently i got the movie and watched that. 3 down 1 to go. i am now trying to get the astro boy 1960s series on dvd. Thats my journey into the astro boy world.
Now active on MyAnimeList

Anime Girl
On a Flight into Space

"sonicx137" wrote:well my story for liking astro boy is a weird one. Last year i saw several times on tv the trailer for the astro boy movie. I thought every time i saw it "i heard that name before" but i could never remember where. One day in October last year my dad was putting netflix on the xbox 360. he then called me down to check it out. there was something that caught my eye on the netflix movie list. A cute kid with horns on a red box cover. I then said out loud "Thats the robot from the movie!" then i realized it was an anime not the movie. i watched it anyway but then realized somthing. it was the 1980s astro boy! The one i watched when i was 2 or 3 years old! the one i remembered watching a while ago. i ended up watching the whole thing through christmas eve. it was a sad show. :( For christmas i got the complete astro boy 2003 box set on dvd. I then finished that. recently i got the movie and watched that. 3 down 1 to go. i am now trying to get the astro boy 1960s series on dvd. Thats my journey into the astro boy world.

Don't forget about the mangas.

Bakabits
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Bakabits » 14 years ago

i look all over for mangas cant find. thx for suggestion
Now active on MyAnimeList

Ysabella_15
Metro City Citizen

Postby Ysabella_15 » 14 years ago

the mangas are more original
[sigpic][/sigpic] The Imagination: Our Best Weapon! :w00t:

Anime Girl
On a Flight into Space

"sonicx137" wrote:i look all over for mangas cant find. thx for suggestion

Are you serious? I found them simply on good old amazon.com.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”