Astro Boy worldwide box office update

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Laughing Dragon
Rocket Ball Champion

Astro Boy worldwide box office update

Postby Laughing Dragon » 14 years ago

So far the movie Astro Boy has taken in this amount in world-wide box-office receipts:

$29,145,834

Now, that's less than half of the movie's reported budget of 65 million. BUT there's still a lot of markets the movie hasn't yet premiered in - including Great Britian - and so there's still a chance for profitability. Let's keep our fingers crossed for a good return for Astro overseas. And we fans can do our part to encourage profitability by urging everyone we know to rent and then BUY the movie on DVD.

The movie's too GOOD to fail, dammit! It's been unjustly ignored and dissed by "professional critics" who are snobs and have no use for any film that isn't either 1. Pixar, 2. Dark and depressing (like Coraline) or 3. Just weird (Fantastic Mr. Fox). All too often, critics like quirky junk, which they mistake as being "artistic" and "intellectual", and they disdain well-made crowd-pleasers like Astro Boy. Well, OUR movie deserves to be successful. I couldn't care less about Summit (which screws up just about every movie it handles) but the gang at Imagi did a wonderful job and ought to be rewarded. Anyway, let's keep the movie bandwagon going. I admit it, I'm a major cheerleader for this movie - and 4 months after it premiered, I'm still going strong. I haven't been so passionate about an animated film in...well, ages; since I saw the Lion King as a kid, I guess. I hope you guys feel the same.

Again, thanks for letting me rant. You guys rock.
Last edited by Laughing Dragon on Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.

sgupta
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby sgupta » 14 years ago

Here's hoping DVD sales and Blu Ray sales help too! And good to hear it hasn't debuted in Great Britain yet - hopfeully it'll get some attention there. (lol. Wish I was the marketing director or the person who controls the previews in the UK. =oP I'd tack on a new extended preview trailer for Series 5 of Doctor Who on the front, and that in itself would sell some seats in Britain for sure! lol. Plus I think most Whovians would enjoy the movie. ^.^).

But yes, it's really a shame it hasn't done better, and my heart goes out to Imagi, who's amazing (enjoyed TMNT a great deal also). I was very sad to hear Imagi layed off quite a few 3D people not so long ago. And I can't even tell you how much I'm cringing all the attention that Avatar is getting right now. (I haven't seen it, and I probably eventually will, and technically it looks impressive, but...it just is sad that these crazily heavily prmoted films get all the attention ans Astro Boy is largely ignored despite all its history).

At any rate, I'm ranting too, but just wanted to know I agree with your sentiment 100% and I truly hope by the end of this the film is profitable for Imagi.

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Dragonrider1227 » 14 years ago

To say nothing of the fact that Astro Boy didn't get nominated for a Golden Globe but Cloudy with a chance of Meatballs did. CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF FREAKIN' MEATBALLS!! ><
But you know, as where the box office is concerned, Disney's Pinocchio wasn't a big box office success either and now look at it. This is going to be one of those movies that builds in it's success.

Laughing Dragon
Rocket Ball Champion

"Dragonrider1227" wrote:To say nothing of the fact that Astro Boy didn't get nominated for a Golden Globe but Cloudy with a chance of Meatballs did. CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF FREAKIN' MEATBALLS!! ><
But you know, as where the box office is concerned, Disney's Pinocchio wasn't a big box office success either and now look at it. This is going to be one of those movies that builds in it's success.

As for the Globes, Astro Boy wasn't even submitted for consideration, as I understand it, so it wasn't like the Globes ignored the movie.

But I agree with you that the Astro Boy film is indeed going to build in popularity as more and more people become aware of it. It seems to captivate almost everyone who actually gives it a chance. I'm hopeful. :)

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Dragonrider1227 » 14 years ago

Seriously? That sucks! Stupid Summit! ><

Alittleacorn
On a Flight into Space

Postby Alittleacorn » 14 years ago

I'm going to watch the movie on the big screen with family, AND buy the dvd. So i'm sure gonna do my part *nod nod*

Besides, even if it doesn't make much profit I'm certain they'll make a sequel. The movie hints too much on one and it was mentioned in an very old interview before the movie got off the ground that they'd intended to have aliens in it. Since one appeared at the end, you could assume that's the deal for Astro boy 2...i just, hope he doesn't go flying into the sun.

