Opinions of the CGI 09 Movie

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Alittleacorn
On a Flight into Space

Postby Alittleacorn » 13 years ago

Toby's death was an accident waiting to happen in that movie. Now i'm not talking about how the soldier got his credit card stolen from a 13 year old, or that the other soldiers were too busy chatting to notice the cardboard box pass’em by, but the actually Peacekeeper scene itself.

Who in their right mind tests a robot that is shooting lasers or bullets everywhere...without the shield down!?

I mean it's ONLY when the Peacekeeper starts running towards them, does it finally register 'Hey! Let's lower the shield for our own safety! Boy I hope nobody gets' trapped in there-OMG TOBY IT'S ALL MY FAULT!'...(facepalm) Tenma :d oh:

The film's riddles with errors if you look for them. Like Elefun said 'keep the cores apart or you'll kill us all' so why did they have two tubes flowing with positive and negitive energy next to each other? What were both cores doing in that room in the first place? Shouldn't they be under lock and key someplace?

And Astro, how long was Tenma gonna play the 'you're Toby a human being' game? His plan wasn't fool proof if those boots are join to Astro. Wouldn't he have eventually freaked out if he realized he couldn't get them off? And if it's the same deal with the speedo then Tenma is even more stupid because he's likely to have found out anyway by the end of the day if he's not using the bathroom.

Back to President Stone though, his idea on attacking the surface was stupid. Do the math, one floating city + the earth = :hyo: He was supposed to start a war with the world? Good luck buddy.

Another error is people in Metro City acting as if the earth is a ruin. Sure it's been a 100 years but how can they not know what the surface is like? They must have traveled down to get resources or where else did all that robot junk come from? And why is it Metro City only dumps robots and only a few bits of junk like a cell phone?

And can Metro City even be called a city? It looks more like a floating Metro Town. it should've been ten times bigger.

...And yes, I can say all that and STILL love the movie! :lol:

Androids101
Cosmic Ranger

Postby Androids101 » 13 years ago

I must admit I have never even thought about the shield problem until now, and yes, I agree it lacks common sense. And when the Peacekeeper absorbed the shield, doesn't President Stone even know the capabilities or abilities of a robot he created himself!?

About the Tenma treating Astro like a human thing, I believe its because Tenma is doing it in order to please himself, because remember, the original purpose to why he built Astro was for him to try and 'revive' his lost son, and for him to do that he tried to treat Astro like he is Toby. But when Tenma found out all Astro reminded him of was the fact that Toby was gone, he got so upset and (despite Elefun's objections) threw Astro away.

Hmmm...the fact that the people on Metro City treating the Earth as if it was a ruin was interesting. But human beings always have a bad habit of thinking themselves more superior than others (countries think themselves superior to other countries, races think themselves superior to other races, people living in the city think themselves superior to people living in the country etc). And its because the fact that the people on Metro City having not been to the surface that makes them think even more that Earth is a dump, after all, from their point of view, how is a place where we empty out our broken robot parts any good?

People have always wanted to built flying cities, even in the 1920s :lol:

All these point don't make it a bad movie, its just the fact that it could've been better :) .

Shirubie
Kokoro Robot

Postby Shirubie » 13 years ago

The thing that annoyed me the most in the movie was that Astro had Toby's memories. In all the other incarnations, Astro was a blank slate who was learning about humanity, how to coexist with humans. In the movie, until he realises he's a robot, he thinks he's always been human, he just fits in too well. He has nothing to learn about humanity, he thinks, acts and even looks perfectly human.

All the other Astros (except in Pluto) looked robotic to some degree, they would stand out in a crowd and felt like outcasts not just because they're robots, but because they struggle to understand human society. That struggle, a defining part of Astro's character to me, is gone in the movie. Movie Astro is not my Astro, He's Toby transfered in a robot body.

Dr. Jerk
On a Flight into Space

Postby Dr. Jerk » 13 years ago

"Shirubie" wrote:The thing that annoyed me the most in the movie was that Astro had Toby's memories.

He also had Tobio's memories in the 2003 series.

And also, I don't think it was mentioned that he had Toby's memories in the film. Believing you're a human being and having the memories of someone are two different things.

Shirubie
Kokoro Robot

Postby Shirubie » 13 years ago

2003 Astro had a few flashbacks and didn't know what they were. When he was reactivated he had no memories at all, didn't even know his name and had to relearn everything.

In the movie we see Tenma extract Toby's memories from a hair. Movie Astro woke up the day after his creation, recognized his dad, his room, his robot servant and asked if he had been sick. Toby would have acted the same way.

F-Man
On a Flight into Space

Postby F-Man » 13 years ago

"Dr. Jerk" wrote:He also had Tobio's memories in the 2003 series.

Only ever so slightly.

"Laughing Dragon" wrote:IMO (straps on butt guts to keep the mob at bay while I run like hell) it's superior to any Astro Boy production that's come before. In his other incarnations, Astro's always left me a little cold. The idea of a scantily-clad robot child just didn't do it for me.

You should really read the manga honestly. It makes you go through all emotions. It made me cry many times... The movie, eh, almost one time... The manga's (and original anime) science fiction ideas are also groundbreaking and pretty hardcore.

Movie Astro starting to dress in his classic outfit would be weird, since he passed off as a human for so long. The original Astro though, everyone knows from the beginning he's a robot, even himself. There's nothing weird about him wearing no clothes. In fact he just looks cool; there's a reason he's the most iconic character in Japan.

"Alittleacorn" wrote:The story just feels unfinished leaving it as it is. Even if it was a direct to dvd release I wouldn't mind.

Be careful what you wish for. Direct-to-video animation in America is always synonym with "abomination" except if it's Disney and John Lasseter has a say in it.
I'm on Twitter.

Dr. Jerk
On a Flight into Space

Postby Dr. Jerk » 13 years ago

They might have been ever so slightly, but the point still stands. Yes perhaps he was more aware that he was a robot in the 2003 series, but he did try to identify himself as a human in some ways.

And not all of the memories were wiped out when he was reactivated, they started to return to him.

Astronomical girl
Banned

Postby Astronomical girl » 13 years ago

Astro having Tobio's memories i personally thought was logical becuase Tenma wanting Astro to be like Tobio him having Tobio's memories is very reasonable
Unyongnekasayo

Ghost
Banned

Postby Ghost » 13 years ago

Well yea, I mean if I was going to make a robot replacement for my kid or anyone in my family. I would put their memories in the robot unless I couldn't for some reason. I wouldn't give them machine guns, and jets and all that. Never really understood why Tenma did that other than he didn't want him dying twice.

Astronomical girl
Banned

Postby Astronomical girl » 13 years ago

as the song from 007 goes "you only live twice" :P
Unyongnekasayo

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”