Astro's Birthday tomorrow!!

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
AprilSeven
Silent Song

Happy Birthday to my life-long hero -- just had to join this forum!

Postby AprilSeven » 14 years ago

What a difference a YEAR makes!! Until last summer I had no idea there was SO MUCH out there about Astro Boy. I'm one of the "original American fans" as I was only 10 years old when the cartoon version was broadcast in the USA, and I drove my parents crazy to be near a TV set every Saturday night (no DVRs back then, y'know!).

My brother and I would draw detailed diagrams of his schematics and tried to figure out exactly how those jet-boots collapsed and fired (our dad was a Sr. Engineer at IBM -- so we were geeks from early-on). And now, after about 50 years, I'm enjoying it all again, and it's even better than I remember (I'm especially impressed with the Pluto manga I'm currently reading).

Your forum is WONDERFUL. Looks like people of all ages, and from around the world. Have been planning to join, so figured -- TODAY IS THE DAY :D

I've been on my break at work, so I've got to get back to business -- but I'm so happy Astro/Atom is still out there (he's always be "Astor Boynton/Astro Boy" to me, but it seems only fitting to acknowledge his real, Japanese, name). Too bad my husband is learning Mandarin -- I want him to switch to Japanese!

Alittleacorn
On a Flight into Space

Postby Alittleacorn » 14 years ago

"AprilSeven" wrote:What a difference a YEAR makes!! Until last summer I had no idea there was SO MUCH out there about Astro Boy. I'm one of the "original American fans" as I was only 10 years old when the cartoon version was broadcast in the USA, and I drove my parents crazy to be near a TV set every Saturday night (no DVRs back then, y'know!).

My brother and I would draw detailed diagrams of his schematics and tried to figure out exactly how those jet-boots collapsed and fired (our dad was a Sr. Engineer at IBM -- so we were geeks from early-on). And now, after about 50 years, I'm enjoying it all again, and it's even better than I remember (I'm especially impressed with the Pluto manga I'm currently reading).

Your forum is WONDERFUL. Looks like people of all ages, and from around the world. Have been planning to join, so figured -- TODAY IS THE DAY :D

I've been on my break at work, so I've got to get back to business -- but I'm so happy Astro/Atom is still out there (he's always be "Astor Boynton/Astro Boy" to me, but it seems only fitting to acknowledge his real, Japanese, name). Too bad my husband is learning Mandarin -- I want him to switch to Japanese!

Welcome to the forum! :lol: It's cool to hear from one of the original fans. I'm a newbie to the whole Astro Boy series, saw the film and got utterly hooked! me ish a fan of the uncensored 2003 anime too, and I love the 1980 version as well. :astro:

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 14 years ago

Welcome to the forum, AprilSeven. If you are especially interested in the B&W version, check out my episode reviews:

1963 Astroboy series: English sequence

I apologize that the links are not in blue as is the standard; please look for the underlining of words, which is the only indicator of hyperlinks. :astro:

To date, I have reviews for only the 1st season.

Laughing Dragon
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Laughing Dragon » 14 years ago

Happy birthday, robot boy! :wub: :w00t: :D

fafner
Cosmic Ranger

Postby fafner » 14 years ago

Of course Astro can eat, but beware of your cutlery :p
The real sign that someone has become a fanatic is that he completely loses his sense of humor about some important facet of his life. When humor goes, it means he's lost his perspective.

Wedge Antilles
Star Wars - Exile

Nora
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Nora » 14 years ago

"fafner" wrote:Of course Astro can eat, but beware of your cutlery :p

And your bath tub fossets...and jackets...and windows...and...yeah you get the point
I'm a Literary Artist...not the Doctor!

http://shadowedinnocents.deviantart.com/

LYScienceLover
Kokoro Robot

Postby LYScienceLover » 14 years ago

Happy birthday Astro! To celebrate the occasion I made a special piece of fan art and a music video! Enjoy! Image The robots in the image are: EVE Giddy From Battle For Terra WALL-E M-O Astro Rover From Planet 51 Now the music video! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fiSeuNuI6Y

dannavy85
Banned

Postby dannavy85 » 14 years ago

Happy b-day astro!
"You guys have some serious Mommy issues."

LLM
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby LLM » 14 years ago

HAPPY BIRTH DAY ASTRO BOY!!!!
My Astro Boy paper dolls, happily under my monitor.

Nora
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Nora » 14 years ago

I went and got cupcakes and my daughter and I sat down to watch astro boy and made a marathon of it :D .

Happy Birthday Astro...and many many more *Bows.*

But seriously...58 years old...he's older then my mom! *Faints.*
I'm a Literary Artist...not the Doctor!

http://shadowedinnocents.deviantart.com/

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”