Laughing Dragon
Rocket Ball Champion

Astro Boy rises 2 places to 8th place!

Astro Boy actually ROSE in its third week in the UK!

Title Week Weekend Takings Total to Date Distributor
10 £ 2 817 009 £ 83 265 484
The Princess and the Frog
4 £ 1 725 519 £ 8 873 333 Walt Disney
Valentine's Day
2 £ 1 583 142 £ 7 777 154 Warner Bros U.K.
Percy Jackson And The Lightning Thief
2 £ 1 487 446 £ 5 225 096 20th Century Fox
The Wolfman
2 £ 774 890 £ 4 171 878 Universal International Pictures
Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakuel
9 £ 608 154 £ 23 164 859 20th Century Fox
Invictus
3 £ 570 801 £ 3 655 362 Warner Bros U.K.
Astro Boy
3 £ 523 215 £ 3 102 327
My Name Is Khan
2 £ 448 747 £ 1 960 349
A Single Man
2 £ 377 751 £ 1 267 181
Sherlock Holmes
9 £ 214 110 £ 25 711 734
Youth in Revolt
3 £ 154 021 £ 1 922 513

It's quite unusual for a movie to rise in the box-office rankings during its run; usually it debuts at a certain place, and then it's all downhill from there. Suffice it to say, Astro Boy is doing quite well in the UK. I think scheduling and word-of-mouth made a real difference there, whereas in the U.S., Summit's lousy release schedule really hurt the film. Quality will out, as they say. Go go go Astro Boy! :lol:

animegirlalways
Metro City Citizen

Postby animegirlalways » 14 years ago

"Alittleacorn" wrote:I'm going to watch the movie on the big screen with family, AND buy the dvd. So i'm sure gonna do my part *nod nod*

Besides, even if it doesn't make much profit I'm certain they'll make a sequel. The movie hints too much on one and it was mentioned in an very old interview before the movie got off the ground that they'd intended to have aliens in it. Since one appeared at the end, you could assume that's the deal for Astro boy 2...i just, hope he doesn't go flying into the sun.

I still hope for a sequel :heart: , though I'm not sure what to think about the aliens idea. Even though I loved the movie I actually didn't care for the ending with the alien (or the RRF). It may be because the movie was the first Astro Boy I saw, but I thought it was weird that right after Astro Boy defeated the bad guy and then revived *BAM* suddenly a strange alien shows up out of the blue :confused: . I am sorry to say but the first thing that popped in my head when I saw the part at the end with the alien was . . . Power Puff Girls? :lol: .
:astro:

Alittleacorn
On a Flight into Space

Postby Alittleacorn » 14 years ago

[QUOTE=I still hope for a sequel :heart: , though I'm not sure what to think about the aliens idea. Even though I loved the movie I actually didn't care for the ending with the alien (or the RRF). It may be because the movie was the first Astro Boy I saw, but I thought it was weird that right after Astro Boy defeated the bad guy and then revived *BAM* suddenly a strange alien shows up out of the blue :confused: . I am sorry to say but the first thing that popped in my head when I saw the part at the end with the alien was . . . Power Puff Girls? :lol: .
:astro: [/QUOTE]

I thought it was crazy too since i'd never known much on Astro boy before hand, but aliens aren't uncommon in it, so i wouldn't mind.

Lol Power Puff Girls! Ya know he'd make a good Buttercup. Give him a dress!

animegirlalways
Metro City Citizen

Postby animegirlalways » 14 years ago

If they do it right I wont mind either so I guess aliens could make a good sequel, especially since you are right there were episodes in the Astro Boy series that had aliens. :)

The first time I saw the movie though the sudden appearance of the weird looking alien just caught me so off guard and ruined the ending of the movie for me a little. Like I've said I still love the movie, right after seeing the movie I starting buying the TV series and saw the movie a second time in theaters. I also hope for a sequel and of course will buy the movie on blu-ray to add to my Astro Boy collection that's been growing since I first saw the movie. :heart:
:astro:
Last edited by animegirlalways on Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:05 am, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”