144 LOST FRIENDSHIP

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
ASTROBUDDY
Robot President

Postby ASTROBUDDY » 13 years ago

"Dr. Jerk" wrote:Read Tezuka's intro to Denkou again.

He said that at the time, many kids were sending in their own manga to publishing companies as part of some sort of contest or something, and Ishimori was one of them, which Tezuka caught notice and notified for him. Ishimori was still a kid when he was asked to do the backgrounds of the Denkou chapter.

Sorry, still don't get your point! But check this out and see if you agree! Cyborg 009 is said to have started around 1963 or 1964, (depending on which source material you use) and this episode was aired in late 1965, so that the animators may have been aware of the new manga created by one of Tezuka's proteges and maybe created a resemblance in the characters as an homage or tip of the hat to Ishimori or maybe Ishimori did work on the episode. Was Ishimori also an animator or did he only work in the manga medium?

I :heart: :astro: :)

Dr. Jerk
On a Flight into Space

Postby Dr. Jerk » 13 years ago

According to wikipedia, Ishimori was a mangaka who moved onto doing a lot of tokusatsu works. It doesn't appear that he was an animator.

ASTROBUDDY
Robot President

"Dr. Jerk" wrote:According to wikipedia, Ishimori was a mangaka who moved onto doing a lot of tokusatsu works. It doesn't appear that he was an animator.

And according to his bio @ the Anime News Network, in 1963, he founded the anime production company "Studio Zero"! So I guess that would make him an animator!

I :heart: :astro: :D

Dr. Jerk
On a Flight into Space

Just because one person founds an animation studio, doesn't automatically make them an animator.

The Tawashi Bus Hat
Robot President

Postby The Tawashi Bus Hat » 13 years ago

That one guy looked a lot like Kikaider... *wink*
*dust*

ASTROBUDDY
Robot President

"Dr. Jerk" wrote:Just because one person founds an animation studio, doesn't automatically make them an animator.

What does that make him then, an entrepreneur?

I would think that one of Tezuka's proteges would like to follow in his footsteps and be an animator in the way Tezuka was. It is not that big a stretch for a manga artist to use cels to draw on, since cels are made one at a time and are animated after a series of cels have been completed!
(For an example of a comic book artist who also was animator, I give you Jack KIrby! You have heard of Jack Kirby? If not he is the co-creator of the Fantastic Four comic book and the character, Captain America! (Soon to be a major motion picture!)

But let me ask you this. Would it not be great if Tezuka and Ishimori worked on this episode together in some fashion and it would be like Tezuka is approving of his protege's creation. And one can be considered an animator even if they did not directly take ink to cel!

Dr. Jerk
On a Flight into Space

I'm just saying,

You cannot assume everything, which is exactly what you have been doing the entire damn time.

ASTROBUDDY
Robot President

"Dr. Jerk" wrote:I'm just saying,

You cannot assume everything, which is exactly what you have been doing the entire damn time.

Okay, I will just come out and say it. If you start an animation studio, yes that makes you an animator!

So tell me what is your defination of an animator?

I :heart: :astro: :p :lol:

Dr. Jerk
On a Flight into Space

Someone who actually animates.

Opening a studio =/= actually animating something.

Why the hell should I explain anything. You freaking don't listen or understand a thing I say.

ASTROBUDDY
Robot President

"Dr. Jerk" wrote:Someone who actually animates.

Opening a studio =/= actually animating something.

Why the hell should I explain anything. You freaking don't listen or understand a thing I say.

Temper, temper!

There are all kinds of different jobs that go into an animation studio. Are you then saying a person who directs an anime is not an animator. Tezuka was considered an animator even though, I'm sure, he may not have taken brush to cel. I was using the term "animator' in a broader sense than you are.

Any way I think we have gone way off topic. Ishimori may not have had anything to do with this episode, but what if he did? Hmm!

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”