Thoughts on a new Astro cartoon

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Dr. Tenma
Kokoro Robot

Postby Dr. Tenma » 14 years ago

Haha, it's okay, that was kind of funny. For a second there I thought I had somehow missed some huge Skunk-causes-Armageddon arc or something XD

I like him too, I'm just not sure if he would be a satisfying enough main villain for an entire series. Maybe even the most occurring, but he's just not operating on a massive enough scale to cause the kind of suspense and terror a main villain needs to have. He could technically be made more sinister and given harsher motives, but not without sacrificing much of his character- and I like him the way he is. :D

MegaAstroFan75
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby MegaAstroFan75 » 14 years ago

Well as I said he's a nice break from the darker villains like Tenma. Just a typical gangster causing problems, and since his MO is using giant robots, naturally Astro's the one to fight him. Or Mega Man if he got dimensionally misplaced.

There's also some things I'd like to do with Atlas. I do prefer the 2003 version because the original version's too much like the Blue Knight. Or the other way around, but nonetheless I do like the 2003 Atlas. BUT I also like the child phase of Atlas which 2003 seemed to use Denkou for instead.

TasZero
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby TasZero » 14 years ago

Plenty of good ideas so far :) I would definately watch a new version of Astro (although all of us would)

I too don't think Skunk would make much of a main villian, he's more a single episode or small arc villian who seems to only cause trouble when he steals something that gives him an advantage and helps him to steall more things.
Tenma on the other hand makes a good villain for the long run, I enjoyed his entire character arc, and the 2003 version made nice additions to that. Shadow could have effectively replaced Tenma as the villian while Tenma eventually makes the same mistakes with Astro and eventually is captured. If 2003 had continued I could see Tenma possibly becoming an ally to Astro, and knowing the most about Astro he could open new plots and thus arcs.

So heres an idea to think about, instead of starting at the start again, what about continuing either the 03 or 80's series.
(of course we know such a thing would never happen because in order to create a sizeable fanbase for the series a production company would need to start again to draw new people in)

[post 150 :astro: ]

MegaAstroFan75
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby MegaAstroFan75 » 14 years ago

"TasZero" wrote:So heres an idea to think about, instead of starting at the start again, what about continuing either the 03 or 80's series.
(of course we know such a thing would never happen because in order to create a sizeable fanbase for the series a production company would need to start again to draw new people in)[post 150 :astro: ]

Yes it would be fun, but people are too nostalgically attached to the 80's series and too divided on the 03 series for me to want to bother with continuing them. They're good as is, so I'm gonna leave them alone. Besides for the 03 series all the voice actors will be too old to perform by the time I get to working on this, and the 80's ones will be too.

Currently I'm thinking:

Series 1 villain: Dr. Tenma

Series 2 villain: Anti-robot terrorists

And that's about all I have. There's an original villain I'd like to use, but I haven't developed him enough yet.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”