Astro's Birthday tomorrow!!

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
User avatar
AprilSeven
Silent Song
Posts: 3783
Joined: 11 years ago
Location: Orange County, NY

Yes... BUT...

Postby AprilSeven » 11 years ago

"jeffbert" wrote:I hate to ruin it for you, gabriel, but those things are so vague, that most astrology fans would think they are made just for them. Jame Randi proved it beyond any doubt, when he distributed horoscopes that were supposedly drawn up for each personally by a famous astrologer. They rated these horoscopes as very accurate descriptions of themselves. Then he had shown them that they had each fallen for a profile that fit them all, yet each thought it was personal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Dp2Zqk8vHw&feature=related


I'm familiar with that demonstration, and while I wouldn't bet the farm on astrology, it is documented that the full moon does indeed tend to bring out, uhhh, shall we say, "interesting" personalities. :eek: I figured somebody out there had done that (or some poor child born 4-7-03 is actually named Atomu). Just curious...

Fairlane12
Rocket Ball Champion
Posts: 158
Joined: 11 years ago
Location: Metro City

Postby Fairlane12 » 11 years ago

That party looked fun,wish I was there
Last edited by Fairlane12 on Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
jeffbert
Minister of Science
Posts: 12339
Joined: 18 years ago

Postby jeffbert » 11 years ago

"AprilSeven" wrote:[QUOTE=jeffbert;97434]I hate to ruin it for you, gabriel, but those things are so vague, that most astrology fans would think they are made just for them. Jame Randi proved it beyond any doubt, when he distributed horoscopes that were supposedly drawn up for each personally by a famous astrologer. They rated these horoscopes as very accurate descriptions of themselves. Then he had shown them that they had each fallen for a profile that fit them all, yet each thought it was personal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Dp2Zqk8vHw&feature=related


I'm familiar with that demonstration, and while I wouldn't bet the farm on astrology, it is documented that the full moon does indeed tend to bring out, uhhh, shall we say, "interesting" personalities. :eek: I figured somebody out there had done that (or some poor child born 4-7-03 is actually named Atomu). Just curious...[/QUOTE]
I believe it is attributed to an expectation of a weakness during the full moon. In other words, a self-fulfilling prophecy thing. I might get around to checking that later.
Image

User avatar
AprilSeven
Silent Song
Posts: 3783
Joined: 11 years ago
Location: Orange County, NY

Looks like you're right

Postby AprilSeven » 11 years ago

"jeffbert" wrote:[QUOTE=AprilSeven;97437][QUOTE=jeffbert;97434]I hate to ruin it for you, gabriel, but those things are so vague, that most astrology fans would think they are made just for them. Jame Randi proved it beyond any doubt, when he distributed horoscopes that were supposedly drawn up for each personally by a famous astrologer. They rated these horoscopes as very accurate descriptions of themselves. Then he had shown them that they had each fallen for a profile that fit them all, yet each thought it was personal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Dp2Zqk8vHw&feature=related


I'm familiar with that demonstration, and while I wouldn't bet the farm on astrology, it is documented that the full moon does indeed tend to bring out, uhhh, shall we say, "interesting" personalities. :eek: I figured somebody out there had done that (or some poor child born 4-7-03 is actually named Atomu). Just curious...[/QUOTE]
I believe it is attributed to an expectation of a weakness during the full moon. In other words, a self-fulfilling prophecy thing. I might get around to checking that later.[/QUOTE]

This looks legit so I guess you're right (I know SO many folks who will attest to opposite, but science is science) :whistling:

http://www.scienceline.org/2008/03/31/ask-grant-fullmoon/

User avatar
avatargirl
Beyond the Stars
Posts: 2367
Joined: 11 years ago

Postby avatargirl » 11 years ago

so glad Osamu Tezuka came up with ASTRO BOY- HAPPY birthday Astro Boy!

gabriel
Kokoro Robot
Posts: 33
Joined: 11 years ago
Location: Italy

Postby gabriel » 11 years ago

Originally Posted by jeffbert View Post
I hate to ruin it for you, gabriel, but those things are so vague, that most astrology fans would think they are made just for them


But Jeffbert, you didn't ruin anything! Like you said in your post these profiles are never much accurate because numerology, astrology ecc. aren't exact sciences. So a person's profile is done in a way you can have multiple interpretation. Back on Astro, someone know how his birthday was celebrated in Japan?

it is documented that the full moon does indeed tend to bring out, uhhh, shall we say, "interesting" personalities


Some years ago i was in the audience for a lecture done by a scientist who supported this theory. In a few word she said: "It's documented that moon phases have effect on the sea. The sea is made of water. Our body is circa 80% composed of water. So moon may have effect also on us".

