Is it true that Tezuka originally-

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Beyond the Stars

Is it true that Tezuka originally-

Postby avatargirl » 14 years ago

Thought about Astro Boy BEING A GIRL when he came up with the idea of a robot child? He or i mean she would had been so cute as a girl- thanks :heart: :wub: :astro:

AprilSeven
Silent Song

Postby AprilSeven » 14 years ago

Yes, amazingly it IS true. I read it in the book "The Astro Boy Essays" -- the only reason he became a dude was because Tezuka was creating the manga for a boy's magazine.

hmmm somehow I don't think he would have had those butt guns on an Astro Girl? :shifty:

Alittleacorn
On a Flight into Space

Postby Alittleacorn » 14 years ago

Yeah i read that Essay book and it's true, Tezuka had the idea of Astro being a beautiful female android. I'm glad he stuck with Astro, because the idea wouldn't have been the same.

Annnnd Astro Girl might've had bra machine guns instead of butt machine guns. Dude what a team that'd be! lol!

CommanderEVE
Beyond the Stars

Postby CommanderEVE » 14 years ago

I didn't know this. Damn, I do know if I would have watched it if it was called Astro Girl. Because I think Astro is way cooler being a boy then a Girl. Also Uran would be a little bother instead of a little sister if Astro where a boy.

Little Brown Fox
On a Flight into Space

Postby Little Brown Fox » 14 years ago

Hmm... What a weird thought... as well as a uncanny coincidence! I actually drew a character that is pretty much a female parallel to Astro Boy. I don't have it scanned yet, though. I might not even bother. (It's on the same page as my cat-dragon, though- you should probably expect to see that on my dA!)
lolwut

Nora
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Nora » 14 years ago

Wonder what she would have looked like...probably Uran/Zoran. they wouldn't have had to change the voice actors though...they were mostly female voice actors anyways right?
I'm a Literary Artist...not the Doctor!

http://shadowedinnocents.deviantart.com/

Alittleacorn
On a Flight into Space

Postby Alittleacorn » 14 years ago

I think she would've just looked exactly like Astro...wearing a bra, and on the outside of her shirt, because we all know superheros wearing their underpants over their clothes is a 'cool' thing to do. Look at Batman and Superman for example. XD

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Dragonrider1227 » 14 years ago

This probably explains why I often see drawings of him as a girl XD

AprilSeven
Silent Song

Postby AprilSeven » 14 years ago

Tezuka was a total Disney junkie! In the "Essays" book it said he watched Bambi something like 80 times -- and he completely used Bambi's eyes on Astro Boy (note the shaded eyelids, brown color, long lashes). I think it actually amped up the "cute factor" that the Astro became a boy -- he's the most powerful thing on earth and he has heartbreakingly adorable puppy-dog eyes. The PERFECT foil!!

BTW I remember writing a letter to WNEW TV (Channel 5 -- NYC) with a drawing I made of a suggested new character for the series ("Astro Girl") -- and was completely FREAKED when Uran appeared after only a few months. I had designed her with a white blouse, short dark skirt, long dark hair in two ponytails and (of course!) jet boots. I was annoyed they cut back on her powers, but I remember screeching in complete joy to my parents "Look they read my letter and made Astro Girl!!!" I was one happy 10-year-old kid! :)

Beyond the Stars

Postby avatargirl » 14 years ago

hi- thanks but when was ASTRO BOY ever drawn as a girl please Dragonrider1227-? betcha he was cute as a girl. I think Uran would had still been a girl unless she(the female ASTRO BOY) ask for a brother.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”