3 down..... 1 too many

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Bakabits
Rocket Ball Champion

3 down..... 1 too many

Postby Bakabits » 14 years ago

Sup everyone and hello to all new people. i am now 75% finished watching astro boy! 1980s CHECK! 2003 CHECK! Movie CHECK but was not amused. i got the movie on DVD a couple weeks ago. I may not watch the 1960s series for a couple of years because of the wrong pictures and scenes and episode length so i am back........ Again! For the record this is my 2nd return to the forums.
Now active on MyAnimeList

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 14 years ago

I do not know what you are talking about; the 1960s version is the definitive one. The dub does have a few instances of dialogue changes to eliminate references to death, but compared to subsequent versions, it is great.

LLM
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby LLM » 14 years ago

"sonicx137" wrote:I may not watch the 1960s series for a couple of years because of the wrong pictures and scenes...

What?
My Astro Boy paper dolls, happily under my monitor.

Nora
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Nora » 14 years ago

"LLM" wrote:[QUOTE=sonicx137;97478]I may not watch the 1960s series for a couple of years because of the wrong pictures and scenes...

What?[/QUOTE]

wait...wait...wait...what?
I'm a Literary Artist...not the Doctor!

http://shadowedinnocents.deviantart.com/

jeffbert
Minister of Science

sonicx137, we really want you to specify which "wrong pictures and scenes and episode length".

AprilSeven
Silent Song

Sounds like you started at the "wrong end!"

Postby AprilSeven » 14 years ago

"sonicx137" wrote:Sup everyone and hello to all new people. i am now 75% finished watching astro boy! 1980s CHECK! 2003 CHECK! Movie CHECK but was not amused. i got the movie on DVD a couple weeks ago. I may not watch the 1960s series for a couple of years because of the wrong pictures and scenes and episode length so i am back........ Again! For the record this is my 2nd return to the forums.

I wish someone had advised you to either read the Dark Horse Manga or 1960's animation first.

The original animation is less "tampered with" and gives you a closer look at what the author/creator envisioned. When you see how the character of Astro/Atom evolved across the decades it's fascinating -- but the original (to me, at least) is the best. And I feel his character in the 2009 movie, although slightly older, was more like the original Atom -- just modernized (not as "tough" as the 2003 character; not as childish as the 1980's character). Give it a chance, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised!

Fauna
Beyond the Stars

Postby Fauna » 14 years ago

Sonicx137, I used to not have any interest in the 1960's series, but it's a great way to see what Tezuka wanted in an animation, and you need to know that sometimes he animated the scenes himself (along with coming up with the cel bank, where they organized certain animated cels to be reused in later episodes). It's got a lot more wacky and comedic moments per minute than the other versions, and I wish more of the episodes were handily-available.

Of course, I got into Astro Boy by reading the manga first, which probably gave me an advantage in adjusting, but still...

This reminds me of a huge online fight a few months ago that some Tetsujin 28/Gigantor fans had over whether the 2004 anime or the 1964 anime were better. :lol:
ImageImageImageImage
Dr. Tenma lover and aficionado since 2006!
Now featuring the Sad Old Dad Squad (The S.O.D.S.)

Bakabits
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Bakabits » 14 years ago

what i meant was i cant show it in front of my brother. its not like i didn't try it though. the "wrong scene" i saw was in the first episode a circus robot who had no energy told astro to charge him........ the charge thing was in the robots rear end and i cant show my lil brother that. my family is also short on money at the moment so i cant buy it and i dont have a job i am only 14.
Now active on MyAnimeList

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Yes, Piko-chan's refuelling port is in his rump. :lol: There is a similar scene in Robot Fortress (Mystery of Amless Dam); Piko-chan is also in that one, but I do not believe he gets a booster shot. :lol:

LLM
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby LLM » 14 years ago

"sonicx137" wrote:what i meant was i cant show it in front of my brother. its not like i didn't try it though. the "wrong scene" i saw was in the first episode a circus robot who had no energy told astro to charge him........ the charge thing was in the robots rear end and i cant show my lil brother that. my family is also short on money at the moment so i cant buy it and i dont have a job i am only 14.

You can find the 1960s version on YouTube if need be.

My Astro Boy paper dolls, happily under my monitor.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”