139 Atom Stolen

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 11 years ago

"AprilSeven" wrote:It's interesting to note that in the original manga, Cobalt is not included in the story. I can't imagine why he was left out - unless this manga (in Dark Horse Vol. 10) was created BEFORE he "existed"?
Actually the Manga story was dated from 1965 according to Dark Horse (though that might not have been the date of the original story, but rather a reprint from an earlier printing), about the same date as the TV show actually.

ASTROBUDDY
Robot President

Postby ASTROBUDDY » 11 years ago

"kscharf" wrote:[QUOTE=AprilSeven;206865]It's interesting to note that in the original manga, Cobalt is not included in the story. I can't imagine why he was left out - unless this manga (in Dark Horse Vol. 10) was created BEFORE he "existed"?
Actually the Manga story was dated from 1965 according to Dark Horse (though that might not have been the date of the original story, but rather a reprint from an earlier printing), about the same date as the TV show actually.[/QUOTE]

Actually I am glad you mentioned the fact that the manga and anime episode were published/released at about the same time because this isn't the only time that this situation happened. For example, the anime episode "Last Day on Earth" first aired in Japan on May 16, 1964, while the manga version saw publication in the March, 1964 thru June, 1964 issues of Shonen which means the story was made with an anime version in mind while it saw print in Shonen.

The time between manga publication and anime adaptation was not as distant as one might suspect.

I :heart: :astro: :)

Toshio
Banned

Postby Toshio » 11 years ago

I personally like the idea that Atom rejected the adult body.

After all, his current body may not grow up, but it's still the body which he had born and is precious for him.

And there is no law saying that he should abandom the body which he used most for his life and cast it away as if is just scrap heap to change into an adult one.

The episode "Eternal Boy" showed him having concern about being always like he is and he was fearing his friends reaction.

But, he don't had to worry, because they would accept him as he is.

His body cannot prevent him of enjoying happiness even if his mind get aged.
Anyone can live according to their own bodies and limitations, so there is no reason for him giving up of his own body to live into another.

And even with a child body, Atom can be still an authority.
Do you guys remember the episode which he leaded a group of humans in the trip for Mars, despite his child looks?

The physical appearance doesn't matter, what matter is having a righteous mind.
So, Atom will never need to change bodies and neither need to change just to fit standards left by the humans.
Last edited by Toshio on Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:45 am, edited 5 times in total.

AprilSeven
Silent Song

Postby AprilSeven » 11 years ago

It's interesting to note that in the original manga, Cobalt is not included in the story. I can't imagine why he was left out - unless this manga (in Dark Horse Vol. 10) was created BEFORE he "existed"?

I re-read that story and Cobalt WAS there - in the very last frame. I wonder why Tezuka didn't have an adult Cobalt as he did in the anime.. :confused:
Image Sig artwork by Alittleacorn!

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 11 years ago

"AprilSeven" wrote:
It's interesting to note that in the original manga, Cobalt is not included in the story. I can't imagine why he was left out - unless this manga (in Dark Horse Vol. 10) was created BEFORE he "existed"?

I re-read that story and Cobalt WAS there - in the very last frame. I wonder why Tezuka didn't have an adult Cobalt as he did in the anime.. :confused:

Well the last PAGE anyway. Which reminds me, I've been impressed that even though she can't fly, Uran has NO fear of heights.

AprilSeven
Silent Song

Postby AprilSeven » 11 years ago

Oh yeah - you're right!! The last panel was Astro and Uran sitting atop a building! :p

Oh, but look - they left Cobalt out! :(

One reason I'd like to see those Japanese only 60's episodes is it appears Tezuka expands his storylines to include Astro's siblings.

I thought it was a riot - in the manga - when the prototype adult "Astro" presented his parents with a proposed "new look" for them - shriveled, bent-over elderly. Funny not only because I can appreciate a robot saying - NAHH-UHH!! You're not putting ME in that sad looking body! But also because the "new" parent bodies appear to be in their mid-80's and their equivalent human ages would likely have been in their late 30's - early 40's :lol:
Image Sig artwork by Alittleacorn!

tailz
Banned

Postby tailz » 10 years ago

Adult Astro... Creepy... A bit too creepy... *shivers* I'm sticking with the original Astro! He's better as a kid and also has more powers! :) ! And not to mention, Super Cute! ^_^!
Hello! If you wish to speak with me on other sites then Follow me on these sites below:

http://my.desktopnexus.com/tailz/

http://www.aimini.net/look/?pid=d24TGUDedhOYX1QAcgzS

http://nanonanopudding.deviantart.com/

Keep in mind that I do Not own theses sites. These sites belong to their rightful owners. Thank you. :)

My fansite:http://blackjackpudding.webs.com/apps/profile/84233730/

[sigpic][/sigpic]

I love 初音ミク :heart:

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 10 years ago

I agree, Tailz.

teugene50
On a Flight into Space

Postby teugene50 » 10 years ago

Got the screenshot for Atom stolen?

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 10 years ago

I do not understand your question, teugene50, given that there are several dozen screenshots in this thread. :blush:

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”