The epic quest for fansubs

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
sgupta
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby sgupta » 14 years ago

Well there are still anime series been released on DVD in the USA, which are been spread over several volumes, with similar pricing per volume. The English DVD release doesn't make a good comparison, considering how much was changed in the English version.

While this is true, the key here is that these USA incremental releases are generally high quality releases in my region with either dubs or subtitles or both. Hypothetically speaking, if they released these volumes in the US with full audio/video options, the extras, etc., I would have gone this route over time (or gotten the complete box sets if there were some and I could afford it) as, while at a high cost, it would be worth it to me as it would be a true quality release.

What I'm arguing is that I can't justify paying that amount for the Japanese version that is not in my region, that doesn't have any official English language options, and that can't be used on my standalone DVD player and must be played on my computer with a subtitle file. I already own the US release, and as stated, would certainly be willing to pay, even over time, for a proper English release should they ever rerelease the series. (And yes, I'd probably still do this even with a good fansub for an official copy and to support the company/producers).

In regards to you asking how I'd like to view it, maybe it's old school, but I seldom ever watch ANYTHING on my computer - it's just not the same and I can't really enjoy it. I either watch on DVD or transfer it to a TiVo that can handle media, but for me, the TV's the only way to go, and I'd suspect I'm not the only one. I don't think my DVD player supports external subtitle files, but I'm not positive of that as I've never had the opportunity to try it.

The Japanese DVDs are still a way to support the producers, if you watch the uncut episodes via fansubs too.

No argument there - I just argue the necessity of this if you've supported the US release and would be willing to support a better rerelease if it came to be.

AstroRex
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby AstroRex » 14 years ago

I would like to thank sgupta again for uploading the video files to my web host and for making these files available to the members of this forum.

I regret to inform all of you, however, that my web host has contacted me by email and has informed me that these files are a violation of my terms of service, and that they need to be deleted.

I hope everyone has had the opportunity to download these files by now.

I will need to delete the files from the server in order to comply with my web host.

Thanks.
[sigpic][/sigpic]I was MADE ready!

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Dragonrider1227 » 14 years ago

Aww, that sucks. Someone here has an FTP server full of Astro Boy stuff. I unfortunately can't remember his/her username. Maybe someone else here does. Maybe you can contact him/her

sgupta
Rocket Ball Champion

Yikes - well certainly sorry for any issues caused, AstroRex - I hope with them gone everything's okay.

fafner
Cosmic Ranger

Postby fafner » 14 years ago

It's Anapan's FTP server: ftp://ast:ast@atomu.ath.cx:6872
However personnally I would contact him/her before uploading a lot of data.
The real sign that someone has become a fanatic is that he completely loses his sense of humor about some important facet of his life. When humor goes, it means he's lost his perspective.

Wedge Antilles
Star Wars - Exile

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Dragonrider1227 » 14 years ago

Yeah, that's the one. I agree. You should contact him/her before hand

sgupta
Rocket Ball Champion

Rightright - I'd never just upload something without checking. It's quite a lot of space and I'm thinking about what's the best way is moving forward with these.

sgupta
Rocket Ball Champion

On another note, Bad Username, any word on how things are going with the fansub project?

AstroRex
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby AstroRex » 14 years ago

Well, the good news is that the web host was very nice about it and let me off with just a warning, since I complied right away and removed the videos from the server. They replied and confirmed that the website was in compliance again. I've been with them for five years, so they didn't just want to lose me as a customer, either. You have to see it both ways.

I have also been using a website called http://www.ofile.com for storing files. Now, they even have a folder for video files. They can set up an account for 2 months for free and provide 10GB of storage space, so you might want to check them out!

Oops! My bad. The free plan is only for 3GB, but the paid plan is 10GB for about $19.95. Maybe a good deal?
[sigpic][/sigpic]I was MADE ready!

diehard67
On a Flight into Space

Postby diehard67 » 14 years ago

how big is this file, and how much smaller does it get when you compress it (zip or bz2), if it is not ridicules I may be able to host the file on my own server

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”