139 Atom Stolen

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
AprilSeven
Silent Song

Postby AprilSeven » 14 years ago

Oh YEAH! You mean like THIS?? LOL toooo funny! my first image -- hope I did this right....
Last edited by AprilSeven on Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alittleacorn
On a Flight into Space

Postby Alittleacorn » 14 years ago

"AprilSeven" wrote:Oh YEAH! You mean like THIS?? LOL toooo funny! my first image -- hope I did this right....

HAHAHA YES! Dude that is gold! XD

Carm the Shoe Whisperer
Kokoro Robot

Postby Carm the Shoe Whisperer » 14 years ago

"AprilSeven" wrote:Image

Oh YEAH! You mean like THIS?? LOL toooo funny! my first image -- hope I did this right....

HA!That's win. xDD

AprilSeven
Silent Song

Thanks! hmmm it would be really easy to add the butt guns, but that might be just a little too over the top!

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 14 years ago

:D Ok, people, you have taken this off-topic discussion far enough! :lol: Create a thread about an adult version of Atom, if you must, but please, no more of this, here.

AprilSeven
Silent Song

"jeffbert" wrote: :D Ok, people, you have taken this off-topic discussion far enough! :lol: Create a thread about an adult version of Atom, if you must, but please, no more of this, here.

Sorry! But interesting point -- I just read in "The Astro Boy Essays" Tezuka's comment that the older/taller he drew Atom, the less people "liked" him. That's a great book. You're working on one too? You seem to be a real resource, so I'm looking forward to hearing about that [natch, in another thread]

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 14 years ago

"AprilSeven" wrote:[QUOTE=jeffbert;97432] :D Ok, people, you have taken this off-topic discussion far enough! :lol: Create a thread about an adult version of Atom, if you must, but please, no more of this, here.

Sorry! But interesting point -- I just read in "The Astro Boy Essays" Tezuka's comment that the older/taller he drew Atom, the less people "liked" him. That's a great book. You're working on one too? You seem to be a real resource, so I'm looking forward to hearing about that [natch, in another thread][/QUOTE]
I have a ton of partially completed essays, but am just now working on an outline for the book. I have yet to decide what to include in it. But, in looking at some of the other book, Ladd's, Schodt's, etc, it seems like 200 to 250 of 9 by 6 pages is about the most I could expect. So I do not think any exhaustive episode guides would fit, even if all else was excluded. There are 4 animated series, counting Jet Mars, and over 300 episodes. So, I expect to limit my book to introductions to the various series & characters unique to each, plus the cast of regular characters, & a few other tidbits. But it will take at least another year at my present rate of work, before I am ready to look for a publisher. :cry:

AprilSeven
Silent Song

Good for you - and best of luck!

"jeffbert" wrote:[QUOTE=AprilSeven;97438][QUOTE=jeffbert;97432] :D Ok, people, you have taken this off-topic discussion far enough! :lol: Create a thread about an adult version of Atom, if you must, but please, no more of this, here.

Sorry! But interesting point -- I just read in "The Astro Boy Essays" Tezuka's comment that the older/taller he drew Atom, the less people "liked" him. That's a great book. You're working on one too? You seem to be a real resource, so I'm looking forward to hearing about that [natch, in another thread][/QUOTE]
I have a ton of partially completed essays, but am just now working on an outline for the book. I have yet to decide what to include in it. But, in looking at some of the other book, Ladd's, Schodt's, etc, it seems like 200 to 250 of 9 by 6 pages is about the most I could expect. So I do not think any exhaustive episode guides would fit, even if all else was excluded. There are 4 animated series, counting Jet Mars, and over 300 episodes. So, I expect to limit my book to introductions to the various series & characters unique to each, plus the cast of regular characters, & a few other tidbits. But it will take at least another year at my present rate of work, before I am ready to look for a publisher. :cry: [/QUOTE]

That's terrific - and it's really important to have all this information compiled. I had no idea it was such an enormous body of work. I'm just learning all about the Mighty Atom "universe" (I thought it was only an animated kid's show from the 60's) It's humbling/inspiring to see what a renaissance man Tezuka was. I know how tough it can be to get published - but you seem to be an incredible resource of information, and the fact you are writing about a famous character with a big following will be in your favor. I'm also impressed with some of the "fan fiction" (I especially enjoyed "Growing Pains" I found via this site).

Little Brown Fox
On a Flight into Space

Postby Little Brown Fox » 14 years ago

Hmm... I dunno. Grown-up Astro is just a little creepy to me.
... "Astro-Hunk"? Now, that's a step too far.
I remember reading somewhere on Tezuka In English (or rather, it was a link to some preview pages on Dark Horse's website) about the different ways Tezuka drew Astro. I can't say I really cared for the examples of the "taller Astro" that were given... He can't be too big, but he also can't be too small; a smaller character has more limited movement, because anything too extreme doesn't look quite right.

Now, about Cobalt... I'd really like to see screen shots from the episode he was introduced. He seems like a guy who can pull off a veritable bevy of strange and humorous (and even wacky) facial expressions. :D ... Not that that's all I wanna see of him. :)
lolwut

AprilSeven
Silent Song

"Little Brown Fox" wrote:Hmm... I dunno. Grown-up Astro is just a little creepy to me.
... "Astro-Hunk"? Now, that's a step too far.
I remember reading somewhere on Tezuka In English (or rather, it was a link to some preview pages on Dark Horse's website) about the different ways Tezuka drew Astro. I can't say I really cared for the examples of the "taller Astro" that were given... He can't be too big, but he also can't be too small; a smaller character has more limited movement, because anything too extreme doesn't look quite right.

Now, about Cobalt... I'd really like to see screen shots from the episode he was introduced. He seems like a guy who can pull off a veritable bevy of strange and humorous (and even wacky) facial expressions. :D ... Not that that's all I wanna see of him. :)

You know, LBF, I do get your point -- and actually what I was really digging was the way he looked in a suit (they gave him all the classic Superman styling - square jaw, broad shoulders, not too scrawny). But he looks kinda weird (I think just too naked) in those Speedos as an adult. Plus they didn't make him look muscular - so I think that might be what you're picking up on.

I'm not good with screen shots on this computer (a Mac; I use a PC more) but here are links

episode 84 - Brother Jetto (where he was introduced)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ez7fzM-qaCc&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDu0DdxFOFQ&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VTYh4itLHE&feature=related

This is a good one too - #104 - Double Trouble. Astro and Jetto/Cobalt team up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLNZSxLk9sA&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snRGMwLGTCc&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36OKt8LRtOk&feature=related

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”