So which version do YOU like?

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Nora
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Nora » 14 years ago

Not sure. I think its between 03 and the movie. 03 for the plot actually going together for a lovely ending. The movie had a better Astro.
I'm a Literary Artist...not the Doctor!

http://shadowedinnocents.deviantart.com/

Astro boy
Kokoro Robot

Postby Astro boy » 14 years ago

The 80's series with Japanese audio and English subs represents Astro in his true form according to me.

ASTROBUDDY
Robot President

Postby ASTROBUDDY » 14 years ago

:astro: Hello, Everybody out there in "Astro Boy" land! I thought long and hard about this question and am now ready to enter my piece on this most important of discussions! My favorite version is the original American dub of the 1960s anime! While I have seen the original 1960s "TetsuWan Atomu" (in Japanese w/ sub-titles), it is its American counterpart, the one that gave him the name "Astro Boy" which made "Astro Boy" accessible to me and to the world; especially as other non-English speaking countries also translated the adventures of every one's favorite robot hero! While I like all the different versions of the "Astro Boy" mythology! Each has contributed worthwhile things to the mythos, I believe all versions have benefitted from this version! :astro: :)
Last edited by ASTROBUDDY on Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 14 years ago

"ASTROBUDDY" wrote: :astro: Hello, Everybody out there in "Astro Boy" land! I thought long and hard about this question and am now ready to enter my piece on this most important of discussions! My favorite version is the original American dub of the 1960s anime! While I have seen the original 1960s "TetsuWan Atomu" (in Japanese w/ sub-titles), it is its American counterpart, the one that gave him the name "Astro Boy" which made "Astro Boy" accessible to me and to the world; especially as other non-English speaking countries also translated the adventures of every one's favorite robot hero! While I like all the different versions of the "Astro Boy" mythology! Each has contributed worthwhile things to the mythos, I believe all versions have benefitted from this version! :astro: :)

I know of only about 5 episodes that have been subtitled. Where did you see the original series with subtitles?

Hikari Tail
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Hikari Tail » 14 years ago

I haven't seen the movie yet but if i had to choose it's the 2003 one it was the Astroboy series in my generation it will not beat the Japanese comic version but its close it manage to still be loyal to the original manga while also trying to ad new themes and designs including a beautiful soundtrack.

Second favorite is the 60's trough it does get a minus point for including the characters such as Coltbalt and 'baby Astro' :shifty: i am not a fan of them no.
Like art? like water coloring? like pointless rants ?
http://hikaritail.deviantart.com/
Visit my DA account!

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 14 years ago

What do you dislike about Cobalt and Chiitan?

Fauna
Beyond the Stars

Postby Fauna » 14 years ago

Yeah, I can't see how you could hate Cobalt. He's getting pretty well-known with the new fans right now; he even has a deviantART fan club. I think he was even my brother's favorite character a few years ago.

Although, Hikari might just have a thing against the one-continuum characters.
ImageImageImageImage
Dr. Tenma lover and aficionado since 2006!
Now featuring the Sad Old Dad Squad (The S.O.D.S.)

Hikari Tail
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Hikari Tail » 14 years ago

I don't hate fiction characters :p life's to short to hate Tezuka taught us that, even trough i am not a huge fan of Sonic the Hedgehog...but that's another rant for another day,

I just am not found of the characters , it felt like Tezuka knew Astroboy's design was drawing attention from viewers so he decided to make more characters to like him to draw more viewers! at least this felt it to me, ( there is a reason why he no longer showed up after a few generations ) i also didn't feel that Coltbat was so important in the manga version, Uran at least stands out not only is she not just a brat and the opposite of her brother but she is also a cute tomboy who can communicate with animals ! which is why i am in favor of her.

i just don't share the same feelings for Coltbalt and Baby Astro as i ( like to call him..because that's what he is! ) or the robotic parents for that mather ( i don't hate them Astro's mom is kinda cool in the manga version ) however ( and maybe my judgment is based on me preferring the 2003 version ) i really see Astro's family as Dr Oh Shay being his father, Uran his sister, there were a lot of touching moments of Astro and O'Shay in the manga version way more scenes then Astro and his Robotic father.

Trough i do admit i liked Coltbalt first appearance in the 60's i would have liked him way more if Tezuka gave him a different design,

Also what's one-continuum characters :lol: ?

Like art? like water coloring? like pointless rants ?

http://hikaritail.deviantart.com/

Visit my DA account!

Fauna
Beyond the Stars

Postby Fauna » 14 years ago

"Hikari Tail" wrote:Also what's one-continuum characters :lol: ?

Oh, it's the term for a character who only appears/is neccessary in one story mode or series (i.e. continuum). Like Ittou Asanuma in the Sailor Moon manga...there, he's Mamoru's best friend, but in the anime, you only see him for a few seconds and then never again.

Anyways! Enough Sailor Moon; back to Astro Boy.
ImageImageImageImage

Dr. Tenma lover and aficionado since 2006!

Now featuring the Sad Old Dad Squad (The S.O.D.S.)

Laughing Dragon
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Laughing Dragon » 14 years ago

"Hikari Tail" wrote:I haven't seen the movie yet but if i had to choose it's the 2003 one it was the Astroboy series in my generation it will not beat the Japanese comic version but its close it manage to still be loyal to the original manga while also trying to ad new themes and designs including a beautiful soundtrack.

Second favorite is the 60's trough it does get a minus point for including the characters such as Coltbalt and 'baby Astro' :shifty: i am not a fan of them no.

I'm not a fan of Astro's robotic "family" at all. I don't hate them, but I prefer Astro to be a singular creation, as in the movie. That way he retains his misfit status and is a more sympathetic character. I think that sympathy is needed to balance out his powers - otherwise he's just a little robot with big weapons who flies around and kicks butt, and if I were into that, I'd watch the Transformers. :shifty:

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”