The epic quest for fansubs

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Toshio
Banned

Postby Toshio » 11 years ago

I noticed the american version lacked a lot of information and edited out the storyline.
The story of Atlas was pretty edited and unfortunatelly the brasilian version which I watched followed the american edits which is pretty bad.
I'm still looking for subbed episodes.

Prettywitchiusaka
Robot President

Postby Prettywitchiusaka » 11 years ago

Yeah, I noticed that too. The one that always confuses me is, why did they feel the need to drop the fact that Astro and Atlas were the same in this version?

By having Astro and Atlas created from the death of two dead children, it ties a connection between the two of them. It also ties in a great connection between Tenma and Tokugawa, and really brings into question whether or not robots (even robots with kokoro) are self aware, or are simply following their programming.

Toshio
Banned

Postby Toshio » 11 years ago

Daichi was 18 years old when he died and as I can see, Dr. Tenma used a device to pass Daichi's mind to the robotic body. The american version was pretending that Daichi was a robot from the very start. But, I felt they were tricking the viewer with lies due their policy of not mentioning or showing scenes in adapted animes.
I haven't saw Tobio's death, but it feels shocking.
Anyway, it's still something which we have the right to see.

Prettywitchiusaka
Robot President

Postby Prettywitchiusaka » 11 years ago

Yeah, I know what you mean.

Actually, removing Tobio's death bothers me. I'll talk about this more when I get to talk about the finale in my review, but it really takes something away from Tenma's character. I mean sure, you get that he feels guilty for what happened to his son, but unless you actually see that scene from Tenma's perspective, you really don't understand just how guilty he feels.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”