Will anyone try to bring Astro Boy to America again?

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Nora
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Nora » 14 years ago

"ebronstein" wrote:Personally, If they ever try and do another movie with him, I hope they learn from the last one. Sorry to differ, but I think the recent movie failed (beyond the obvious reasons of limited advertising) because IMAGI was just way to cautious, and changed everything about him that made him great, while trying to make him look like something out of pixar. :)

Oh if Pixar would ever consider doing the movie I wouldn't ever say anything bad about there short films again.
I'm a Literary Artist...not the Doctor!

http://shadowedinnocents.deviantart.com/

Laughing Dragon
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Laughing Dragon » 14 years ago

"ebronstein" wrote:Personally, If they ever try and do another movie with him, I hope they learn from the last one. Sorry to differ, but I think the recent movie failed (beyond the obvious reasons of limited advertising) because IMAGI was just way to cautious, and changed everything about him that made him great, while trying to make him look like something out of pixar. :)

Well, what about the other incarnations, the TV versions, that were more faithful but didn't do all that well either? (All except the original 1960's version, of course, but, as I noted, the world was a very different place then).

And I don't get the Pixar reference. I don't see the resemblance at all. Astro Boy has its own look, and that's one of the reasons I liked it so much.

As I mentioned before, Astro is a problematic character. There is no way he could be brought back with a word-by-word translation of the original manga, and succeed IMO. The movie, as it is, is controversial enough because of the depiction of the death of a child. If Tenma had been abusive on top of that, and if the film had just been a series of robot fights, I think it would have been a disaster, instead of a very good, under-watched little gem.

JMHO. Your mileage may vary.

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Dragonrider1227 » 14 years ago

Probably. Especially if the movie does well on DVD like I still have a feeling it will. A lot of movies these days get their money back on DVD rather than theaters

sgupta
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby sgupta » 14 years ago

Oh, I'm not sure a character like Astro Boy ever truly dies - hopefully eventually something will come of him in America again. But I'm not getting my hopes up for anytime soon unfortunately. =o/

Heck, I'd be *thrilled* if they simply subtitled and released the rest of what's out there!

- The 2003 series as seen in Japan with good dubs (ie the out of print Korean version
but complete)

- The 2003 movies, of which there appear to be several and there's no English version at all

- The 1960's 90-some episodes NEVER released outside of Japan.

- Maybe even the live action series (not something I'd be that into, but it would probably be fun to watch nonetheless)

Alittleacorn
On a Flight into Space

Postby Alittleacorn » 14 years ago

If they bring Astro boy back they need to stay true to the original. I still think how the movie was in the early stages still would've been cool. I would've prefered the darker Pinocchio theme they were aiming for, even in a remake or spin off series.

And was Toby dying at the start really horrible? Characters die in kids films all the time! Simba's dad in Lion King, The glowing bug in Princesss and the frog, The Male gorilla Tarzan) Even Pinocchio, a little kid, died! and he was shown face down in the water! while Toby just vanishes.

Makes me wonder what parents reactions would've been like if Toby's body had remained after the Peacekeeper, uproar no doubt.

Blah I just can't bring myself to hate the movie whatever the case, ;_; in fact i feel very protective of it. It's the first film i've wanted so much to watch again and again and I'd do anything for another sequel or the 2003 movies to come over to America!

Hikari Tail
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Hikari Tail » 14 years ago

If there going to make a new Astroboy movie in the future e or the series i do hope it will stay on the hands of the Japanese, the problem with America is, is the fact they toned everything down now i liked the Astroboy movie mind you, at least the Tenma character was not to much toned down like the 1980's series where he just dispeares and is written out of the story like that ( which i know ironic the 80's series was made in Japan but they kinda restored that with the 2003 series )

But compared to the comic book version the American movie was extremely toned down even more then the anime-series. Doesn't make it a bad movie but if there ever going to make a part 2 or a new movie they need to have a No-chances policy like Studio Ghibli.
Like art? like water coloring? like pointless rants ?
http://hikaritail.deviantart.com/
Visit my DA account!

ebronstein
Kokoro Robot

Postby ebronstein » 14 years ago

I wasn't asking for that with the film. I just wanted it to be a bit darker, like it was in the pre production phases, not take away his cute kid voice, and not add so many new characters that it takes time away from the older ones who quite frankly matter more. And I think they didn't have to change the way certain characters were drawn, or named. I mean "Bill" Tenma. Come on! If you're going that route just call him Dr. Boyton like in the 80's show.

Astrosgirl91
Metro City Citizen

Postby Astrosgirl91 » 14 years ago

"Alittleacorn" wrote:Nora's right, with the recent film there's a high chance something else could pop up. In anime form it could be 2020 like Nora said since they have come out every 20 years, but again never know with this movie someone might do an anime sooner. =) And remember Astro boy's a Japanese Mickey mouse, no way is he dying.

=_=; just depends on how much those mean America producers censor and cut up Astro boy in an animes/films. they practically chopped down the 2003 anime by putting a bunch of pressure on the producers.

I understand it's to protect little kids from violences and upsetting scenes, but life's not made up of happy candy all the time they need to learn that sooner or later so why can't they learn it at a young age? @_@ if only they'd keep it true to what Astro boy is.

Very well put! I would be ticked too if our Mickey Mouse was ever censored. And I hope Osamu-sempai is still in peace up in Heaven! Knowing what the US has done to his Signature Character.
"LET'S ROCKET!"~ :astro:

Fauna
Beyond the Stars

Postby Fauna » 14 years ago

"ebronstein" wrote:I mean "Bill" Tenma. Come on! If you're going that route just call him Dr. Boyton like in the 80's show.

I remember finding a press release in late 2007, and it referred to Tenma as "Dr. Tanner". I, fourteen at the time, invented a new shade of panic.

(I probably still have the link deep in the official movie thread.)
ImageImageImageImage
Dr. Tenma lover and aficionado since 2006!
Now featuring the Sad Old Dad Squad (The S.O.D.S.)

Hikari Tail
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Hikari Tail » 14 years ago

"ebronstein" wrote:I wasn't asking for that with the film. I just wanted it to be a bit darker, like it was in the pre production phases, not take away his cute kid voice, and not add so many new characters that it takes time away from the older ones who quite frankly matter more. And I think they didn't have to change the way certain characters were drawn, or named. I mean "Bill" Tenma. Come on! If you're going that route just call him Dr. Boyton like in the 80's show.

Yeah i was pretty much going what the ... when i heard he name Bill was revealed aside from it un cannon its also..just not good , its overly common name.

Like art? like water coloring? like pointless rants ?

http://hikaritail.deviantart.com/

Visit my DA account!

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”