User avatar
clashing claws
Rocket Ball Champion
Posts: 100
Joined: 11 years ago
Location: My house

Postby clashing claws » 11 years ago

"Nora" wrote:[QUOTE=clashing claws;97363]When I was on facebook I told my friend its astro boys birthday and she made a video of her singing happy birthday to astro boy :)


LMAO...so neat[/QUOTE]

Yeah I know I'm trying to get my friend to become a member on astro boy forums since she is a fan of him but for some reason shes busy :d oh:
[sigpic][/sigpic] Astro boy is the best :D

User avatar
fafner
Cosmic Ranger
Posts: 3505
Joined: 17 years ago
Contact:

Postby fafner » 11 years ago

"gabriel" wrote:Some years ago i was in the audience for a lecture done by a scientist who supported this theory. In a few word she said: "It's documented that moon phases have effect on the sea. The sea is made of water. Our body is circa 80% composed of water. So moon may have effect also on us".

The moon has as much power on us as on a thrown coin: it might cause the coin to fall on the other side something around 1 times out of a few billions of billions of times. So yes it has an effect us, but on an extremely small and unpredictable way. Think about Coriolis effect: it can cause devastating hurricanes. Does it send us spinning around? No, because we don't have a lot of mass, especially compared to the vast mass of air that makes the hurricanes. Same thing for the moon: our mass in neglectable.

Oh, and the moon has an effect on all matter, not only water. If continents don't move, that's because they are solid. And in fact they do move, but it isn't observable by the naked eye; you need laser-equipped satellites to see it.
Last edited by fafner on Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The real sign that someone has become a fanatic is that he completely loses his sense of humor about some important facet of his life. When humor goes, it means he's lost his perspective.

Wedge Antilles
Star Wars - Exile

User avatar
jeffbert
Minister of Science
Posts: 12339
Joined: 18 years ago

Postby jeffbert » 11 years ago

I studied parapsychology in college; the book was Terence Hine's Pseudoscience and the Paranormal, & it had a few pages on the lunar effect. Yes, there were a few studies that found that the full moon affected behavior. One study just happened to use data taken from full moon nights that fell on weekends, & the conclusions were therefore invalid, as the behavior was rightly attributed by the weekend partying (157). There were others, but they too, were flawed.

Regarding the moon's gravitational attraction on humans, I am no physicist, but the book assures me that that attraction is 'infinitesimal' (157).

BTW, for those interested in this subject, I highly recommend this book. I have others by Randi, Shermer, & Sagan, but this one is the place to start. :lol: Prometheus Books is the publisher.
Image

User avatar
Nora
Rocket Ball Champion
Posts: 441
Joined: 11 years ago
Location: Cybertron

Postby Nora » 11 years ago

"jeffbert" wrote:I studied parapsychology in college; the book was Terence Hine's Pseudoscience and the Paranormal, & it had a few pages on the lunar effect. Yes, there were a few studies that found that the full moon affected behavior. One study just happened to use data taken from full moon nights that fell on weekends, & the conclusions were therefore invalid, as the behavior was rightly attributed by the weekend partying (157). There were others, but they too, were flawed.

Regarding the moon's gravitational attraction on humans, I am no physicist, but the book assures me that that attraction is 'infinitesimal' (157).

BTW, for those interested in this subject, I highly recommend this book. I have others by Randi, Shermer, & Sagan, but this one is the place to start. :lol: Prometheus Books is the publisher.


OMG I hold paranormal investigations all the time to people who wanna know or just want to see the ghosts in there houses.
I'm a Literary Artist...not the Doctor!

http://shadowedinnocents.deviantart.com/


Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests