The epic quest for fansubs

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
animegirlalways
Metro City Citizen

Postby animegirlalways » 14 years ago

Well, I went ahead and got Nero 9 and installed it on my laptop versus the destop that I was using, in case its something wrong with the old computer not Nero.
I burned episodes 1-4 onto a DVD and so far everthing seems fine. :D
I paused a scene on my TV and was going to pause in the same place on my laptop to make sure I didn't lose the widescreen and discovered that, even though they play fine on Windows Media Player on the old destop (Windows XP), I get audio with no picture on my laptop (Windows Vista) for some reason no matter what program I use. :d oh:
The other AVI fansubs on my laptop play fine though. I don't know why I seem to be having issues with these files. :(
I tried downloading the newest K-lite Codec, but that didn'y seem to fix it. Any ideas what might be going on?
Sorry for all the trouble I seem to be and thank you very much for all your help! :blush: :heart:
:astro:

sgupta
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby sgupta » 14 years ago

animegirlalways, first off, glad you're finally able to burn eps okay. ^.^

Re the laptop problem, that definitely sounds like a codec issue. If you're not completely set on using Windows Media Player, there's a great free player called VLC at http://www.videolan.org/vlc/ that should play those AVI's (and just about anything else you throw at it) just fine (without modifying other codecs on the computer).

It's strange as these should be pretty highly compatible DivX media files. If you do want to get Windows Media Player working for them, you could try the DivX codec from DivX.com. Personally, I use the CCCP codec pack at http://www.cccp-project.net/ but I don't see why k-lite shouldn't work. Hrmmm strange (on Vista here so it shouldn't be a Vista-specific issue).

We're slowly but surely making progress here I think...maybe. lol.

animegirlalways
Metro City Citizen

*Update*
Found a free download for a VLC media player (from the below link) in hopes that would work and this program does! :w00t:
http://files.uberdownloads.com/software/video-player/VLC.html

I am still not sure why Windows Media Player on my old computer plays them with K-lite codec, but my laptop wont (even though it play other AVI fanfubs fine). Yet it plays fine on my laptop with this VLC program I downloaded. :confused:

*Update 2*
It looks like the VLC I found and downloaded is the same one you provided just from a different website. :)
I tried uninstalling K-lite and installing CCCP, but still no picture only audio with any other program besides the VLC, and plays other AVIs fine. I am going to try the DivX free download next and if that doesn't work then I will just be thankful the VLC works and use that. :)
I checked and it appears I didn't lose the widescreen! :D

*Final Update*
I uninstalled the CCCP and installed the DivX.com free download and it worked! :w00t:
I can play these files, as well as the other AVIs, fine now on the Windows programs, the VLC, and the DivX player. :)
I have no idea why this one allows these files to play properly but none of the others would, but all that really matters I guess is that it fixed whatever the problem was. :D
Thank you again sooo very much for all your help!!! :heart:
Now I can enjoy watching the rest of the DVD I burned. I pray nothing turns out to be wrong with anything on it partly because it took 3 hours (twice as long as most projects I did with Nero 6 on the old destop) to burn on my laptop, which may just be Nero 9 versus my laptop.
Last edited by animegirlalways on Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:33 am, edited 7 times in total.

sgupta
Rocket Ball Champion

I'm not sure either as it should just be DivX but glad you found something that works. VLC can generally handle most anything. [In fact, I just now found out it can play ISO files directly without burning them to disc or mounting them on a ghost drive - I didn't know anything could do that!]
Last edited by sgupta on Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bad Username
Kokoro Robot

Postby Bad Username » 14 years ago

Uploaded a "final" (not really) version of Episode 01. You can find it at my project page.

This took a very long time and gave me a nasty headache. I am going to take a break before starting Episode 02, but it should be much faster now that I've learned so much about the encoding process.

sgupta
Rocket Ball Champion

Cool Bad Username - downloading via DF. I'm sure it was pretty painstaking - thanks for all your hard work on this. =) I'm sure it will go faster after the learning curve, but it's still pretty labor intensive I'm certain.

(On a sidenote, I'm on the 5th of 6 ISO's uploaded so those should be done on schedule tomorrow or at the least this weekend in case those will help more than the AVI's).

animegirlalways
Metro City Citizen

Thank you both, sgupta and Bad Username, for all the work you have been doing. :wub:
I have successfully burned and watched episodes 1-12 of the AVIs. I was so happy when they played perfectly on my DVD player and got to watch an uncut version with better translation subtitles than the import I bought. I can't wait to do the same with the rest of the AVIs. :)
I look forawrd to the ISOs when those are available. I have never done anything with that format or with dual layer DVDs, so it'll make for an interesting experience and will allow me to compare to the AVIs. :D
I also look forward to more releases of fansubbed episodes with the edited translation subtitles. :cool:
I wanted to help support your purchase of more of the episodes, but I couldn't figure out the DF, sorry. :cry:
Last edited by animegirlalways on Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

sgupta
Rocket Ball Champion

Bad Username,

Downloaded the new file and looks great! Also, you really didn't need to credit me for the subs, but thanks so much! =) It's not like I translated them or anything, but glad they helped out!

I love how you added translations for the opening/ending - awesome!

I still have to watch it in full, but great work so far! The only strange thing is, for me (on 3 different media players), the video defaults to 4:3 instead of 16:9 - I can force it to 16:9 though in most players, so it's not a problem. (I don't know how it burns as I haven't tried yet).

animegirlalways,

Glad to hear you got them burning successfully and are enjoying!

If you tell us the issue you're having with DF, I'm sure we can help - should just be a matter of clicking on the DF link, the filename, FREE Download link, and waiting for the timer (free accounts have to wait a minute or so) and clicking again to initiate the download.

Bad Username
Kokoro Robot

Postby Bad Username » 14 years ago

Yeah, the aspect ratio wouldn't encode properly with the hardsub (working on fixing this with the unholy abomination that is AviSynth scripting). I decided that forcing 16:9 with the player would be preferable to lowering the vertical resolution.

I've decided to add a PayPal donation link to my little indexing site. Yeah, I said I didn't want to, and I really don't, but I got hit with a ton of unexpected bills, and I promise to only use the proceeds for the fansub project. I'm not going to add the link until January, though. Gotta spend that money on your family and gas for when you return the presents to the store.

[EDIT]

Also, I'm going to make a .MKV version. This should be better because I can configure the aspect ratio, and have softsubs in case you want to watch it raw.
Last edited by Bad Username on Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 14 years ago

I do not know if you already know about the region 3 boxed sets from Yesasia.com. They are 7 & 6 discs respectively, & cost very little.

1:
http://www.yesasia.com/us/mighty-atom-new-dvd-part-1-to-be-continued-taiwan-version/1013958361-0-0-0-en/info.html

2:
http://www.yesasia.com/us/mighty-atom-new-dvd-part-2-end-taiwan-version/1013958377-0-0-0-en/info.html

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”